Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 06:50 AM

Default Re: I am currently reading...

I read the other Story of Philosophy. It's really short and just a very broad overview but it has nice pictures :P

Thx, for the update.

[ QUOTE ]
Copleston has his biases as well, the series was originally conceived as an in-depth course for Catholic Seminary students. He assumes that you speak greek and latin, as well as german and french, which I know you have covered, and liberally uses quotes and citations from those languages without translating them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know Greek and my Latin is a little rusty but I should be able to understand most stuff. My french should be on about the same level as the Latin, my German is of course flawless (actually I think it's close to impossible to make sense of Kant in German for non natives unless you really put effort into mastering all fine nuances) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
If you can read Kant and understand why a priori knowledge is a concern and if you read Schopenhauer's Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung and understood it then you already have a better foundation in modern philosophical thought than most people. If you didn't understand why Kant was so obsessed with the nature of what is knowable and so forth, this series looks to be the best overview available.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I got the a priori stuff covered. Mainly from rediscovering it through economics. Mainly this theory (it started out vert Kantian but was since moved to a more Aristotelian/Thomian context): Praxeology
Old 05-30-2007, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(actually I think it's close to impossible to make sense of Kant in German for non natives unless you really put effort into mastering all fine nuances) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

/agree from a non-native's perspective
Old 05-30-2007, 09:40 AM

I don't recommend actually reading Kant in any language unless you are already insane.