Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2006, 02:07 AM

Default Re: NBC/NFL waste flex scheduling on Favre\'s finale.

[ QUOTE ]
MEbenhoe,

How do you feel about the posible comeback of Favre? Everyone else in the country thinks he should retire, I'm just curious on the opinion of his hometown fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm happy either way. I hope he makes whatever decision he is happy with, but I hope he makes it a lot quicker this year, which I think he will.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Packers could avoid all of this trouble by giving Favre the Jerry Rice in San Francisco treatment

While the Packers' handling of Favre has been very classy, they are doing their fans a disservice by allowing Favre to take them for a ride like this

[/ QUOTE ]

The easy thing to do would be to just tell him in private, "Brett, we really need to have a decision by xxx." I don't think they'd even need to issue any ultimatums or anything. If they specifically ask him to do that, I doubt he'd go out of his way to screw them by not doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better yet, GB could tell Favre privately that the decision to return is up to him, but that they are starting the new guy next year and will be bringing him along. Favre can retire, ask for a trade, or mentor the new guy (not likely). Even Favre has to understand he's setting back the development of the heir apparent.

Oh yeh, based on the options available, they picked the best game for Sunday night.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the worst 3rd string QB in the NFL is a better than average QB.

[/ QUOTE ]

not by NFL standards he isn't.

you could make this semantical argument about every position in every major-league sport.

"Joe Shmoe is a crappy point-guard. I don't think he's very good at all."

"He's still better-than-average compared with all the other point-guards who weren't good enough to make an NBA team."

Ummm, okay. So what?

Favre is not a top-level QB anymore and I think it's pretty well-known that his skills have deteriorated significantly.

That said, the Packers did a lot better and came much closer to making the playoffs then I ever would have thought possible.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

the worst 3rd string QB in the NFL is a better than average QB.

[/ QUOTE ]

not by NFL standards he isn't.

you could make this semantical argument about every position in every major-league sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I originally said it depends what you mean by top-level in response to:

[ QUOTE ]
Favre either doesn't realize that he's not a top-level QB anymore ...or does and he's maybe a little more selfish than he's made out to be. Both are kinda sad imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're saying top-level = top 5 qbs in NFL for example, I'm pretty sure Favre realizes he's not that good any more. If on the other hand top-level means good enough to start for most teams then there's really no argument. Either way the quoted portion is wrong.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:20 PM

IMHO Favre still has the physical skills to be a middling to good QB (on the level of Rothlisberger, Romo, McNabb/Garcia, etc. etc.) if his decision making wasn't so incredibly bad. He's always been a really dumb QB but he used to have one-of-a-kind skills to make up for it, and now he just has nothing.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:27 PM

While you said it a little more harshly than I would have I think I partly agree.

Something to be said for his leadership abilities though and that's some pretty important stuff alone.

this team won more games then they should have and I think he deserves significant credit for that.

Otherwise, I would think your points are correct.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:37 PM

I'm still bitter cuz Favre almost single handedly ruined the seasons of some good 49er's teams back in the 90's. You never knew if Favre was going to show up and just throw ridiculous good passes that make his team look way better than it is or ridiculous bad passes and throw away a game they easily could have won.

Anyway, he doesn't have a style that can handle his degrading abilities; someone like Brad Johnson or Jon Kitna can play well into old age because they are smart enough to stop trying the passes they can't make any more.

Favre's always fun to watch, though. Hopefully he gets a last minute drive to make the score GB 7 - CHI 35 tonight [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2006, 07:01 PM

I agree this was a wasted good game on part of the NFL. Much rather have seen another game.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:10 PM

I wonder how much Madden has creamed in his pants about calling this game.