Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2006, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Help me find some good Jazz

Art Blakey - Moanin
Old 10-18-2006, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Help me find some good Jazz

whoever said my favourite things is too weird to listen to when you're getting into jazz is crazy-it was what got me into jazz,and i know the same can be said for several of my friends...

all the recommendations for ayler,coleman,sun ra,etc,on the other hand,are a bit ambitious-this stuff will sound crazy if you just dive into it....

for starting out,a bit of ellington is probably the best introduction to the big band end of things...

i think blue train by coltrane might be a good boppy album to start out with,there are others which are better but it'd make a good introduction to that kind of hard boppy sound,as would moanin' by art blakey...

for mingus,the black saint and the lady sinner is one of his best,if a bit anarchic,and blues and roots is probably a good introduction too...

i don't normally like piano jazz that much,but if you and you like miles,then ahmad jamal is great-his album ahmed's blues is a really great piano jazz album with a similar atmosphere to some of miles more relaxed stuff...
also,for this sort of thing,you should download the track "it never entered my mind" by miles davis,one of the nicest pieces of music ive ever heard...

someone mentioned saxaphone collosus by sonny rollins upthread,its another good album to get,also art pepper meets the rhythm section....