Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 05:50 PM

Default Re: $1/$2 Hand from MGM - Play Each Street

Pokey,

he'd have to be a donkey of negreanuesque proportions to draw here.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you're asking how much to bet on that flop? you have 8,000+ posts?

[/ QUOTE ]

you're just bitter cuz you got railed on for having 2k posts and not knowing how to play 44 on an A4x board.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2006, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to get my head around how we're getting more value out of letting villain draw than simply betting a little something more on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

The value is that this guy is smart enough to not draw to a flush on a paired board. I knew that. I put him ont he A or K of spades and I thought there was a 50% chance he'd fold either if I bet.

My river bet would have been pot for any spade or a 5 and maybe $50-$75 for another card like a 6 or an A.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:03 PM

Frank,

Your posts here are disturbing to me. I think that you are underestimating how often an unknown 'solid' live 1/2 tag is stacking ff with overpairs, AQ here and also how often they'll call a small turn bet with all kinds of pairs/draws. I would not give an unknown live tag much credit unless I knew him as a tough 2+2er. It seems from your description that this guy is a nit, and you should be playing the hand accordingly.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to get my head around how we're getting more value out of letting villain draw than simply betting a little something more on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

The value is that this guy is smart enough to not draw to a flush on a paired board. I knew that. I put him ont he A or K of spades and I thought there was a 50% chance he'd fold either if I bet.

My river bet would have been pot for any spade or a 5 and maybe $50-$75 for another card like a 6 or an A.

[/ QUOTE ]

if he's smart enough not to draw to a flush on a paired board, then he should also be smart enough not to call a pot sized bet on the river when a fourth spade hits, especially if he views you as a good player (which it sounds like he does).

if you bet pot and he has the K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], then he knows you have him beaten. If you bet pot and he has the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], what hand is he going to give you? K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Qo?

I've always thought "GIN" when I fill up with the third flush card on the turn.

The second part of my question, though is what hand are you betting here? You're obviously betting any hand that you floated with on the flop, but what legitimate hands are you betting here?
Old 08-01-2006, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pokey,

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if it's a combo draw or a made hand with a spade: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], or something similar.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pokey,

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if it's a combo draw or a made hand with a spade: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], or something similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, he will still call a river bet with those hands, so we are not necessarily loosing that much value. Though personally I'm not a fan of how the hand was played, but nvm.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain in this hand is a solid TAG who I played against when I was in Vegas last month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you see the villain in question in this picture? I played against a guy at MGM with a similar description (vague, yes, but how many solid TAGs do you see in live games) in May or so. I think he was a dealer at Green Valley.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Frank,

Your posts here are disturbing to me. I think that you are underestimating how often an unknown 'solid' live 1/2 tag is stacking ff with overpairs, AQ here and also how often they'll call a small turn bet with all kinds of pairs/draws. I would not give an unknown live tag much credit unless I knew him as a tough 2+2er. It seems from your description that this guy is a nit, and you should be playing the hand accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy had a dogtag and bullet as a card protector. We probably played a total of 10 hours together. He was not a nit. He played position well and did not donk off chips. He usually showed down a decent hand.

You guys are missing the point of my post. I know (and I know you guys know) the ABC way to play this hand. Villain also knows it.

As it turns out, I guessed right on his range this hand, but at least I played the hand consistent with my read.

Now, if I was going to float and the board blanked, I would have made a pot sized turn bet.