Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Ask Josem about visiting/living in Australia

Hey Josem,

Why does Australia the only country of the WVP program require an ETA? They also said it is free but if you apply on line, you get charged $20AU. How do you get an ETA for free? Lastly, I'm a US citizen but born in Vietnam and have been in this country for over 30 years and my ETA was denied. What is the deal with Australia?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Josem,

Why does Australia the only country of the WVP program require an ETA? They also said it is free but if you apply on line, you get charged $20AU. How do you get an ETA for free? Lastly, I'm a US citizen but born in Vietnam and have been in this country for over 30 years and my ETA was denied. What is the deal with Australia?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey... I'm just another random poster on an anonymous internet message board.

If you're unhappy with the Australian Migration/Visa policy, contact the Australian Department of Immigration - www.immi.gov.au

Obviously, I don't have access to your application process, so if you feel you were treated unfairly, you should contact your nearest Australian Embassy/Consulate/High Commission.

A full list is available online at http://www.dfat.gov.au/missions/
Old 02-03-2007, 10:40 PM

While doing some other stuff, I looked a little further into some of the questions...

[ QUOTE ]
Why does Australia the only country of the WVP program require an ETA?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just looked this up at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Waiver_Program on the Visa Waiver Programme:

[ QUOTE ]
While all participating nations must provide reciprocal visa-free travel for U.S. citizens (usually ninety days for tourism or business purposes), Australia is the only nation that requires U.S. citizens (and other VWP nations) to apply for an Electronic Travel Authority (or ETA for short), which in fact is a visa that is stored electronically in a computer system operated by the Australian Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs (or DIMA for short). A passport holder must apply for and purchase an ETA through an authorized travel agency, airline, or via the official DIMA website before departing for Australia. However, as the ETA process is relatively free of formality, the United States recognises it as the equivalent of visa free travel.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
How do you get an ETA for free?

[/ QUOTE ]
While I haven't found direct confirmation of this, a few times I've seen implicit suggestion that if you apply at an Australian Visa Office (eg, http://www.australianvisasdc.com/ )or through a travel agent, there is no charge.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Commonwealth supported place (CSP)
(Average annual student contribution)
$ 7027 AUD

Full fee
$ 19,130 AUD
Full international fee
$ 23,110 AUD

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that means $23k per year for international students, since the average for Aussie students getting the state to pay a big part of their expenses is $7k/year.

The full fee for Aussies says $19k and does not specify per year, but that's the only way it makes sense (given the fee for Aussies getting state help). I doubt international students get lower rates than fee paying Aussies.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that means $23k per year for international students,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.... that is correct.

Sorry for not being clearer before.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:47 AM

Hey Josem,

What are the most expensive and least expensive of each of the following in Australia:

Beer, Wine, Vodka, Rum, Whiskey

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Josem,

What are the most expensive and least expensive of each of the following in Australia:

Beer, Wine, Vodka, Rum, Whiskey

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rather than simply give you numbers and names (which date quickly and don't give you much value) let me instead give you the websites of a couple of key bottle shops.

www.vintagecellars.com.au - part of the Coles Group (Coles is to Australia, what, in size, Walmart is to the US - this company accounts for something in the order of 15% of all retail sales across all sectors in the country) they have an excellent website with a wide variety of beers, wines and spirits. You can sort the beers by popularity, price, and other stats, and they have their full catalogue online - look at the home delivery option

www.danmurphys.com.au - advertised as the cheapest liquor retailer in Australia, part of Woolworths. their website has a copy of their weekly advertising of specials

www.beerwinespirits.com.au - also part of Woolworths, branded differently, but similarly to Dan Murphys, they provide only a selection of prices/details.

Vintage CEllars has, in my opinion, the best website - they certainly have the most detail.

After you look at the prices, you're going to want to convert currencies to US and elsewhere, I assume. Westpac have a handy little foreign exchange calculator, and they're what I use for currency conversions (they are my bank).
Old 02-09-2007, 03:01 PM

Oh, I forgot to thank you for posting the links to school info.

I do appreciate it, just a little disappointed by the difference between what Aussies pay and what I'd pay (not that state schools in the US don't do the same thing).

Too bad, as the three year program in Behavioural Neuroscience is exactly what I'd be interested in if I went back to school.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:22 AM

Josem,
I'm currently in brisbane and i'm cravinggg mexican food. Do you know of any good places in the city/valley area.

Cheers.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Josem,
I'm currently in brisbane and i'm cravinggg mexican food. Do you know of any good places in the city/valley area.

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

My view of Mexican food in Australia: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post7605566

From that thread:

[ QUOTE ]

If you live in Brisbane go to the southbank market on friday afternoons and evening. Find the guy near the north end selling Langos. Order one with cheese, garlic, sweet chili and sour cream.

[/ QUOTE ]