Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 09:19 PM

Default Re: 2/4 B&M - Bet or checkraise monster flop that I capped preflop?

I capped a live 2/4 hand PF last week with JJ, on the river I made one last bet and the opponenet guessed that I had AK right before he called me down. Won the pot and was glad that I was not passive with it at all.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:45 PM

I think Bernie has pretty much been spot on. The people playing $2/4 generally don't raise or reraise without premium hands. If I was in this situation I would raise for value and information(Information being the most important in for low stakes).

The reraise screams QQ-AA, AK, and maybe AQ. I would call knowing I'm almost certainly behind if an A-Q hits and may still behind with a junky hand.

When you have the nuts in limit; bet it. No reason to be tricky. With a flop like this I'm only concerned about making the most money. They will call, but are all too likely to simply check without the nuts. If they have AA-QQ they will reraise, they will call with 2 overs and a huge pot.

The beauty with this situation is that I would have been re-raised with a cold call. Now I slow play a bit and just call.

I check raise the turn and put in bets till I'm blue in the face after that. The only thing that might slow me down is an A-Q. Let them try and get lucky.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:57 PM

I think it is best just to come out betting in this situation. Due to the size of the pot people people will call with hands that may even be drawing dead.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Bernie has pretty much been spot on. The people playing $2/4 generally don't raise or reraise without premium hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is very table dependant. I've railed 2/4 games waiting for my table quite a bit because the games are close to where I usually wait and see 6 people to a flop for 3bets and the best hand being AJs or someone caps it w/ 99 or KQs all the time.[ QUOTE ]

If I was in this situation I would raise for value and information(Information being the most important in for low stakes).

[/ QUOTE ]
This is backwards! EVERY time you bet, you should be betting for value. Betting/raising for info is a great way to lose chips. You can get lots of info without putting yourself in a spot to lose more money by mainly paying attention to what the players around you are doing and playing ABC poker. ABC poker is king at lower limit games.
[ QUOTE ]

The reraise screams QQ-AA, AK, and maybe AQ. I would call knowing I'm almost certainly behind if an A-Q hits and may still behind with a junky hand.

When you have the nuts in limit; bet it. No reason to be tricky. With a flop like this I'm only concerned about making the most money. They will call, but are all too likely to simply check without the nuts. If they have AA-QQ they will reraise, they will call with 2 overs and a huge pot.

The beauty with this situation is that I would have been re-raised with a cold call.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
[ QUOTE ]
Now I slow play a bit and just call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Slowplaying typically does not maximize profit as much as just playing your hand straight forward. Sometimes it is just best to flat call (ie looking for overcallers). I do not consider this "slow playing".
[ QUOTE ]

I check raise the turn and put in bets till I'm blue in the face after that. The only thing that might slow me down is an A-Q. Let them try and get lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't need to get lucky.. we have a strong hand that we need to play well.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Except with those other hands, you're not likely to come alive on a J high flop. Capping it puts your range as a bit wider when that type of flop hits.

Most of your passive opponents also wouldn't raise with 88-TT, AT, etc... You have to see what they're seeing. Which is alot of only what hand they'd play that way. Which is another reason not to wait to the turn when you flop a set. Because that's what they'd do.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point. By capping preflop you disguise your hand on the flop. I agree that even unobservant opponents would get a read on your hand if you called the 3-bet preflop and got aggressive on a Jack high flop.