Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Play of Middle Pocket Pairs - Preflop

you are hilarious
Old 07-18-2007, 10:21 PM

Vorhaus was the guy that said games are capped because someone could buyin for a huge amount and "Just go all-in all-in all-in while everyone folds. If they call, the cards just need to break his way one time."

Definitely respected.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you are hilarious

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent contribution.

Folks, if you cant provide anything useful to the discussion then quit posting for the sake of posting (and to increase your post count). If you have a problem with the points I have made, by all means, pick it apart; be constructive not destructive.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you are hilarious

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent contribution.

Folks, if you cant provide anything useful to the discussion then quit posting for the sake of posting (and to increase your post count). If you have a problem with the points I have made, by all means, pick it apart; be constructive not destructive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you agree that games are capped because someone could buyin for 2000BB and just go allin every hand?
Old 07-19-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am NOT presenting this point of view to advocate limping 100% of the time (which I made clear already in my OP).

[/ QUOTE ]
Then why are you presenting this point of view?

To show that it there exist a few situations where it's better to limp, because of stack sizes?
Old 07-19-2007, 07:10 PM

It's not generally considered the best strategy to limp when one is the first or the second one in. The position should also make no difference, and neither does the hand type. Except when it's e.g. a loose game.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Then why are you presenting this point of view?

To show that it there exist a few situations where it's better to limp, because of stack sizes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. But not just a few, I think its the most common situation. Therefore, players should use its advice and strategy most often. This is especially true for online play, where buyins are usually capped at 100 BB's. The times in which you would modify the strategy are saved for when your stack is either deep (200 bbs or more) or very small (around 10 bbs). But since most often the table will be composed of a majority of medium/averaged sized stacks then that is how you should play most of the time.

Lets say 70% of the time you will be playing with an average sized stack and everyone will have you covered or nearly covered. Then 70% of the time (a majority of the time) you should take their advice and limp. The rest of the time stack sizes will be different (either much deeper or short) and the optimal play changes OR you will be mixing up your play.

This is just to make the point that if a particular strategy is one which is optimal for the majority of the type of play you will be involved in, then you will be utilizing that strategy a majority of the time. So don't get hung up on the 70% number.

Oh, and the reason I started this was because I feel most of the 'hotshots' and over-aggro players on here play contrary to that. I'm not trying to say that it is the only correct way to play. Just that there are a lot of experts and professional players who feel differently and I for one agree with their point of view.