Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2006, 03:22 PM

Default Re: The Wonder of it all, When will foxwoods get it all right?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Comparing DD coffee to Starbucks is like comparing a McDonald's hamburger to filet mignon.

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the proper analogy is "Comparing Starbucks coffee to Dunkin Donuts coffee is like comparing a mice-powered wheel to rocket fuel."

[/ QUOTE ]
Other way around. Starbucks=much more caffeine than Dunkin. But Dunkin is way better.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Comparing DD coffee to Starbucks is like comparing a McDonald's hamburger to filet mignon.

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the proper analogy is "Comparing Starbucks coffee to Dunkin Donuts coffee is like comparing a mice-powered wheel to rocket fuel."

[/ QUOTE ]
Other way around. Starbucks=much more caffeine than Dunkin. But Dunkin is way better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, no. Most Starbucks roasts have less caffeine due to the use of higher temperature, and longer roasts. Heat destroys caffeine. You'll get the most kick for your buck with a nice mild roast from DD.

Which would be why I am grateful for the presence of that DD on Rte 2 when slithering my way back home at an ungodly hours.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:37 PM

"hayduke"

oh man, you're the reason I couldnt get my screen name

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, no. Most Starbucks roasts have less caffeine due to the use of higher temperature, and longer roasts. Heat destroys caffeine. You'll get the most kick for your buck with a nice mild roast from DD.

Which would be why I am grateful for the presence of that DD on Rte 2 when slithering my way back home at an ungodly hours.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, no. At least not according to this Slate.com article, which details analysis by Central Analytical Libraries (at the request of the Wall Street Journal) of Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts and 7-11 coffees. Guess which one had the highest caffeine content?

[ QUOTE ]
Starbucks must be banking on the theory that the people who buy its coffee don't just need coffee, they need Starbucks coffee, which packs a higher caffeine punch than many competitors. The Wall Street Journal earlier this year sent samples of coffee from Starbucks, 7-Eleven, and Dunkin' Donuts to Central Analytical Laboratories. The lab reported that a 16-ounce Starbucks house blend coffee contained 223 milligrams of caffeine, compared with 174 and 141 milligrams in comparable amounts of Dunkin' Donuts and 7-Eleven coffee, respectively. According to the Journal, the average Starbucks coffee drink contains 320 milligrams of caffeine. (This chart from the Center for Science in the Public Interest shows different measurement levels, including the scary finding that a 16-ounce Starbucks grande has nearly three times as much caffeine as a No-Doz.)

[/ QUOTE ]

And in any case, I've read numerous articles reporting that caffeine levels at all of these places are completely inconsistent.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:21 AM

Whoops. otnemem is correct, I was wrong. Guess I could've taken a moment to google a quick fact-check. (Or even shoot an email to an old friend who happens to work for the Starbucks mothership.) But why do that when it's more fun to blissfully assume I know everything already? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Lesson learned... I need to start purchasing two coffees from DD on the way home from the 'woods.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whoops. otnemem is correct, I was wrong. Guess I could've taken a moment to google a quick fact-check. (Or even shoot an email to an old friend who happens to work for the Starbucks mothership.) But why do that when it's more fun to blissfully assume I know everything already? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Lesson learned... I need to start purchasing two coffees from DD on the way home from the 'woods.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just ask 'em to float a couple shots of espresso in it. That should do ya.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:59 AM

Well, you could both be right...roasting the hell out of the bean reduces its caffeine content, but I'd be shocked if Starbucks wasn't using more beans per cup.

And on the Foxwoods thing, either they're uninterested in catering to high stakes poker players or they don't know how. If you're interested in the 'woods being a good place for big games, why not have a reasonable, adult discussion with the management about what could be improved? Either things will be changed for the better, or you'll get confirmation that they don't care.

Poker rooms everywhere are being run by people who don't know poker, so you could get a lot of "Ohhhh, I never thought of that! We'll do it right away."
Old 11-02-2006, 12:12 PM

It would certainly be constructive to try, but I get the distinct impression that the management there has about as much control over things as the average dealer, which is about the same as my ability to control the weather.

Foxwoods has always struck me as the sort of establishment where no one has the authority to decide anything, and everyone's just waiting to be told how high to jump.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:22 PM

You're probably right...but if any poker room in the world has no idea that it should cater to players of big games or how to do so, surely that poker room is Foxwoods.