Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2006, 09:07 PM

Default Re: 50k Challenge reopened with higher stakes

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of course I don't want to outlaw the church, I want the church held accoutnable for it's misdeeds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rest assured each individually will be judged on their acts. Least ways, that's how I understand the deal.

[/ QUOTE ]Do you mean to say that a mere belief in Jesus's resurection makes one worthy of skirting judgement. Do you even realize how evil that sounds. It is more ridiculous, not less, than believing that matyrnig yourself for God's will, will get you into heaven.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:23 PM

I believe you already know he wasn't saying that - and he wasn't skirting judgements at all..

I hate the idea of judgement - but if it has to be done then who better to make it than God himself.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe you already know he wasn't saying that - and he wasn't skirting judgements at all..

I hate the idea of judgement - but if it has to be done then who better to make it than God himself.

[/ QUOTE ]I didn't know what he meant. I have no idea what he thinks this judgement is. I believe to have a belief that everything is magically made OK in the afterlife is ridiculous.

Why does anyone else attempt to pass their own judgements as God's? It's always just your judgement, and it's much better than the anceint texts you want to use.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:31 PM

Hey Mr DougShrapnel,

I value both faith and reason very strongly -
I value common sense, reason and a sound mind. These two things aren't exclusive of one another.

Are you aware that the proverbs are filled with scriptures urging us to seek after wisdom and make clear descisions using common sense.
What I have read isn't blinding but revealling - so we're not all that bad really, us christians.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:04 PM

Bluff,

If African Catholics are more conservative wouldn't it be more difficult to obtain a condom in the community. Also, possession of a condom would be sort of a taboo, right? Obviously, many do not follow the no pre-marital sex idea, it goes against all of our urges, but using a condom isn't an urge. Actually, I'd say a condom is a necessary nuisance. What do you think?
Old 12-26-2006, 10:43 PM

JT,

I have already said I was talking primarily about habitual actions, in which case someone is much more likely to use a condom. And why should it be more difficult to obtain condoms? Even in majority catholic countries non-catholics are going to sell them, and the gov't is going to distribute them.

Doug,

You still didn't answer my question. So I'm not going to answer any more of yours.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:56 PM

Bluff,

Let's look at another point. Many women in African countries do not choose their spouse. Many married women are infected by their husbands. They do not have the choice to abstain from sex in these situations. Do you feel that use of condoms in these situations is morally wrong? Do you deny any of my points?
Old 12-26-2006, 11:03 PM

Well put.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Doug,

You still didn't answer my question. So I'm not going to answer any more of yours.

[/ QUOTE ] I did answer yours, twice now. Not in the fashion you wanted me to, but it's an honest answer. I'll ask another one, Should muslim martyrs be able to do what ever is in thier scirpture just because it's what they believe? If not why should i think you are different?

No, I don't think you are a murderer, but is your motivation any different than theirs? Does that not give you pause? That your beliefs, your faith, are as real as their beliefs, their faith. If not explain to me the difference.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:50 AM

JayTee, I have to thank you for bringing the goods.