Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2007, 03:24 AM

Default Re: What\'s your retirement nut?

i need like 100 mil to retire. i highly doubt i will ever truly retire. there will always be something i wanna do to make money, be it build a condo develpment or a new apt complex, or just study diff investments and mess around with the market. ill always be doing SOMETHING. life would be too boring if not. i do want to have a mil invested though by the time im 23. shouldnt be TOO tough, and itd pretty much set me up for life. this would ofc be money i wouldnt touch till im old and frail. baby steps baby steps. holla
Old 01-16-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
some of these people saying they need 5M to retire, let me plug in some numbers:

Let's say I earn 50k/year from age 20-80, lifetime I will have made 3M pretax. These people retire too. On top of them being able to retire, the 5M can earn interest while you are retired....

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point is people will say $10m and then likely 'retire' at $5mm, but if you get to $10m fast or easily, then it becomes $25m, then $100m, then etc.

My personal # is $10m.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:34 PM

The other huge difference is that the math people are using includes trying to collapse on the finish line and use your last penny as you die. Leave your kids absolutely nothing.

Part of reason for my math was always assumption that you are not really touching principal. If you don't mind dying broke and taking risk of running out it takes a lot less money. My main point in this thread is all the kids who say to a guy who wins $1m "you are set for life", etc. Its not even close for a 20 something.