Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Multi-platform games - 3 System Showdown

[ QUOTE ]
Another 3 paragraph rambling reply, and you continue to refuse to simply to clarify what sort of game/genre you want. What a suprise.

[/ QUOTE ]

My very first post after getting the 360:

3rd person action/adventure (not shooter)
Decent RPG - not one to just bide time on
Non-linear games
Games w/ evolving characters w/ customization

I don't like tactical shooters, or shooters in general, sports games for the most part get boring quickly and I don't like racers. Fighting games are meh, I've had enough button mashing games for one lifetime. So please, enlighten me on the vast array of games I've researched, yet somehow missed that would spark my interest. Like I said, I'm going to wait for GTA to come out, play Halo 3, and know that more great games are coming.

As a side note I like how you expect me to address everything you have to say, yet you only pick out pieces of what I post and anything that actually has validity you conveniently ignore. Hmmm, yet I'm trolling you?
Old 10-12-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Disregarding a source you don't agree with out of hand as trollish is a pretty solid arguing tactic. Joystiq is entirely disreputable.

[/ QUOTE ]

The joystiq article is requoting a Official Playstation Magazine article out of context. In context it looks completely different. Here it is:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=163233

I came across a few articles that make it seem like PS3 is at fault for the delay.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161715
[ QUOTE ]
Still, Take-Two Chairman Strauss Zelnick doesn't anticipate the delay affecting the contract. "We're not gonna send money back to Microsoft," he said. "That's not part of the deal."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-12-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Disregarding a source you don't agree with out of hand as trollish is a pretty solid arguing tactic. Joystiq is entirely disreputable.

[/ QUOTE ]

The joystiq article is requoting a Official Playstation Magazine article out of context. In context it looks completely different. Here it is:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=163233

I came across a few articles that make it seem like PS3 is at fault for the delay.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161715
[ QUOTE ]
Still, Take-Two Chairman Strauss Zelnick doesn't anticipate the delay affecting the contract. "We're not gonna send money back to Microsoft," he said. "That's not part of the deal."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That quote means absolutely nothing. That quote means that there is in fact a delay and that Microsoft will not get any money back for the delay. It doesn't give any reason why there is a delay or the source of any issues.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:17 AM

...you're kidding right? Nobody would think Microsoft had any right to ask for compensation for the delay if it were the fault of the 360.

And more evidence:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161737

[ QUOTE ]
From our few demos, the 360 version seemed to be getting close, with mostly framerate issues that needed fixing (though we only saw small portions of the game), so one would hope it'd be sooner than later. But then again, we have never seen the PS3 version in action, which I have a feeling is what's holding things back.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-12-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...you're kidding right? Nobody would think Microsoft had any right to ask for compensation for the delay if it were the fault of the 360.

And more evidence:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161737

[ QUOTE ]
From our few demos, the 360 version seemed to be getting close, with mostly framerate issues that needed fixing (though we only saw small portions of the game), so one would hope it'd be sooner than later. But then again, we have never seen the PS3 version in action, which I have a feeling is what's holding things back.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is real good evidence. It's a bunch of guys that got to see the 360 version. Last thing that came from Rockstar stated that the PS3 version was about a week behind the 360 version. That doesn't cause a 3 month delay.

As for the quote, any project that is late would have consequences and as a client w/ a contract I'm sure M$ isn't happy for any delay, no matter the reason. Development just takes a while.

Fact is that this game is going to be huge w/ the great elements taken from the great games and it takes time to develop. It's going to push both systems further than any game so far. They are working directly w/ members from both M$ and $ony to complete the game. No one knows how far the PS3 version is besides rockstar.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Another 3 paragraph rambling reply, and you continue to refuse to simply to clarify what sort of game/genre you want. What a suprise.

[/ QUOTE ]

My very first post after getting the 360:

3rd person action/adventure (not shooter)
Decent RPG - not one to just bide time on
Non-linear games
Games w/ evolving characters w/ customization

I don't like tactical shooters, or shooters in general, sports games for the most part get boring quickly and I don't like racers. Fighting games are meh, I've had enough button mashing games for one lifetime. So please, enlighten me on the vast array of games I've researched, yet somehow missed that would spark my interest. Like I said, I'm going to wait for GTA to come out, play Halo 3, and know that more great games are coming.

