Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Shaun\'s beginners guide to 180s

[ QUOTE ]
Shaun,

Can I ask you about a specific situation in these tournaments?

Say you are dealt As Ks in the big blind at the 200/400 level with an 8k stack. An unknown player with a 5k stack makes it 1600 from UTG. It's folded around to you. Do you shove or call?

This is a situation where my instinct is to just call and preserve a good stack, but my problem in these tournaments is I find it difficult to get into double figures and end up taking a lot of 10-18 finishes. Is the above situation a time to gamble for a big stack?

[/ QUOTE ]

that's an easy shove, a lot of players 4x are weaker hands agraid of a flop and that range is KQ type hands worse aces etc, don't be shy about racing you win that race you add 5800 to your stack and now have close to 14k and a lot of room to work because you can be opening very light as well as calling the 2500-4k stacks shoves after you raise. Shoving with AKs there is not a gamble as you are ahead often and get folds sometimes too which is fine than you pickup close to 2500 in chips.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shaun,

Thanks for the guide and responses to all questions: very valuable advice for me, trying to master the 4/180s, or at least trying not to suck at them so much anymore... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Just a follow up question on the moves vs. agressive players: the stop 'n go / go 'n go / go stop go, are these moves specifically for a heads-up situation? I often chicken out of these moves as soon as things go multiway. Do you use these against two or more opponents as well on occasion?

And what about position? You mention pos. doesn't matter in a resteal shove, but I thought a stop n go / resteal shove are best (or have the least risk) when in the sb or bb, because with the resteal no-one or just one person is yet to act (and can wake up with a monster), and with the stop 'n go, you are first to act on the flop that you are shoving. Or is position less important than I think it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if my response wasn't clear was busy with some SH LO8 my newest addition for latenight poker.

Also, I forgot to mention squeeze as that is a really good common where a aggressive opp raises and a loose player flat calls you can shove a lot of hands with 15-30bbs there.

As for your other comments I think the ansky thread covers calculating EV of a resteal and you do need to include the chances a guy behind you wakes up with a hand and your equity vs that. The EV is higher the less people to act behind you since you are than just worrying about the original raiser.

The go stop go I pretty much only use it HU vs the pf 3better the stop and go is made for being OOP so you have to be SB or BB. I try not to SNG much from SB but I've done it a few times with varied success. Prob with SNG from small blind if BB calls which he will do with some hands what you had as close to a PSB is now 2/3rds to half PSB so IF the BB folds the PFR is getting close to 3 to 1 to call so that opens his calling range.

Also, at the lower levels you will have more profitable resteal spots in SB and BB because more often the opener is button/CO therefore their range is wider when you are in LP the ranges of MP/HJ opens are tighter therefore less profitable to resteal though there are still spots.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the guide Shaun. I play these a lot and am relatively succesful but think this is a great text to read over just to remind me of the essentials.

One thing slightly OT I wanted to ask. I play mostly these tournaments and am about to invest in tracking software, wondering which is the best to get. Should I go for PokerTracker or PokerOffice or is it an either or?
Old 02-19-2007, 12:07 PM

Never used pokeroffice because PT is too awesome to try anything else and is great for cahs games. But you need PAHUD with PT.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never used pokeroffice because PT is too awesome to try anything else and is great for cahs games. But you need PAHUD with PT.

[/ QUOTE ]

do u sleep?

if yes how many hours a nite.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do u sleep?

if yes how many hours a nite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, weird sch that's all hell ask anyone whose ever roomed with me I oversleep most tourneys.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:26 PM

Awsome post, makes me want to jump into playing the 4/180's. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2007, 09:24 PM

It made me want to jump into the 20/180's tonight and i won one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ship it!
Old 02-19-2007, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now for a proper sample size I would say 250 at any level

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty sure this isn't even close to correct, but whatever. Some good point shaun, though I wish it was easy to chip up to those "target stacks"
Old 02-22-2007, 03:19 PM

/bump

Went back and read some of your comments. Think it'll help me get into that situation of when I get sucked out on, it won't affect my tourney life as much... hopefully