Old 11-29-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Re: SERIES 3 HIJACK

[ QUOTE ]
2. Upgraded HD in Series3.

[/ QUOTE ]

explain please?
Old 11-29-2006, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Another Tivo thread...

ive never used a tivo but ive had dvr through 2 different cable companies.

charter cable/moxi dvr:
this thing was butter. the menus were completely user friendly, all the actions were instant the minute you pressed the button. i really liked it.

comcast/comcast dvr:
this thing sucks. if i had never had the moxi, maybe i would find it acceptable but after that it just sucks. the menus suck. the series recordings always f - up. there is a lag between pushing the button and anything happening. and worst of all there is no skip back when you are fast forwarding. with the moxi from charter, when you pressed play after fast forwarding, the box would compensate for you overshooting a little by jumping back. this would allow a skilled user to start right where he wanted. in contrast the comcast box just stops after you press play causing you to be 15 sec or so past where you want to be. annoying.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, that will be my plan. I'm sure the new remote is great, but if the layout is anything like the regular tivo remotes (read: retarded) i will be disappointed. Have you seen the Sony remote for their tivos, it is the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's actually the same layout. The difference is that it has different rubber type, different grip and it's backlit.

I haven't used another remote for my TiVo -- I like the default one a lot. But I will look into the Sony.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2. Upgraded HD in Series3.

[/ QUOTE ]

explain please?

[/ QUOTE ]
A bigger hard drive to store more recordings.

I guess using "HD" in a post can mean two different things when we're discussing the Series3. Sorry about the confusion.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ive never used a tivo but ive had dvr through 2 different cable companies.

charter cable/moxi dvr:
this thing was butter. the menus were completely user friendly, all the actions were instant the minute you pressed the button. i really liked it.

comcast/comcast dvr:
this thing sucks. if i had never had the moxi, maybe i would find it acceptable but after that it just sucks. the menus suck. the series recordings always f - up. there is a lag between pushing the button and anything happening. and worst of all there is no skip back when you are fast forwarding. with the moxi from charter, when you pressed play after fast forwarding, the box would compensate for you overshooting a little by jumping back. this would allow a skilled user to start right where he wanted. in contrast the comcast box just stops after you press play causing you to be 15 sec or so past where you want to be. annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, I should say that I've never used a Charter/Moxi DVR.

The only cable DVRs I've had experience with are Comcast in my own home (that thing blows monkey nuts) and a Time Warner DVR in a friends house -- I didn't have as much time to be pissed off by it, but it was clear to me that it sucked also.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:43 PM

N,

I suspect I'm asking dumb-ass questions here, but thanks for humoring me and helping out.

Is there any combo of DirecTV HD box + Series3 I can use? Or if I want dual tuner + HD recording off of DirecTV, the old DirecTiVo HD boxes are my only option?
Old 11-29-2006, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
N,

I suspect I'm asking dumb-ass questions here, but thanks for humoring me and helping out.

Is there any combo of DirecTV HD box + Series3 I can use? Or if I want dual tuner + HD recording off of DirecTV, the old DirecTiVo HD boxes are my only option?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, there's no way to use a Series3 with DirecTV. It is cable-only.

I believe that the box that I linked to earlier is the one and only way to use a TiVo to record HD content from DirecTV.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:14 PM

My friend actually is a product manager for a lot of DirecTVs boxes. (Pretty bad me bagging on their UI I know, but facts are it's not as good as Tivo.) If you have any specific questions about what they might have in the pipeline I can probably find out, unless it's secret.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:30 PM

If only cable had NFL Sunday Ticket ... then I'd be content. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2006, 10:43 PM

N,

This puts me in a very bad spot!