Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Separate Fantasy Sports Forum??

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Christ, Mat could suggest an "Expert Advice On Getting 26 Year Old Virgins Laid" forum and he'd be against it.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

change is scary.

tuq, others,

totally fine to be against the new forum.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:23 PM

Yes
Old 06-22-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you guys don't think a split will hurt Sports - particularly because seemingly nobody seems to be complaining about it, I don't even play fantasy sports and I think it's a bad idea - then you're high. Sorry, but at least you're high. I wish I was high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Tuq here. The fact that a split could possibly lower the traffic to sporting events is something that I would not appreciate. I read other forums but I only post in SE. I just not so sure that splitting the forum, even if it were minor, is such a good idea.

But, I will say this, a new forum would mean that I would post in approx. 3 forums. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

And I wish I were high too.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:11 AM

NO
The majority of threads in this forum tend to be mile long threads devoted to teams/playoffs. Frankly I would break up the fantasy thread; there's no real narrative to link the posts together, as opposed to a season long thread discussing a single team. Some might complain of clutter should there be proliferation of threads marked *Fantasy* but frankly this forum is kindof slow compared to most.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:26 AM

yes
Old 06-23-2007, 12:31 AM

i've been convinced... no
Old 06-23-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For a reason that hasn't already been clearly stated, a forum split will result in some fantasy posters spending less time in Sports, which is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is for me the only possible downside. I am not at all interested in the fantasy threads nor do I find them annoying so personally I'm indifferent. I think for those interested in fantasy stuff there would be a reasonable benefit.

This somewhat reminds me of the World Cup last summer. When the first few matches happened and there was a thread for every match there was some complaining about it. I asked for the mod playground to run a world cup forum so that those of us that were obsessed with it could freely make threads. This was met with a similar, probably more negative actually, reaction here. The suggestion probably wasn't much of a factor, but after that there was a thread for every match and nobody complained and it was ok. Maybe the same will happen if people just start making whatever fantasy threads they desire.

So I think a split would be ok with the possible downside that is quoted above. Maybe another solution would be to just have people posting fantasy stuff as they wish. If it starts to overrun the forum, then it would be a good time to start a separate forum. Also, you could just have a temporary forum starting a few weeks before football (and baseball and basketball?) season starts when fantasy stuff is at its peak. Then after a few weeks into the season just move all those posts here and allow people to post whatever they want and it shouldn't cause any problem.

Jared
Old 06-23-2007, 01:10 AM

No
Old 06-23-2007, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

well i myself have started several threads about particular players or transactions and been berated for it,

[/ QUOTE ]

There simply isn't enough interest to warrant individual threads about specific transactions, and that would be the case whether we have a separate forum or not. There is no need to split traffic from a relatively quiet forum with no obvious upside.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:28 AM

Yes