Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Stars account hacked

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to be a bit of a dik but are you scared of this guy? Do you hang in the same circles and "taking back" what is yours is an issue? 6.5K for a guy playing 1/2-3/6 is big coin. You think if you worked for minimum wage in a factory and the guy stole 6.5K from you that you would just roll over and not be too upset about it? Well look at it this way you probably make like 20$ an hour on Stars (maybe more) and this guy just SCREWED U OUT OF 325 HOURS OF FKN WORK! That is a month about 1.5 months of working a 9-5 job.
Dude dont let this go. You will regret it later. Tell everyone around, talk to his parents, get Stars to email him, make his life a living hell.

Nothing worst than a low life thief.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was advised by PStars not to post too many details of the investigation, but I will say this. No one is taking this more seriously than me. I will not let it rest, especially when it could potentially cost way more than $6700.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:26 PM

sounds like a good friend. I'd beat his a**
Old 06-12-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any chance the hand history files are still on his pc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Already thought about this. They probably are, but I doubt I will be allowed access to his pc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Show up to your friends house, unannounced, so he has no time to get rid of the evidence. Ask him to use his computer so you can check some things out. If he flat out denies you, something is up. If not, look for the hand histories.

You could do as another poster said, and go there when he's not home, and deal with it through his parents (but don't fill them in on the whole story, until you're certain) and search his computer.

Either way, there has to be some way to get access to his computer, and then the hand histories on his computer.

Alternatively, ask Stars to send you the last XXX hands played. It will have all the 5 W's that you need to know in order to gain as much information as possible.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone,

Put this http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

in one of these

and whenever you want to log on to your poker site just plug that into your computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're using it, use it for convienance. It won't protect you from anything at all besides forgetting your password.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:51 PM

FWIW ALL this guy "bucky835" is 100% scum and scammed MYNAMEIZGREG out of 1k.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW ALL this guy "bucky835" is 100% scum and scammed MYNAMEIZGREG out of 1k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Final nail in the coffin?

If this happened to me (it probably won't), I'd seriously take a baseball bat to my "friend's" head.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:12 PM

Disclaimer: I am no expert on law or computer security, so feel free to disregard any or all of my reply as you see fit.

So far the evidence is circumstantial, but does indicate that your friend could have an active involvement in this matter.

I still see some plausible deniability on his part. If you are able to collect some direct evidence, it will go a long way to solving this beyond reasonable doubt.

This is what I would do.

First I would cram myself with as much information about keyloggers as I can quickly find available. I would want a basic understanding of what the hardware types look like, and be on the lookout for the various programs that can aid in the detection that various software types, especially scanners that are available online.

Armed with that info, and with any instructional print-outs, screen shots, and downloaded programs, I would then go to his house unannounced, at a time that I know that he is there.

I would tell him that I would like to examine his computer for a keylogger, and ask his permission to do so.

If he objects, I would mention that I'm doing this to collect evidence that can determine who is culpable, and that if he is innocent, what I find could be strong evidence for his defense.

If he denies permission, for any reason, I would immediately go to the police. One exception would be if I lived in a state that prohibits online poker. Louisiana and Washington State come to mind.

If he granted permission, I would first physically inspect the computer, looking at all the attached hardware for anything I could not easily identify. I would ask for him tell me what he knows about any such device, then cross check what he says, right then and there, on the Internet.

I would then use any of the tools or methods that I recently acquired, and examine his software.

Who knows, it might be easy enough to bring up the Task Manager, and see keylogger.exe running. Or you might do an online Trojan scan, and discover that he is the victim of an infection.

If you are able to determine that a keylogger is installed on his machine, the nature of the keylogger will tell you much about his prior knowledge of it.

If you are unable to detect anything, that does not automatically rule him out as a suspect, as sufficient time has elapsed for the bad guy, whoever it it, to cover his tracks.

Time is of the essence. If this sounds like something that you are inclined to do, start ASAP. Google "keylogger", browse some computer security message boards, get a few blank CD's and get crackin'.

If you are sure that you want to try this, post back. Perhaps some members can team up with you, and share the research. A thirty second search showed that there are several things to look for. Perhaps if there are enough volunteers, adequate information can be gathered quickly enough to make the difference.

Alternately, you can go knock on his door right now, and assuming he's cooperative, start your research right there.

In any case, feel free to post back with your thoughts.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Disclaimer: I am no expert on law or computer security, so feel free to disregard any or all of my reply as you see fit.

In any case, feel free to post back with your thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your reply. I'll do that.

If anyone wants to help feel free.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your reply. I'll do that.

If anyone wants to help feel free.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do what I can. What's your timing like? I mean, when do you plan to knock on his door?

Also, what do you feel the chances are that he is following this thread?
Old 06-12-2007, 07:01 PM

Just run the program HijackThis on his computer. It will reveal programs running in the background. I can't remember if this shows rootkits, but you can go to downloads.com and get a program to search out rootkits. These will show what is on his computer. But if he is at all smart he has already cleaned his computer if he is guilty.

-Brendan