Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2006, 03:07 AM

Default Re: foxwoods new room

[ QUOTE ]

and i don't think i did everything i could to lose the hand...i got it heads up with someone who seemed to have a good hand, and got them to put all their chips in. this is my strategy for aces...if they suck out so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are not saying you necessarily played it 'wrong.' We are just pointing out that you made it easier for the limpers to try to outdraw you pf. As long as that is what you wanted.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:16 PM

You guys are being nits for picking apart a hand in the B+M forum, and on top of that most of your criticism sucks. Making it $20 to go in a $1/$2 $100 cap game is not an invitation for the whole table to call. That is 1/5th of a player's stack, and probably more like 1/4th for most of them. You will ilkely get 1-2 callers in this game, which is perfect.

The amount of the flop re-raise is basically irrelevant. Any size raise pot-commits the AA guy, and calling whatever sized raise it is pot-commits the other guy. The stacks are very short, people. So let's stop being nits.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, everything you could was a little much. But with limpers already in and a raiser to $10, reraising to only $20 is an invitation to disaster. You got heads up by some miracle of luck. This is why minraising is bad. At live 1-2, the majority of your opponents will look at it and say "it's so cheap to call, and I already have $x in" rather than "hmmmm, maybe he has a huge hand and he's afraid we won't pay him off if he raises too much." It's small stakes with bad players--they're going to pay you off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worse still, and to reinforce your point about the minreraising, if they're already in for $10 then they're correct to call another $10! This is the same as a limit game, where it's virtually always correct to call a single raise with any non-blind hand worth limping in the first place. (I didn't check the original scenario to see if there were people trapped in for $10 already, but they might just as easily call the raise and the reraise for $18 more or whatever, because as you say they're donks.)

Minreraising isn't so bad if you have reason to think your reraise will get you heads-up with the raiser, and if you think the raiser will only call a small reraise. But small-stakes games are not ussually that way. It's usually more like when I flopped nut set of aces on a two suited board and the action to me (with something like $30 or $40 in the pot) was a $5 bet and a $25 raise. I reraised to $100 and got a call (technically a reraise all-in because my stack was only a little more) from the flush draw. No one in these games can let go of a flush draw, no matter how bad the odds you're laying them.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are being nits for picking apart a hand in the B+M forum....

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't aware that hand analysis was inappropriate in this forum. Just because I like to play live games doesn't mean I don't want to learn to play as well as possible.

Also, you're erroneously assuming that a $100 max buy-in game will have stack sizes of $100 max. Even total donks double or triple up (particularly through other donks) so they're often playing bigger stacks. Last time I played there, the gentleman playing $1-2 like it was the $2/4 limit game (see every flop, call down with bottom pair) cashed out for $300. Just because it's no-limit doesn't means it's chess; bad players are allowed to win a few hands.