Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Why I Am A Semi-Sociopath

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Could you describe the process of brainwash and indoctranation the US military put you thru?

[/ QUOTE ]

And what would that have to do with anything? Once I became a big boy I decided what I would chose to believe or not believe. I chose the truth. How about you?

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]How about me, what? I'm gonna believe that you are not only a troll, but also a liar. And put you on ignore. I'm sure I'm gonna miss out on lots of "truths", about everyone that went to vietnam was there voluntarily. Give me a break sun. You have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you are not only a troll, but also a liar

[/ QUOTE ]

Troll...o.k. But not a liar.

[ QUOTE ]
about everyone that went to vietnam was there voluntarily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never said that. Never said that everyone that entered the military during the vietnam war did so voluntarily. They did have a choice though. Muhammed Ali is a prime example of exercising his choice not to go. Others fled the country. What has that got to do with whether those that served believed they were serving their country and fighting for freedom. I know that much. My guess is that you might be angry because you feel guilty for not doing the same as those that protect you.
Please feel free to x me out. That is your right. The right amecican soldiers have always vowed to and given their lives so you may do so.

pokwervintage
Old 11-12-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When faced with two extreme versions of truth, I usually find that the real truth is somewhere in the murky middle.

Now all my experience is just anecdotal evidence, but I'll admit it is a principle I live by. I truly do enjoy being a moderate.

[/ QUOTE ]

We had a thread about this once. The consensus was that truth is rarely in the middle. Of course, there were some dissenters.

I believe the truth is almost always either at one extreme or something nobody had even thought of. It's only in the middle in very limited cases.

Do you really find that the truth is usually in the middle, or does this just seem like a common-sense assumption to you?
Old 11-12-2007, 08:53 PM

I don't think you're correct, avoiding the draft wasn't easy for many and many who could avoid it did. But assuming you're correct, is it a good thing that you so willingly fight these wars and blindly support your leaders?

put another way, how badly conceived and ineptly run would a war have to be before you would oppose it?

chez
Old 11-12-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Could you describe the process of brainwash and indoctranation the US military put you thru?

[/ QUOTE ]

And what would that have to do with anything? Once I became a big boy I decided what I would chose to believe or not believe. I chose the truth. How about you?

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]

You believe that what soldiers BELIEVE they are fighting for is exactly what they really ARE fighting for. This seems like "the truth" to you?
Old 11-12-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you are not only a troll, but also a liar

[/ QUOTE ]

Troll...o.k. But not a liar.

[ QUOTE ]
about everyone that went to vietnam was there voluntarily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never said that. Never said that everyone that entered the military during the vietnam war did so voluntarily. They did have a choice though. Muhammed Ali is a prime example of exercising his choice not to go. Others fled the country. What has that got to do with whether those that served believed they were serving their country and fighting for freedom. I know that much. My guess is that you might be angry because you feel guilty for not doing the same as those that protect you.
Please feel free to x me out. That is your right. The right amecican soldiers have always vowed to and given their lives so you may do so.

pokwervintage

[/ QUOTE ]

NONE OF THIS MATTERS SINCE WHAT THEY THOUGHT THEY WERE FIGHTING FOR AND WHAT THEY WERE ACTUALLY FIGHTING FOR ARE TWO WHOLLY DIFFERENT THINGS.

Madnak never said that all soliders joined up to kill babies.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you're correct, avoiding the draft wasn't easy for many and many who could avoid it did. But assuming you're correct, is it a good thing that you so willingly fight these wars and blindly support your leaders?

put another way, how badly conceived and ineptly run would a war have to be before you would oppose it?

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats dangerous hippie pinko talk.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you're correct, avoiding the draft wasn't easy

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said it was easy?

[ QUOTE ]
many who could avoid it did

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and many didn't. It is the many that didn't that we are talkng about.

[ QUOTE ]
is it a good thing that you so willingly fight these wars .....?

[/ QUOTE ]

So willingly fight wars? Is there something I've said anywhere that leads you to believe that soldiers willing fight wars. In my experience noone seeks and desires peace more than a soldier that has to fight the War.

[ QUOTE ]
and blindly support your leaders

[/ QUOTE ]

An interesting way to put things. Because I and others chose to serve our country does not mean we blindly followed anyone. This sounds like a comment from someone not in search of the truth but someone who has a distate for the U.S. government.

[ QUOTE ]
how badly conceived and ineptly run would a war have to be before you would oppose it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I oppose all war. I do however, support those that fight the wars we wage. We being the U.S. I am a U.S. citizen. Our military performs a function that w the citizens of the U.S ask them to perform. Some even give their lives for us. Supporting U.S. soldiers is what I've been talking about not the wars their leaders get them into. You seem to want to turn this into a discussion about war.

pokervintage
Old 11-13-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think you're correct, avoiding the draft wasn't easy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who said it was easy?

[/ QUOTE ]
You said those who fought fought willingly, that would only be true if it were easy not to fight.

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

many who could avoid it did

Yes, and many didn't. It is the many that didn't that we are talkng about.

[/ QUOTE ]
Supports the above, if many who could easily avoid the draft did avoid it then it suggest that many of those who fought and couldn't easily avoid the draft would have avoided it if it were easy and hence weren't willingly fighting.

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

is it a good thing that you so willingly fight these wars .....?

So willingly fight wars? Is there something I've said anywhere that leads you to believe that soldiers willing fight wars.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, you said people fought of their own free will.

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

and blindly support your leaders

An interesting way to put things. Because I and others chose to serve our country does not mean we blindly followed anyone. This sounds like a comment from someone not in search of the truth but someone who has a distate for the U.S. government.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you think its okay to refuse to support a war, good we agree. How about opposing a war is that okay? Don't start with the distaste argument again, its nothing to do with America past or present.

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

how badly conceived and ineptly run would a war have to be before you would oppose it?

I oppose all war. I do however, support those that fight the wars we wage. We being the U.S. I am a U.S. citizen. Our military performs a function that w the citizens of the U.S ask them to perform. Some even give their lives for us. Supporting U.S. soldiers is what I've been talking about not the wars their leaders get them into. You seem to want to turn this into a discussion about war.

[/ QUOTE ]
No im happy to support people who fight, one such support is to oppose stupid wars so that they don't have to fight in the first place.

I thought you were confusing support for the war with support for the troops, sorry if I'm mistaken but its very common to claim that those opoposing a war aren't supporting the troops. So its okay with you for an American to oppose a war being fought by America because they consider it inept, ill-conceived and not worthy of the sacrifices being made by the troops.

chez
Old 11-13-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the backpedal. You accused David of being a sociopath because he didn't stand with those who fight to protect his freedoms. I said US soldiers don't fight to protect American freedoms, so your criticism of David makes no sense. Now somehow we've gone from arguing about whether soldiers fight to protect our freedoms to whether soldiers believe they're protecting our freedoms.

Not happening. We're discussing whether they are protecting our freedom, not whether they think they are. David ows them nothing because they think they're protecting him.

Commence semantic quibbling...