Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 03:28 AM

Default Re: ask KDawg about Jazz

[ QUOTE ]
No love for Arthur Blythe?

[/ QUOTE ]

you meam Hamiet Blueitt?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:49 AM

coolest name in jazz? I've always liked pithecanthicus erectus.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you meam Hamiet Blueitt?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I meant Blythe. In the early 1980s, he was involved with some great, unusual groups. He had a very distinctive voice, but I can easily imagine that many would not be impressed. And I suspect he came across much better live.

His "In the Tradition" album, though - with the great pianist Stanley Cowell - is quite good.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you meam Hamiet Blueitt?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I meant Blythe. In the early 1980s, he was involved with some great, unusual groups. He had a very distinctive voice, but I can easily imagine that many would not be impressed. And I suspect he came across much better live.

His "In the Tradition" album, though - with the great pianist Stanley Cowell - is quite good.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I didn't doubt you knew who you were talking about. I haven't heard any wsq with blythe. it just reminded me of hte name of the 4th of the original guys. blueitt in wsq was the first time time I paid much attention to baritone sax.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:38 PM

Gonna bump this because, well, because I can.

I just added Sketches of Spain, In a Silent Way and 'Round About Midnight by Miles to my iPod playlist. Any random thoughts or anything on these albums?

Of the Miles albums that I've listened to a decent amount I would say Kind of Blue > In a Silent Way > 'Round About Midnight > Sketches of Spain. Which Miles albums do you think I should look into next?

Of the Coltrane albums that I've listened to a decent amount I would say My Favourite Things > Giant Steps > Blue Train > Ole. What Coltrane albums do you think I should look into next?
Old 12-18-2006, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of the Miles albums that I've listened to a decent amount I would say Kind of Blue > In a Silent Way > 'Round About Midnight > Sketches of Spain. Which Miles albums do you think I should look into next?

[/ QUOTE ]
Since you like In a Silent Way better than Round About Midnight, maybe his second Quintet would be the next starting point. He released 7 albums in this period. In chronological order, they are ESP, Miles Smiles, Sorcerer, Nefertiti, Miles in the Sky, and Filles de Kilimanjaro. You might want to try Filles because it is his first album that exclusively used electric keyboard and bass (as opposed to piano and acoustic bass). If you want to stick to his acoustic period, I'd start with Miles Smiles or Sorcerer.

[ QUOTE ]
Of the Coltrane albums that I've listened to a decent amount I would say My Favourite Things > Giant Steps > Blue Train > Ole. What Coltrane albums do you think I should look into next?

[/ QUOTE ]

A Love Supreme. Great album. Not as far out there as his later stuff, but still more adventurous than his earlier stuff.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gonna bump this because, well, because I can.

I just added Sketches of Spain, In a Silent Way and 'Round About Midnight by Miles to my iPod playlist. Any random thoughts or anything on these albums?

[/ QUOTE ]

gus gave you some good stuff, you should also check out the complete concert: 4+more. It is essentially the second quintet, but with George Coleman as the Tenor. They stretch things there. You should also check out the Plugged Nickel shows. That is teh second quintet before they started to go electric but were really stretching. I think though before you check out Filles De Kilamanjaro, you should go with Miles in the Sky. That is easily one of my favorite albums. Once you get used to that stuff, then its time for Bitc.hes Brew(i'm bypassing the filter because its the name of the album). You need to work up to that album as it is almost a complete departure from anything that you have heard from Miles before

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like gus said, A love Supreme is very good. Check out Coltrane Jazz. Its on Atlantic and is a great album with a killer cut of the Night has a THousand Eyes. You should also check out, Live at the Village Vanguard. Its a great album, and if you have the extra money, I would really suggest ponying up for the complete boxed set
Old 12-19-2006, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it would definetly be in my 5* album list

[/ QUOTE ]

What else is on your 5* album list?

