Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Scotty Nguyen on WSOP last night

[ QUOTE ]
You're right, it isn't really a spoiler, but it is arrogant for the OP to believe that his opinion of Scotty's play was so important that it deserved a new thread instead of putting it in the WSOP thread where everyone else is analyzing the play of Scotty and others.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's more ignorance than arrogance. I agree with OP and I know the fanboys hate it, but so does Scotty. There is no excuse for the way he managed his play at the end. He knows it, everyone here knows it. But, mentioning it on this board ALWAYS results in a pissing contest between those who like Scotty and those who don't.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol at everyone thinking the aq hand is a bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it a value bet? He is not going to get someone with a worse hand to call. lol at you.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:57 PM

In the official thread of the espn episode I posted my view on this behaviour.

It looked to me like the further Scotty was going in the tournament the more "obsessed" he become about having another shot to win the title again. Early he looked to have the sick feeling that every player was trapping him with the nuts, when he had the second and third nunts, what looked like slowrolled calls from the editings were instead apparently suffered decision (still I really doubt he would have ever folded those hands) for him by the look of his face. I think I have seen 3 hands like this (2 in the previous episodes, once he thouhght that the opponent had aces, the only hand that had him beaten) when Scotty had his tournament life at risk and he was really seriously concerned to being beaten in a situation where he had a really powerful hand and all his opponents were kind of shocked when they saw the hand he struggled to (insta-call). One of those hands is also in this last episode, when he was put all-in by Hilm when holding the full house. Then, as he also said, something totally changed and he suddenly believed to be invincible and his fast collapse looks to proove that he was really under a personal huge pressure that he wasn't able to handle.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:45 AM

I do think the AQ hand was fairly poorly played. If Hilm raises the flop and they get it all in then it's just a cooler. However, when Hilm just calls and bets the K turn, Scotty must be putting his opponent on a float. In this case IMO he should just call on the turn (and check-call any river). As I see it, it's a way ahead/way behind situation and there are like no draws or overcards Scotty can be afraid of. Hilm may even have gotten lucky with a Kx float. Basically the XR is needless overkill that is not protecting against any draws and will not get called by a worse hand.

The flush draw hand looks ugly but I don't think it's that bad. I probably would've check-raised to move off a pair smaller than the king and to disguise the draw (seems bit obvious with the open overbet push) but the result would've been the same in either case here.

I understand and appreciate he would have been very tired, but the thread should be to analyse his play, not to justify it.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:13 AM

Scotty's beginning and middle tourney game is real solid. His end game is certainly questionable. You've seen it over and over again how he blows up and makes foolish plays. Few years ago on the WPT final table I recall Scotty doing some foolish play again. Negreanu and Grinder were also commenting on how unnecessary it was.

I compare it to another schooler like Greenstein and think how much more control Greenstein has.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:33 PM

I think scotty should sue michelob light or whatever he drinks for this. If scotty wasnt drunk like a sailor would he have made such bad moves?
Old 10-06-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think scotty should sue michelob light or whatever he drinks for this. If scotty wasnt drunk like a sailor would he have made such bad moves?

[/ QUOTE ]
If I remember correctly, they mentioned that Scotty wasn't drinking alcohol during this part of the tournament.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If I remember correctly, they mentioned that Scotty wasn't drinking alcohol during this part of the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if he is not drinking, he will still donk his chips off, Philip hilm is just too much for him, His big ego is the one that brought him down, he thought he was invincible cuz he's been winning coinflips but not that time.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he made a show about counting his chips as if that made any difference whatsoever, and frankly you are wrong, in a tournament, with those stack sizes and that action, 99 is in fact the nuts, the probability of scotty folding that hand is exactly 0%

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agreed. I was shocked that even Norman Chad didn't want to rock the Scotty Love Boat by pointing out this absurd slow roll.

Watch it again. Imagine Scotty folding after like ten seconds or whatever it was.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to imagine, because it's the most obvious call you ever saw.

Slow roll.