Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2006, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Hand vs. Negreanu on Day 1C

Oops some of the time. Fair assessment of his style includes a preference for small cards with flush draws.

Didn't read the 3 pages. I'm not sure I had to.

Told a cowboy named Shane once sometimes it ain't a challenge.

He's ahead or he's drawing. I'd muck with a snort.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:40 AM

the metagame value of pushing in this type of spot is almost worth more than the pot is when you play with such a great player to your left.

but be conscious of what this move tells him if he folds, because you can be sure he's going to switch it up against you now that you've shown him you're gonna stand up to him.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the metagame value of pushing in this type of spot is almost worth more than the pot is when you play with such a great player to your left.

but be conscious of what this move tells him if he folds, because you can be sure he's going to switch it up against you now that you've shown him you're gonna stand up to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear that.

Its infinitely easier to BE the higher level thinking player- than to play against one.

I'll OOPS sometimes here- rather than fold to his bluffs.

Bluffing multiway pots, as well as correctly re-bluffing multiway pots, is both profitable enough- and curious enough- that I do so sparingly.

I find that good tournament players IMMEDIATELY shut down vs. me when I rebluff them ONE TIME. They are content to attack the rest of the table instead, and work to trap me.

I once heard it called, "letting me be their piggy bank." A good player figured, since Im likely to fight back, they'd just stay out of the way and let me take chips from the rest of the table, then use their loose image to trap me later.

I dont know if that is the guiding logic for most good, highly aggressive, players; but I do know that they shut down pretty quickly after being rebluffed.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:58 AM

Daniel is aggro and all of that, but I find that he doesn't build big pots unless he has something. Now, granted, he has a large stack, but he also realizes that by betting 5K, he's assisting in committing you or button to a large pot for your stacks. He also sees there are 3 spades on the board and he knows that you are new. It's possible he knows that you know that: a. the button is betting light; b. the board is coordinated and you want to keep the pot small.

So, what does this all come down to. I think it comes down to the fact that playing Q8 preflop here sucks dick. Aside from that, he doesn't know you that well and he's trying to get you to make a mistake with "your spade" (or the button's). I'd say Q9 or Q10 or QJ are his most likely holdings. Add As to the mix.

What can you get him to fold of this bunch with a reraise? He doesn't know you that well, so if you reraise, you can get him to deliver a [censored] solliquoy about his hand and perhaps get him to fold. But perhaps not; I think QJ calls and Q10 maybe folds; Q9 probably folds.

Can you play this pot with him deep and call him down? No. Too many bad possibilities on the turn/river against deep stack.

Fold > reraise > call.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:13 PM

Slightly ahead or drawing to 2. Negreanu's gonna make you pay for it. And that's a steep price with Q8, so he can withstand the damage a bluff or two does because he's in a position and has the style to recover.

You'd still be ahead. Kicker doesn't play against Negreanu. Button's fold is a null. His holdings don't affect the texture of the hands still in.

Call, lead out turn, be put to a decision for your tournament.

Fold, then take the initative against Negreanu's punching bag with better holdings. Use this fold as leverage against Negreanu if he pulls another smallball squeeze.

Reraise if you're goin' for a jack outta the park. Just know what you're up against.