Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2006, 06:46 PM

Default Re: My Name Is Earl / The Office season premieres thread, 9/21

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
/agreed i watch tv for fun not to find problems to complain about. that doesnt sound like fun to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not like Dids went out of his way to see it. It was a huge glaring omision in the episode. It went like this Michael is inappropiate, Jan find outs, Oscar gets settlement, no mention of Michael. I don't know about you but I like my TV shows to be grounded to some sort of reality. If Michael can sexaully harass a employee and said employee gets settlement due to Michael's actions I expect some info about what happened to Michael. My point is the show choose to have Michaels actions effect Oscar, but it does not effect Michael that makes 0 sense.

[/ QUOTE ]
IMO what you guys are missing is that if you accept that Michael and Dwight exist to begin with, you've already suspended disbelief. They are cartoons; oblivious to reality. So I can live with other unreasonable stuff on top of it.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:10 PM

Crazy,

The thing is that Michael and Dwight aren't THAT far fetched at all.

The Michael and Dwight we saw last night were.

I still enjoyed the ep a lot, but I just thought that bit wasn't up to the quality I'm used to from the show.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The weatherman cut in during the last 10 minutes of The Office. He is freaking out about some tornado outside the viewing area. I called the breaking news line and said, "I've got a newsflash for you. You weatherman is an [censored] for interrupting the season premiere of primetime TV."

Still so pissed.

[/ QUOTE ]

the last ten minutes was by far the best part.

fin hilarious ending.

earl was meh as usual, but I'll continue to watch it as tv sucks now.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's like people purposely watch these shows to find a reason to dislike them.

[/ QUOTE ]

/agreed i watch tv for fun not to find problems to complain about. that doesnt sound like fun to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't watch enough tv, seriously. For someone that watches a lot, its easy to distinguish between the good and the bad, and you almost have to...the same can be applied to poker, or anything else that someone becomes very familiar with.

Its tough not to have an opinion on something you know so well.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not like Dids went out of his way to see it. It was a huge glaring omision in the episode. It went like this Michael is inappropiate, Jan find outs, Oscar gets settlement, no mention of Michael. I don't know about you but I like my TV shows to be grounded to some sort of reality. If Michael can sexaully harass a employee and said employee gets settlement due to Michael's actions I expect some info about what happened to Michael. My point is the show choose to have Michaels actions effect Oscar, but it does not effect Michael that makes 0 sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but that was the very, very end of the episode. We'll see next week if there is anything more to it. It's entirely possible.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely, no doubt about it. I'm a huge Seinfeld fan also, but I think this episode was funnier than any Seinfeld episode.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">"You don't call retarded people retards. You call your friends retards when they're acting retarded." </font>
Old 09-22-2006, 10:40 PM

Jamie Pressley should win an Emmy. She's the [censored].
Old 09-22-2006, 10:42 PM

To say that Michael would 100% be fired in any scenario is just ridiculous. I have worked in plenty of places and seen plenty of managers who were incompetent or offensive or both, and they didn't get fired. It was often inexplicable the way the companies valued some people and not others.

I agree that it's likely that in the real world, Michael would be disciplined, but I think it's weird to dismiss the entire show because you think that situation is impossible, and not just implausible.

P.S. I thought the episode was hilarious. "Maybe they're having a gay affair... you never know."
Old 09-22-2006, 10:50 PM

btw, these arguments about realism highlight the difference between the BBC and NBC version. The BBC version is cringeworthy because it could almost be real and is more subtle. The NBC version is a sit-com with the same premise but more scripted for laughs. Both funny (now), but both different.

<font color="blue">"I watch the L World, I watch Queer as [censored]"</font>
Old 09-22-2006, 11:01 PM

Tons of great 1-liners in this episode, and overall I loved it - but the whole kissing stuff was a little over the top, even for this show. A real world Oscar would have slugged either of those 2 for trying to kiss him(and they would never try to kiss him anyway).
-James