Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Dealing with a downswing

I highly recommend this old post from psychology - The 5 fundamental truths and 7 Rules of Consistency

I believe that everyone in a downswing should read this post!
Old 02-18-2007, 06:42 PM

Whatever happened to AZplaya anyway?
Old 02-18-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever happened to AZplaya anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-18-2007, 06:59 PM

I broke even at 50nl for over 35k hands
I've also lost 20BI's at 100nl when I used to play that high.

Now I am playing 25nl after having my ego/pride ripped out...now i have no pride.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Listen to all these losers crying about how "variance" caused some horrible downswing, and it's not
cause they suck at poker. Yeah right... Oh...wait a second...what the...oh holy geez...oh sweet mother...holy f*ck you gotta be kidding me...seriously...again? wtf, am I cursed? Ahhh....okay, I get it now...variance!

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, nice.

oh yeah, very good original post. i think the issue of dealing with bad runs is undoubtedly one of the most important concepts in the world of poker.

I have spent more time developing my tilt control and the ability to play my A+ game at all times more than anything over the last month and it has helped me to no end. Before i would be tilting off multiple buyins making ridiculous calls and bluffs whilst flaming at MSN to someone about "ANOTHER GOD DAMN 2 OUTER FFS!!!!" If this scenario sounds familiar to you then this post will be of great assistance.

I think that finding a way to avoid tilting when running bad is quite a personal thing and it takes a lot more effort than merely reading a post like this and going "hey yeah, thats a good idea!", because once you get back out onto the battlefield all those good intentions can be torn to shreds by the mere turn of a card. I honestly believe that always playing your best and never tilting based on results is one of the most, if not the most, important skill to have in order to succeed at this game. i am by no means perfect in this respect, but im working at it. its damn hard work, but i can assure you its worth the effort!
Old 06-10-2007, 06:48 PM

I'm bummping this because it's amazing and I really need to read it over and over again. I'm in the worst downswing of my poker career and this post is nailing some of the reasons I am sucking so hard.

I'm also taking the week off playing poker, to study poker as much as possible. You will see me posting on this forum like a crazy mo fo.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:28 AM

Googling.. 'poker downswing help' and found this gem.

This post is too good to ever die, so here is a late bump for all the new guys. It has inspired me to go for coffee and meditate.

New tools

Tools such as PokerEV can help to show you how you are playing irrespective of luck - unless you are super man - you would probably be playing worse than noraml, as you are getting smacked over the head again and again.

Its extremely useful - although it really does not make a difference to the downswing. At least you can keep some belief i your abilities if you can numerically prove you are playing winning poker.

PokerEV tool.. coming soon

Old 06-29-2007, 07:50 AM

Great post.Very refreshing,here i thought i was the only 2+2`er that didnt run at 20bb/100 all the time.Being able to deal with running bad from time to time and battling my ego has been and still is tougher than the actual gameplay for me most of the time,so i can relate.