Pacific Poker 47 6.58%
WPX 40 5.60%
William Hill 28 3.92%
True Poker 17 2.38%
I don't play Poker online 0 0%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 04:46 AM

Default Re: Going All In Before The Flop....

OK I am putting $1000 on the line for anyone who wants to take the bet. I will deal you AA and deal myself 7 8 suited. I will then deal the flop, turn and river. I will do this 20 times. If AA wins all 20 times I pay you $1000 if AA loses just once you pay me $1000. Would you take this bet? Again people read everything I am saying, I am not saying not to go all in with AA. I am just saying there might be a few times when you shouldn't. Like being in a multi-pot when you are on the button...why risk it..wait till you are heads up or up against a short stack so you dont have to risk all your chips. Especially at the beginning of a tournament....risking being knocked out of a tournament in a multiway pot to win 4500 in chips, when at the final table chip counts could be in the millions is not worth it.....later in the tournament when you have a chance to win 100000's of chips, its worth it.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK I am putting $1000 on the line for anyone who wants to take the bet. I will deal you AA and deal myself 7 8 suited. I will then deal the flop, turn and river. I will do this 20 times. If AA wins all 20 times I pay you $1000 if AA loses just once you pay me $1000. Would you take this bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course not, because we know AA is ~73% favorite in this spot, and thus we expect to lose to you on four of those hands.

The thing is, unlike you, we also know that GETTING ALL OUR CHIPS IN AS A 73% FAVORITE IS A HUGE ADVANTAGE IN A TOURNAMENT, AND PASSING IT UP WOULD BE RIDICULOUS, IF WINNING WAS OUR PRIMARY GOAL.

I propose you show me a scenario in which you, as a tournament player, consistently have a better than 73% chance of doubling your stack. If you can do this, maybe you should fold AA.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, in order to take advantage of those stealing and situations against shorter stacks, you have to have chips first. There are less risks to take early in a tournament as well because everyone is deeper stacked in relation to the blinds. Therefore, you see little preflop all in confrontations early in big tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

From good players you see little all in action...but there are always plenty of bad ones pushing it all in. Especially in online tournaments.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK I am putting $1000 on the line for anyone who wants to take the bet. I will deal you AA and deal myself 7 8 suited. I will then deal the flop, turn and river. I will do this 20 times. If AA wins all 20 times I pay you $1000 if AA loses just once you pay me $1000. Would you take this bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

The dumbest thing ever written by a human being.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes

[/ QUOTE ]

mscaces, maybe you would save yourself some headache (and a lot of berating replies) if you took the time to read Harrington on Holdem Vol. 2, as linked above, and then came back to the forum. Might give you a better perspective and framework for this discussion. It's a great book.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...but there are always plenty of bad ones pushing it all in. Especially in online tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

bah, you caught me.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From good players you see little all in action...

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear Phil Ivey wins your chips just by staring you down with his shifty eyes. Hellmuth, on the other hand, just knocks you out with a chair.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The dumbest thing ever written by a human being.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH
Old 12-27-2006, 07:39 AM

Wow. Of all the forms of poker where you need to know how to gamble just.. wow.

I'm gonna go to the Wynn and tell the SUCKERS to stop dealing blackjack.

Use OPs scenario except it's not even 73/27, now it's almost 50/50! Waiiii risky!

PS

I love OP too
Old 12-27-2006, 07:41 AM

Personally, I would never consider going all in preflop, especially with AA, it alwayus loses, because internet poker is rigged.

This one time, at poker camp, i had AA in the bb. Nine people limped to me, and i just called, just to make sure there was no overcard to my black aces on the flop.

Well, i was quite happy when the flop came Ad Ah 10s.

I decided to slowplay my quads, so i checked the flop. The guy after me bet the pot, and all nine players called. I just called.

The turn was the J diamonds. Everyone checked. The river was the q diamonds. I checked, the guy after me bet his last 100 dollars into this five thousand dollar pot.

Everyone folded back to me.

I had heard about suck bets, where one has the nuts, and makes a tiny bet, hoping it to be called.

Reassessing my situation, i accurately surmised that, yes, i had quad aces, there was five thousand dollars in the pot, and i would have had to put another hundred in to be shown the obvious hand that the villain had, the K 10 of diamonds, and had picked up the obvious runner runner cards on the turn and river to nail his royal flush.

This story is proof that you should NEVER, EVER EVER get all of your money in pf (even if you are probably a 5 or 6 to one favourite), OR even on the flop, even with flopped four of a kind, unless there is not even a remote possibility of being beaten by a straight flush.

Personally, I would be very very careful about the bottom end of straight flushes as well. ie if you have 67d and the board is 8 9 10d, just check/fold it to the river, because someone who bets will ALWAYs have the j q diamonds

If you ever make a raise preflop, or a bet on the flop, turn or river without the absolute stone cold nuts (AND without the possibility of being outdrawn), it is my sincere belief that you are a pathological gambler (if you dont believe me, it is just your denial speaking, and i feel your pain) and i suggest you get along to the local chapter of gamblers anonymous.
Closed Thread