Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Re: The Well: Velocity

[ QUOTE ]
I just lost 10 buyins last night at 600nl, is that standard or do I just suck..

[/ QUOTE ]

you troll sttf alot so you may just suck, but a 20 buyin roll is standarard so don't worry too much about a 10 b/i swing. though you should pwn the [censored] out of people and ship me 6k
Old 02-25-2007, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can beat the 22s for 10% 8 tabling and play full time, 40hrs/week 50 wks/yr you can make 40k, which is definitely enough to live off. Obviously this is a lot more work than most of us put in ...

[/ QUOTE ]

The number of people here who have actually played a 40 hour week of 8 tabling sngs is absurdly small.

The number of people who could do this week in week out for a year is nearly non-existent.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you can beat the 22s for 10% 8 tabling and play full time, 40hrs/week 50 wks/yr you can make 40k, which is definitely enough to live off. Obviously this is a lot more work than most of us put in ...

[/ QUOTE ]

The number of people here who have actually played a 40 hour week of 8 tabling sngs is absurdly small.

The number of people who could do this week in week out for a year is nearly non-existent.

[/ QUOTE ]

the number of people here who look like billy bob thorton is also ridiculously small. you still pwn though even if i don't talk much, will ball this summer, see you this summer holllaaa.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:56 AM

im really stupid right now as it was my friends birthday today and since 3pm ive been trying to stupify myself. if anyone wants to know my poker history here it si im about to pass out unless one of you calls me (perg do it holla) 5152103749 oooops its ridiculously long

My poker career started when I was a little kid playing 5 card draw for pennies at my grandparents’ house. My sophomore year in high school was the fall of 2002. Robert Varkonyi had won the WSOP and my gambling career got its real start. At first we carried around bags of dimes and quarters and would play .10/.25 NL Texas Holdem just like on TV and “In Between” with a quarter ante. For those who don’t know what in between is, two cards are dealt in the middle, and a player decides to bet an amount (up to the size of the pot) that it will be in between, or passes. We played at halftime in the stands at football games, and got kicked out of the bowling alley for gambling. Slowly but surely dimes stopped being in play and paper money crept into the plastic bags we carried around. We began playing .25/.50 NL still with cash and your entire bankroll was on the table at all times. In the summer before junior year we bought some plastic chips and built a roulette table a friend of mine’s basement. We played poker 5 nights a week all summer, and had begun playing a mixed game of .50/.50 Texas and .50 cent ante Omaha.
Our group of gamblers had now shrunk from 25 or so kids to a group of 8 regulars and 7 or so occasional players. During Junior year, we would play every Friday and Saturday night until 10 or so then go out and get drunk. Occasionally groups of seniors who normally played .05/.10 or .25/.50 and wanted to be Chris Moneymaker would come play with us and lose. Occasionally a few of us would go and play ridiculously LAG in their games screwing around yet still clean up. During senior year the game became $50 buyin .5/1 and NL Low Chicago (stud low spade gets half) got added to the mix. Of the 8 regulars left, one started to sell pot to fund his gambling habit. 2 more started stealing baseball cards from Wal-Mart and Target etc. and sold them on ebay. Another had a good gig playing the cello at weddings, and then there was me, and my two best friends who were the pros of the game. Very seldomly did anyone other than one of the three of us end up with the money at the end of the night. Winning 200 dollars in 3 hours became a common occurrence. I won around $3000 gambling live during my senior year. This was also when I discovered online poker.
I lost 4, $100 deposits on Party Poker when I first started out, playing .10/.25 PLO8 and $22 SNGs. Ready to give it up and just play on the weekends with my friends, thankfully one of my friends told me about a “sweet thing he found where you could get part of your rake back.” I deposited $50 on Pacific Poker and was getting 25% rakeback there. I played some SNGs there, and some stud ( I had read Super System’s Stud section so I was practically an expert…lol). I was down to 20 bucks when I played the $1000 gurantee $1 buyin tournament with 990 runners. 3 hours later I won for $220 and I immediate began playing 2-4 limit O8. As I ran it up to $400 I moved up in limits to 5-10. My bankroll management was terrible but I was running good and players were awful. I began making more in rakeback than my friends who were shortstacking 25NL made from playing. My bankroll online was about $1K in late May 2005 when I got a magazine that would change my life.
After reading about Strassa and Vanessa Selbst in sports illustrated I began lurking and posting on 2p2 in the STT forum as BigTWie. I’m an idiotic noob but I pick up enough to learn how to beat the 22s at party one tabling and enough bankroll management to avoid going broke. Pergesu asked for someone to sweat him as he 4tabled and I hurriedly struck up my first AIM convo with a 2p2er. banned. I get rakeback on party but not on full tilt so party becomes my main home for poker, but I still play 5-10 Stud and O8 on Pacific while I 3 table sngs. I come back to the forums as Velocity. I win the big nightly 24+2 for 4k and two days later Perg sweats me as I take third in a party 33 for 1600. I fall out of touch with Perg (mistake) and post some dumb crap in OOT and get banned. I come back to the forums and trying to pick a cool name like raptor I think, dinasaours, velociraptor, wait that’s pretty much copying him, and an ad for Velocity Paintball comes on and I become Velocity. Just before party doomsday (LOL we all thought it was sooooo terrible) I had moved up to the 55s, and soon after the new format was adopted I was playing 109 speeds. The first week or so of the speeds were ridiculously soft. I played around 300 tournaments that week and made 7k. 6 tabling the 109 speeds with the adjustable table sizes I was pwning hard. I keep around 5k online and invest the rest of my money telling myself it’s not to be touched. After booking around 20k in 2 months, I am a [censored] and take 17 shots of tequila in 45 mins, earning me an ambulance ride to the emergency room, and 3500 of hospital/ambulance bills. Oops.
After cashing out to pay them, I build my 1500 back up at the 33s/55s to around 6k and go back to my routine. Shortly after I buy a monitor so that I can 6 table on the laptop screen and play on pacific on the monitor. I ship 50k playing over the summer and consider not going back to school in the fall. I get arrested for being dumb in July (BBV thread somewhere) but paying the lawyer to get me and my friend a deferrel makes no dent in my roll. Somewhere in here we play a STTF werewolf game, the wolfs win, and I begin talking with Yugo and JGunnip on AIM and feeling like I’ve become part of the STTF community. Every so often I talk with DF_Newbie, who it seems has just as much of a gambling problem as me. It turns out it was a good idea I didn’t quit school as I go on a big downswing (read: played bad as my growing gambling problem made me a shovemonkey who spitecalled a bunch) and fell down to the 22s.
Costanza G pms after I make a ridiculous call, berate an idiot, and defend the call in chat at a table of his, and I realize that I am playing bad and not running bad. He gets my head on straight and in no time. The 5k spiral is erased and I move over to cash games on party. Also somewhere in here I start talking to people on IRC. Vasquez, AMT, Nuggetz, and a host of others I can’t think of right now, sorry if I didn’t mention you. On my birthday I shortstack 25/50NL and win 3bbs in 19 hands. Ship it! While beating 200NL on party the real party doomsday occurs. Pacific kicks out U.S. players as well. I move my money all to full tilt as none of the deposit methods for stars work for me. I play cash and the 60s on full tilt for a while, then as Iowa football loses and I mostly play $5 HU’s drunk and play for real very seldomly. One night I end up blacking out and losing half my roll playing HSNL. Oops. Since it seems the football team is just going to keep sucking I decide it would be best to cash out my online bankroll until the season is over. This turns out to be a huge mistake.
For almost 2 months I have no bankroll and am unable to play online and don’t play live games anymore as boozing far surpassed gambling on most people’s interest list. This was stopped by one of the greatest weekends of my life, December 8-9, weekend before finals, at the STTF-USP. I meet a lot of the people who were the stars of the forum when I was a lowly noob a year and a half ago. Everyone is really cool, and its definitely weird meeting people you talk to online or were in your fantasy football team AFTER doing these activities with them. Don’t really want to put the trip report here, if you want to read it, I have a blog it’s towards the beginning if you want to read it. I will say that if you haven’t met Fiery Justice IRL he is actually happy. Noodleman is just as funny, which he should as he is a younger clone of Billy Bob Thorton. In Vegas I give Bonafone 220 in cash for money on full tilt and am back in business. Turn it into 3k at cashaments before once again I feel the urge to gamble overwhelming me again. I realize what’s going on and I can control myself when playing so that my game is nearly unaffected now. I get the urge to gamble all the time and it just isn’t healthy for me. I have more than enough money to pay for school and stuff, and am starting to learn currency trading. I have decided that it is best for me to clear the urge to gamble from my system if I am going to live a regular life so I will be taking a break from the forums and poker until after Spring Break. Hopefully this will allow me to come back to poker with a renewed vigor and passion for the game. I still plan on living Vegas during the series, and keeping in touch with the STTuFas whether or not I play seriously (read: as a job) when I come back or just as a hobby.

