Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2006, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Full Tilt Answers 10/18

Dear FT. Your software is laggy as hell, and consequently I have paid $4,500 in rake to another site so far this month.

Sincerely-

-Grey
Old 10-20-2006, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Full Tilt Answers 10/18

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Can you please explain how having a custom tab increases load on the server? A properly designed custom tab should be a client side feature that would reduce the load on the server.

[/ QUOTE ]

for it to be a client side only feature the client would have to get all of the lobby data always. that wouldn't take much load off the server.

but i guess what you mean is that the client only requests data matching its custom filters.
but this leads to thousands of different queries being executed on the server side each and every second.

depending on the data structure currently implemented this might very well pose a problem and could take a while to get properly refactored.

so i guess in the meantime its better to implement only a bunch of predefined filters (hopefully the ones which would be most useful) to reduce the load on the datastore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's just do the most naive thing possible. Take the code they have now which they seem to think has improved their network issues. Now we want to add a client side filter. To do this, don't change any of the data structures. Don't change any of the caching of the information. Don't change how data or what data is sent to the client. Don't change how and what the client requests. Leave everything exactly as it is in the existing code. Now, leaving the server exactly as it is and barely changing the client at all, add a filter on the client side that only lists the data the client user feels relevant. So instead of displaying the full lobby, add a few lines of code that list the data matching the user's specifications. Now we have a filter with no extra load on the server and very minimal changes to the client. This is something they could roll out in a day I am sure.

Now, with some work, the above could be improved upon significantly so I maintain that having a client side filter should bear no extra load on the server.