Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 10:48 PM

Default Re: breaking vegetarians

No, when someone quotes someone else and puts it right after my post. It makes me go, Wait -- I didn't say that!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of my friends was a life-long vegetarian. We all tried to convince her how great meat was but she wasn't having any of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, don't get it at all. I did this when I was like 18 and found out my friend became a vegetarian. When I think back to it, I feel like an ignorant [censored]. And I'm not a vegetarian. But there's absolutely no reason to resent someone for not eating meat (unless they're preachy/posers, etc).

And to OP: Do you also try to prod recovering alcoholics into coming out for just one drink? It's obvious that she thinks there's something wrong with the treatment of animals, and thus has issues eating them. Vegetarianism is something that takes crazy discipline. Why would you try to "break" her?

[/ QUOTE ]

wow the alcohol thing is in no way related
Old 09-15-2007, 12:02 AM

I was a vegetarian for almost 10 years. The first meat I ate was some kind of a pastrami hash sandwich.

My vegetarian will was broken when I had kids and they started eating meat. Now I eat meat and they pretty much don't.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My gf says it has to smell great and be really high quality ingredients. Go get some organic free range chicken, slice it thin--no fat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Switch the hippy chicken for regular $2.50/lb chicken and see if she notices. Hint: she won't, you'll save $4/lb.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of my friends was a life-long vegetarian. We all tried to convince her how great meat was but she wasn't having any of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, don't get it at all. I did this when I was like 18 and found out my friend became a vegetarian. When I think back to it, I feel like an ignorant [censored]. And I'm not a vegetarian. But there's absolutely no reason to resent someone for not eating meat (unless they're preachy/posers, etc).

And to OP: Do you also try to prod recovering alcoholics into coming out for just one drink? It's obvious that she thinks there's something wrong with the treatment of animals, and thus has issues eating them. Vegetarianism is something that takes crazy discipline. Why would you try to "break" her?

[/ QUOTE ]

wow the alcohol thing is in no way related

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, its more like someone who for religious reasons never drank alcohol, and now wants to start drinking, and you want to help them.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My gf says it has to smell great and be really high quality ingredients. Go get some organic free range chicken, slice it thin--no fat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Switch the hippy chicken for regular $2.50/lb chicken and see if she notices. Hint: she won't, you'll save $4/lb.

[/ QUOTE ]

see, this wouldn't be cool because it would be going TOTALLY against her stated wishes.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:29 AM

Don't you fool! More meat for the rest of us.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

see, this wouldn't be cool because it would be going TOTALLY against her stated wishes.

[/ QUOTE ]
When you can tell me what wet work's gf's wishes are, let me know. All he said were that she insisted on great ingredients, including organic, free-range chicken. She couldn't tell one of those from a normal chicken breast if she wanted to.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
haha, you guys, she's at least somewhat willing to be coerced. She is only vegetarian now because of the treatment of the animals; she said she has no problem with the killing - think, food chain - but with the treatment. We passed a place selling humane meat and she said she had no issue with it but was simply scared to try it. She doesn't SEEM like the type to not try new things, so I figured there might be some way to get her to do it. I might try to take her to a nice sushi place, get her some maki and see how it goes...

I think she is afraid to like meat, like most vegetarians (i hypothesize), because she's had it in her head so long that eating animals is a bad thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

does she eat lots of tofu?>
Old 09-15-2007, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think she is afraid to like meat, like most vegetarians (i hypothesize), because she's had it in her head so long that eating animals is a bad thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm.... No. Meat tastes good, and I am a vegetarian. I don't eat eat meat for the same reason you don't eat people or dogs. Nothing deep. I think i my reasons for being a vegetarian are standard. I might be wrong though.