Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 09:52 PM

Default Re: POLL: How Many Of You Are Aware?

There should be another poll if anyone believes that 55% of voters that said "Yes, I'm an American" were telling the truth -- because there is no way that number is accurate.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:57 PM

I'm American, I wasn't aware that there was an earthquake, but I've also never heard of Holloway.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There should be another poll if anyone believes that 55% of voters that said "Yes, I'm an American" were telling the truth -- because there is no way that number is accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you lie in an anonymous poll?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You think Americans that didn't know voted yes or what?

Details plz.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is closer to 69% of Americans said yes. (The 55% is a percentage of all those who voted.)
Old 05-30-2006, 10:32 PM

IMO following the news is useful only for entertainment (if you vote, it may be somewhat useful, but voting is also only good for entertainment). Since I don't find it particularly entertaining, I don't follow it. If you enjoy spending ten miuntes per day reading headlines, good for you, but I think I would rather do almost anything rather than that.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm American, I wasn't aware that there was an earthquake, but I've also never heard of Holloway.

[/ QUOTE ]

The girl murdered in Aruba. Still never heard of her?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:41 PM

just to clarify i do follow the news enough to know whats going on in the world. Fox News, lets go. But ok so this earthquake killed lots of people, why not worry about aids, drinking problems, child rapists, starvation, suicide bombers all over the world every day, people with no freedom. Because watching it on tv doesnt help anyone. Sending money and help does. And i really dont think the world gives a damn what happens here but its our job to help the world, that makes sense.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It is closer to 69% of Americans said yes. (The 55% is a percentage of all those who voted.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point -- 69% is even less believable.

To answer a few questions at once: yes, I believe the number is too high and, yes, I think it's quite possible people just lied because they heard about it now and want it to sound better.

I'll assume that most 2+2'ers are more 'net savvy and therefore hear things easier, but anything over 50% sounds too high ... and I thought it would be more like 25%.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:44 PM

I think your statement is a bit ridiculous. Is there some criteria for evaluating what interests us? You can get into a slippery slope with your logic.

For example, why should I care about 5,500 people when 150,000 die a year in the U.S. from bad medical treatment. Why should I care that 5,500 die when 1,000,000+ of my fellow citizens are locked up in prison. Why should I care about 5,500 people when 10,000s die on the roads in the U.S. each year. Why should I care about 5,500 people when there are untold incidence of child abuse each day in the U.S.

You can also twist the logic backwords. Why should i care about the deaths of 2,000 soldiers in Iraq over several years when 5,500 died in one day. Why should I care about 2,000 soldiers when 200,000+ people died in a big wave not to long ago.

There is no "should I care" arithmatic and the number of people affected (or killed) is not a criteria that holds any absolute truth.