Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: It's just a dumb poll. Who cares?
I do 0 0%
I don't 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Re: ICOOT Quickfire Challenge: Something Sweet (1/31)

Thanks Chimp! I really think I'm the most proud of the marmalade. It turned out very well. I love the color, and the best part is that I made so much that I filled that container you see in the photo, plus another jar. I gave the jar away to a friend.

It's the only entry that I've done that my family can continue to enjoy probably for a couple of weeks. My son even had it on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich yesterday, asking for it specifically. That made me smile.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:26 PM

Ron,

I think that's an absolutely fair point, and as you mentioned it's a dish which could easily have been adapted to other challenges. (And may well be in the future go passionfruit!)

I got inspired by all the blood orange recipies and was going to do a blood orange tart this weekend, but I couldn't find any blood oranges. I did find a comment on the website of one of the green grocers I go to linky pointing out blood oranges are in season in Australia from July to September. Fair enough!

The other thing I learnt from this thread was what an Orange Julius is. I'd always wondered when I listened to the Modest Mouse song 'Teeth Like God's Shoeshine' and now I know!

Thanks very much to eveyone for putting in so much effort, really appreciated, and I've got to say my personal favourite was Sam's, which I think just look's awesome.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lp - does that taste just like regular cheesecake?

[/ QUOTE ]

The taste was pretty close to the same, most people probably would not notice the difference. The texture was slightly different though. It had more of a cream/pudding pie texture than a true cheesecake.

I also made some lemon bars for the challenge but they were a disaster so they did not get entered.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pivot and Sam,

I have basically the same comments for both of you. Your dishes look great and perfectly executed. I'm sure they were very yummy. However, I saw Julia Child make crepes suzette on TV 15 years ago. ... If I want to make a souffle or crepes suzette, I can just look up the basic recipe in my Pro Chef book

[/ QUOTE ]
I definitely see what you're saying. For instance, the crepe suzette was largely by the book. (Although I did make the crepes more orangey.) I thought the orange mousse, with the grand marnier as well as zest, was a little more unique than standard mousse, but I get your point. When I read through recipes now, I've started thinking about which are good empty canvases which can take creativity. "That's a good <whatever> recipe. I bet there are lots of ways to modify that to show different flavors."

[ QUOTE ]
If you've developed the skills to make these things perfectly, why not use those skills to invent something of your own?

[/ QUOTE ]
One of my reasons for making the crepes was that I didn't yet have the skills to make these perfectly. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] This was my first time making crepes, so I was pretty nervous about how they'd turn out. If I didn't have time to make the second batch before my guests arrived, I wouldn't even have dared to modify the recipe with orange in the crepes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Sam
Old 02-02-2007, 01:45 AM

Ah ok. I can see how having guests over would change your approach. I only cook for myself, so I have the luxury of saying eff it and going to Subway if my culinary expirements don't work.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:44 AM

Really nice set of entries. Mermade, you went nuts.

SamIAm, I love candied zest, and would have voted just for that, but the whole mousse and crepe thing made the decision even easier.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:01 AM

All,

I keep saying this, but I dont think there's any reason to stop.

This is one of the best series of OOT threads ever.

Also, MERMADE SOME PROVOCATIVE PICS, PLS!
Old 02-02-2007, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

I keep saying this, but I dont think there's any reason to stop.

This is one of the best series of OOT threads ever.

Also, MERMADE SOME PROVOCATIVE PICS, PLS!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow...you really were drunk.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad so many people used blood oranges, I adore them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, bloods are my favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never had one. What's the taste like?
Old 02-02-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad so many people used blood oranges, I adore them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, bloods are my favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never had one. What's the taste like?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's the whole experience that's lovely. The first time I saw bloods, I though they were old oranges, and that the peel had started to blacken and go off. They look like they are bruised, as they have a red sash of color on the outside, but the rest of the orange appears to be, well, orange.

Then, you cut them open, and a blaze of red explodes out. They are a dark purple-red, and stain just as easily as a pomegranate. Beautiful for plating and salads.

The taste is just as citrusy as a regular orange, but if you get a good one, very sweet and tender. The little pulp sacs explode in your mouth, drip down your chin and...

*ahem*

You should try them, Tenn.