Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: What are your all time favorite announcers\' calls?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
some dutch announcer in world cup '98: "DENNISBERGKAMPDENNISBERGKAMPDENNISBERGKAMP"

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a video of the play, with said radio announcer's call superimposed.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my favorite from this thread. The guy is just so excited/amazed/happy. An all-time youtube clip.

Doesn't hurt that it's also one of the best goals in soccer history.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:13 PM

Actaully, I just remembered some other good ones.

Sean McDonough's call of the 2005 Rose Bowl (Dusty Mangum's kick to beat Michigan)

(voice cracking) IT'S GOOOOOOOD.... IT'S GOOOOOOD

Much like Dick Stockton, if I ever saw Sean commentating a sporting event, I always felt like everything was under control.

And then there's the 2006 Rose Bowl. I'm usually not a huge fan of Keith Jackson... but I thought that he captured the moment pretty well. The radio call with Craig Way was freaking awesome too.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I espeically don't fault a Red Sox or Stockton fanboi or even just any baseball fan in general for including it. This one is just my own personal taste I think.
I go back and forth on how much I like Stockton.

For a stretch in there I didn't care for him so much but I really tend to dig him a lot more now (most recently doing the Braves/D-Backs on Fox this past Saturday)

[/ QUOTE ]

SHOCKER UPCOMING: I'm actually a Yankees fan.

*ducks under a desk*

I'm just a big baseball fan that appreciates great moments. Even ones that teams I root for are on the wrong end of.

Hell, I'm an overall sports fan.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:25 PM

Well, I grew up in the Cincinnati area and have always been a huge Reds fan but I can also appreciate how awesome the game and moment were.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:00 PM

MicroBob, I got chills just reading the transcript of the Scully call of Koufax's perfect game. Thanks for posting that.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MicroBob, I got chills just reading the transcript of the Scully call of Koufax's perfect game. Thanks for posting that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, MB. I hate the Red-Headed Freak, but that is great stuff.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:17 PM

glad you enjoyed.

Listening to some other announcers (especially younger ones and SportsCenter wannabe's) fumble their way through dramatic moments just makes me cringe and then you get to something truly great like Scully's call of the Koufax perfect game and you gain an understanding of how a good/great announcer can truly make such an amazing sports moment come to life and even enhance that moment.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
glad you enjoyed.

Listening to some other announcers (especially younger ones and SportsCenter wannabe's) fumble their way through dramatic moments just makes me cringe and then you get to something truly great like Scully's call of the Koufax perfect game and you gain an understanding of how a good/great announcer can truly make such an amazing sports moment come to life and even enhance that moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think listening to the entire bottom of the 9th inning of the A's/Dodgers Game 1 World Series game also does the same thing. Of course we all remember the great home run call. But the way Vin builds and enhances the drama during the course of the inning is just spectacular.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:29 PM

I agree that much of the 9th as well as all of Gibson's at-bat and ending with "and she is gone......(pause) and the next question was could he make it around the bases unassisted?"

But all that stuff about panning across the dugout and you don't see any Kirk Gibson there in essence setting something up that he didn't even know he was setting up, etc etc was really cool.

That one is on an entirely different level because he couldn't have had ANY idea that they would actually bring out Gibson (or even that anyone would get on base to set up the possibility) or that Gibson would actually hit a HR.

And Gibson looked truly awful on a couple of those foul-balls and was stuck facing a pretty good reliever so even while he was standing there and it was set up to be a perfectly dramatic moment most people had absolutely zero expectation that he was actually going to hit a HR.

The Koufax perfecto obviously he was perfectly aware of the greatness of the moment heading into the 9th.
Koufax's 4th no-no in 4 yrs and this one a perfect-game. By the time the 9th inning came it was just the culmination of a great performance so he set it up a bit more by going through each specific motion as dramatically as he could and by giving the time and date, etc etc.
Obviously he did a great job with this, but by that time it's not like it caught anyone by surprise that Koufax successfully pitched the final 1-2-3 inning.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:44 PM

Since we're on the topic of Vin Scully right now, any of you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-GgbP9C9Zk