If you aren’t familiar with how well threads work, you can ask me any question about anything, poker or otherwise for the next few days and I’ll do my best to answer you.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the number of people here who look like billy bob thorton is also ridiculously small. you still pwn though even if i don't talk much, will ball this summer, see you this summer holllaaa.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahhaha! The billy bob thornton thing follows me everywhere. We are gonna have a STTF look alike contest someday, bracket style. I fully expect to meet travesty fund / Christian Bale in the finals.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:49 AM

did you enjoy helping me with biomechanics homework? if so, could you help me again in the near future? finally, will you be there when i need you to tell me my equity when im 3 handed in a mtt and fish are offering me deals again?

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] velocity
Old 02-25-2007, 05:05 AM

I'm going to read that tomorrow.

Next life lesson will focus around use of paragraphs in trip reports.

Guh.

Yugoslav
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2007, 07:42 AM

Is it possible to play too tight in SNGs?
Old 02-25-2007, 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
did you enjoy helping me with biomechanics homework? if so, could you help me again in the near future? finally, will you be there when i need you to tell me my equity when im 3 handed in a mtt and fish are offering me deals again?

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] velocity

[/ QUOTE ]

actually i did enjoy helping with that. it's much more interesting than doing my own schoolwork. will i help in the near future? yes later today it's on. as for the last question, im not playing, that doesn't mean im quittting the internet for 3 weeks. i expect to have to do this tomorrow as well.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to read that tomorrow.

Next life lesson will focus around use of paragraphs in trip reports.

Guh.

Yugoslav
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I look at that now and don't remember writing a single word of it. I guess I should read it too to make sure it makes sense.