As a side note I like how you expect me to address everything you have to say, yet you only pick out pieces of what I post and anything that actually has validity you conveniently ignore. Hmmm, yet I'm trolling you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kameo, Crackdown, Dead Rising, Saints Row, Blue Dragon, Viva Pinata, Enchanted Arms if you enjoy tactical combat, Overlord, Eternal Sonata, Ninety Nine Nights. That's 10 games off the top of my head. Demos are available for most of those games on Live as well - although I'd mention that the Blue Dragon demo is HORRIBLE. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Several of those games can also be purchased for less than $30 now. I'd also strongly recommend Fight Night Round 3. I'm also not a fan of sports games at all, but the controls in that game give it long lasting appeal and a really unique flavor. There's a demo on Live.

I also can't help but wonder about the strange disjunction between what sort of games you say you're looking for and the fact that the only games you plan on buying are Halo 3 and Gears of War - two FPS...? In any case check out XBox live, you can find demos sorted by genre.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:57 AM

You don't think if Rockstar had a demo version for the PS3 they would have sent it to reviewers by now?

[ QUOTE ]

As for the quote, any project that is late would have consequences and as a client w/ a contract I'm sure M$ isn't happy for any delay, no matter the reason. Development just takes a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything I have heard about the agreement between Microsoft and Rockstar has basically said that Microsoft bought a simultaneous launch not a launch date.

[ QUOTE ]
Last thing that came from Rockstar stated that the PS3 version was about a week behind the 360 version. That doesn't cause a 3 month delay.

[/ QUOTE ]

....so the latest word from Rockstar says the PS3 version is a week behind the 360 version and yet you're posting that the 360's lack of space is the reason for the delay?

So if the PS3 version is a week behind the 360 version, and we get a 3 month delay, to me that makes it seem like neither system is at fault and the developers wanted more time to work out the kinks. If this is the case I think it's a good thing since GTA3 and Vice City were both glitch ridden.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:19 AM

And re: the GTAIV issue. Nobody will ever know exactly what the cause of the delay is/was, at least not until NDAs expire some very long time from now. But a few things stood out to me from this same debate a couple of months back:

1. All demos/gameplay footage have been shown from 360 consoles. The PS3 version was never once shown.

2. Rockstar was unwilling or unable to provide any footage of GTAIV to Sony for E3, in spite of Sony's requests for such material.

3. GTA IV is using the RAGE engine. This engine has been used in exactly one game so far, and that game was a 360 exclusive.

4. General factoring of the difficulty developers have had with the PS3, as well as performance issues. GTA IV is probably going to be the biggest title the PS3 will see for a while. Anything less than completely equal to the 360 version (sans the extra content) would be completely unacceptable, and I have no doubt that Sony negotiated a guarantee for such in their contract for this game.

I mean just about every single PS3 release has been getting delayed lately. GTA IV was not the exception.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also can't help but wonder about the strange disjunction between what sort of games you say you're looking for and the fact that the only games you plan on buying are Halo 3 and Gears of War - two FPS...?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the reason I don't want/need another one. And I thought GoW was a 3rd person game... I'll probably pass if it's a FPS. I'm really excited for Mass Effect.

Kameo looks cheesy as hell, have you played it? Is it any good? That's more like the games I enjoy. I like building a character up and having the option of doing it differently the next time I play.

Overlord looks ok, but I question the replay value. I'll wait for GTA instead of Saints Row. Crackdown looks meh, w/ little replay value, again, I'll wait for GTA. Dead Rising looks good, I'll try that out, but I've heard the save system sucks and it becomes fairly repetitive. Viva Pinata looks interesting, but not really my cup of tea. Enchanted Arms may look like something I'll get when it's $15 used and I've heard 99 Nights is terrible.

Launch titles aren't good. Can you name 2 PS2 launch titles? I can name one, but the point is that launch titles are there to appease the masses while good games are in development. I think the first taste is in Halo 3 (which looks incredible compared to Halo 2) and should get even better throughout the winter. I'm still going to wait because I know in 2 years no one will remember even half the titles you suggested.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:08 PM

Ace, try the demos on Live. Judging a game without ever playing it usually isn't a good idea. Most every game you mentioned in your replay has a demo on Live. Ninenty Nine Nights, for example, is the most fun I've ever had in a kill 5billion enemies at once type game. Obviously to each their own, but you'd never know unless you try it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And Crackdown has MASSIVE replay value. In alot of ways it's just a big sandbox. You do have goals, but it's mostly about having fun interacting with the environment. In fact, there's an option to reset all the bosses that was added after players demanded it.

And not sure what you mean launch titles aren't good. The XBox launch had a little game called Halo: Combat Evolved. The PS2 had numerous titles including SSX, Dynasty Warriors 2 and Street Fighter EX3 for starters. There are at least a few others I'm forgetting.