[/ QUOTE ]

john coltrane- giant steps and bluetrane
dizzy gilespie- sonny side up
miles davis- sketches of spain, the 58 stella by starlight sessions
stan getz- sweet rain
art blakey- moanin, free for all
bill evans- live at the village vanguard, waltz for debby

i can come up with more later as I'm playing right now

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry gus, I really meant to get back to this and kept on forgetting. I think taht what I'll do is list a bunch of albums that are in the 4 1/2*+ category as person to person things may come off a bit different, but all of these albums are must owns IMO for anyone who is into jazz

this is going to be in completely random order as per my own trane of thought. I will only focus on small groups save for two ellington albums that are the height of compostion:

Duke Ellington: Far East Suite, And His Mother Called him Bill(all billy strayhorn tunes as this album was done soon after his death in honor of him. The passion of all of the players is immensense for the loss of their good friend)

John Coltrane(I have already mentioned a few in this thread, so this will be ones that I haven't mentioned): With Johnny Hartman, Ballads. I would have more, but any Trane album that I have already mentioned is a must buy IMO

Art Blakey: Free For All(god this album rocks), Indestructable, Mosaic, Moanin, Three BLind Mice

Larry Young: Unity(this is a must of all of the musts. A flawless album)

Joe Henderson: Inner Urge, A shade of Jade, Live at the Lighthouse(real hard to find, but worth it), Live at the Village Vanguard(trio with Charlie Haden and Paul Motian), w/the wynton kelly trio:FOUR!(this live album is perfect. Listen for his sick 7+ minute solo for on the trail), Relaxin at Camarillo

McCoy Tyner: The Real McCoy, New York Reunion(hard to find but soooo worth it)

Chick Corea: Now he Sings, Now he Sobs, Inner Space, 3 quartets, Light as a Feather

Freddie Hubbard: Red Clay, Reddie For Freddie, I forget the name, but look for a Double Disc with Woody Shaw and Kenny Garret, and listen for the awesomeness that is their version of Eternal Triangle

SOnny Rollins(he's my biggest influence btw): Sound of Sonny, Tenor Madness(where he owns trane hard at the title track), The Bridge, Way Out West, the Freedom Suite, Saxophone Collosus(this album is perfect), w/Clifford Brown, the Live at the village vanguard sets, Newk's Time

Jimmy Smith: the Sermon, House Party. THere is a great one w/wes montgomery which the name slips me right now

Wes Montgomery: smokin at the half note. I really don't know much about Wes, but this album rules

Herbie Hancock: okay, I hate doing this, but, buy anything of his that is on the blue note label. Seriously, there is some amazing [censored] that he does and his voicings are just insane. Headhunters

Lee Morgan: The Rumproller(if you ever come across me on stars, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out who I am. My stars SN is a bit different from this), Sidewinder, Search For New Land

Charles Mingus: Pithycanthropus Erectus, Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, Mingus x5, Blues and Roots. THere are a bunch of great live albums out there too, the names change everyso often, so if you see a live Mingus album, buy it

Branford Marsalis: Requiem, Footsteps of our Fathers(this one just blew me away, when he does the freedome suite, he sounds like sonny and when he does a love supreme you think you are listening to trane), Contemporary Jazz

Andrew Hill: point of departure

Bobby Hutcherson: stick up

Ornette Coleman: the shape of Jazz to come

Wayne Shorter: JuJu, Night Dreamer, Speak no Evil

Dexter Gordon: Go!, A swingin affair

Thelonius Monk: Brilliant Corners, w/John COltrane

stan Getz: serenity(to go along w/sweet rain up there), captain marvel
Old 12-19-2006, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Freddie Hubbard: Red Clay, Reddie For Freddie, I forget the name, but look for a Double Disc with Woody Shaw and Kenny Garret, and listen for the awesomeness that is their version of Eternal Triangle

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the double album you are referring to, but I have the same group (released jointly as a Freddie Hubbard/Woodie Shaw album) calledd Double Take.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the double album you are referring to, but I have the same group (released jointly as a Freddie Hubbard/Woodie Shaw album) calledd Double Take.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it might've been released seperately when it first came out, but you can now buy it on disc as a double album