Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2006, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Justin Morneau wins AL MVP

ok...I AM EXCITED!!!!

I have been pimping Justin Morneau for AL MVP since early August.

My Morneau authentic Twins home #33 just arrived in the mail last week.

Congratulations to New Westminster, British Columbia's Justin Morneau, 2006 American League Most Valuable Player!
Old 11-22-2006, 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread makes me sad. Realizing how retarded sports writers are is diminishing Howard's MVP award, which was already undeserved to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should be happy, instead of people focusing on how stupid giving Howard his MVP(its a pretty bad choice) they will focus on how retarded gving it to Morneau was
Old 11-22-2006, 06:42 AM

I'm just happy Jeter didn't win. Didn't deserve it this year and one of the most overrated overpayed players in the league. I haven't looked at the numbers in a while but maybe Hafner or Santana should be the MVP.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't looked at the numbers in a while

[/ QUOTE ]

you might want to before saying

[ QUOTE ]
Jeter...didn't deserve it this year

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Jeter should have won. However, I'm completely baffled as to how Morneau finished ahead of Ortiz.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:18 AM

They said something on ESPN about how the Twins finished like 70-32; Morneau hit .362 with 92 RBIs in that stretch and how everybody (the writers) remembers what they saw last.

If the Twins didn't win the Central, no way Morneau wins the MVP.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They said something on ESPN about how the Twins finished like 70-32; Morneau hit .362 with 92 RBIs in that stretch and how everybody (the writers) remembers what they saw last.

If the Twins didn't win the Central, no way Morneau wins the MVP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ortiz hit better for the whole season than Morneau did in his best stretch
Old 11-22-2006, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just happy Jeter didn't win. Didn't deserve it this year and one of the most overrated overpayed players in the league. I haven't looked at the numbers in a while but maybe Hafner or Santana should be the MVP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bld,

You may be the only person who outside of Cleveland who thinks Hafner should be an MVP candidate and Jeter shouldn't.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
By "in a while," do you mean since last June? Jeter can still be one of the most overrated players (he is) and be a deserving MVP candidate (he is). He wouldn't have been my choice over Santana, but I think I had him #2.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:33 PM

Lets be real... Jeter might be overrated, but just as much as people hang on Ortiz's nuts. I'd much rather overrate a great hitting shortstop than a great hitting DH.

And incidentally I don't think Jeter is that overrated. His defense clearly is, but it seems through some metrics it comes across as above average. How many people seriously think Jeter is one of the 3 best players in baseball? I think you could easily stick him in the top 30 though.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:44 PM

Seems like some of you are forgetting it's the Most Valuable Player, not the guy with the highest OPS, or the guy with the highest average with men in scoring position, or VORP, or EqA or whatever. All of those things should be considered, but it's still a subjective award.

Hopefully, the voters use relevant criteria, but they're human beings. One year a guy got A-Rod and I-Rod confused and voted wrong. One year a genius left Pedro off his ballot completely, apparently because pitchers don't qualify as "players." One year Mo Vaughn won because he was a much nicer guy than Albert Belle. This year someone voted Morneau rather than Jeter because the Red Sox and Tigers had bad second halves. As Jack pointed out, by that guy's logic, had Jeter had a worse season, and thus the race between the Yankees and Red Sox been closer, he would have been more inclined to vote for Jeter. Someone was influenced to lower Jeter's vote by being told that Cano was "more dangerous" than Jeter. Shouldn't he have voted Cano higher than he voted Jeter?

Fuzzy thinking is limited to poker.