Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2006, 12:17 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Re: Jamie Gold \"Agent Resume\" Ripped Mercilessly by Hollywood Types

if i were jamie gold heres the plan:

take money, buy island, move to island, hang out.

rj
Old 08-17-2006, 02:42 PM

Gold was telling people he was the basis for the character Ari Gold.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why do you guys hate gold so much? im sorry but ive been out of the poker loop since the final table of the wsop

[/ QUOTE ]

* He name-drops like it's his job
* He has shown an utter lack of humility, and when he tries, it comes across as false-modesty which only exacerbates it
* The interview line about potentially dumping chips was ill-advised to say the least
* People here don't think he's that good at poker (kind of silly, since he utterly steamrolled the final 3 tables in a way that has never been seen in the ME in recent memory)
* People are jealous
* His resume appears to be a pack of lies...doesn't really matter in the context of poker, but it's just more fuel on the fire
* He's kind of smarmy
* He has more or less conceded that he doesn't want to be an ambassador for the game (the only real responsibility the ME winner has)
* He was a gigantic luckbox throughout tourney (can't fault the guy for it; i think ppl r coming down too hard on him for that. he played his cards the right way, except for an atrocious QQ laydown preflop for something like 1/6 of the pot...but that would have put him all-in...it wasn't as big an error as ppl faulted him for)

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that most of the anger towards Jamie Gold is rooted in anti-semitism. People don't want to see a Jewish champ.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you look at Jamie's "client" list, Donnie Wahlberg is on there and Mark Wahlberg is the producer for Entourage. Mark's agent is Ari Emannuel.

That could be where the name Ari (emannuel) Gold (jamie) came from?

If you look in the credits of entourage, one of the other producers is named Eric Weinstein. (eric being the character, weinstein being the name of the rival agent , josh weinstein).

Dunno if its coincidence, but my 2 cents
Old 08-17-2006, 04:26 PM

From the wikipedia discussion:

Looks like the character name was originally 'James' - read the Backstory in the lower right:

Old 08-17-2006, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you look at Jamie's "client" list, Donnie Wahlberg is on there and Mark Wahlberg is the producer for Entourage. Mark's agent is Ari Emannuel.

If you look in the credits of entourage, one of the other producers is named Eric Weinstein. (eric being the character, weinstein being the name of the rival agent , josh weinstein).

[/ QUOTE ]

In his interview on Rounders, Gold said that while he doesn't know for absolute certain whether or not the character was based on him (yes, he mentioned the Wahlberg connection), he does not think it is. Probably a coincidence. He did say that the character was originally named Jamie Gold, but someone suggested changing it because they found out there was a real agent named Jamie Gold out there.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ari's character is based on the real-life Hollywood superagent Ari Emanuel, who broke away from mega-agency ICM, and were caught int he proccess, to form The Endeavor Agency, which represents such stars as Vin Diesel and Larry David, both of whom are represented on the show by the fictional Ari Gold.

In season 2 DVD, it was revealed that Johnny Drama was based on Mark Wahlberg's cousin, Johnny Alves. In real life, Alves was also often referred as "Johnny Drama".

The Turtle character was based on Mark Wahlberg's real-life assistant, 39-year-old Donnie "Donkey" Carroll. Donkey carried Wahlberg's bags for more than 14 years while trying to launch a career as a rap musician under the name Murda One. Donkey died suddenly on December 18, 2005 of an asthma attack. Donkey and Wahlberg had a falling out earlier in 2005 because Carroll claimed Wahlberg never paid him for appropriating his life story for Entourage. He said all the other real-life characters had been taken care of but that he'd been cut out.

Mark's manager is his real life friend Stephen Levinson who he met while Stephen was an assistant at UTA. Mark became his first client. He later went on to represent Doug Effin in 96.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:17 PM

If Gold was iflating his past accomplishments in order to bang Hollywood starlets then I have no problem with it.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that most of the anger towards Jamie Gold is rooted in anti-semitism. People don't want to see a Jewish champ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. That's also undoubtedly the reason why so many people in the poker community despise Barry Greenstein, right?