Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Re: What are you proud of as an American?

I look at the consolidated power of the US and consider how it might have been wielded by, oh, say, the USSR and I know without doubt we're orders of magnitude better custodians of such strength. Not perfect, but good and evil can be clearly viewed by all but the brainwashed moral relativists and the dysfunctional.

Endowed by our Creator, Baby!
Old 11-21-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually the football is carried more than its kicked or thrown, unless youre in San Diego. But the game developed from soccer and rugby, where kicking are more predominant, and kept the European name.

[/ QUOTE ]
Carried - with your arms - I might add. I enjoy watching both football (the soccer kind) and American football, but get annoyed how the US named their American football "football" and changed the name of real football to "soccer".

[/ QUOTE ]

And advanced with your feet... But seriously, who cares? Why is baseball called baseball? It gets thrown and hit with a bat? And for the record I love baseball, but only if I'm playing.

I've tried to get into soccer, but I just can't. It's like hockey, but without the fights. So much action with little results and then every two seconds someone is flopping on the groud crying getting carried off on a stretcher for NO REASON. In american football if someone gets carried off the field it's because they are physically incapeable of walking.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually the football is carried more than its kicked or thrown, unless youre in San Diego. But the game developed from soccer and rugby, where kicking are more predominant, and kept the European name.

[/ QUOTE ]
Carried - with your arms - I might add. I enjoy watching both football (the soccer kind) and American football, but get annoyed how the US named their American football "football" and changed the name of real football to "soccer".

[/ QUOTE ]

And advanced with your feet... But seriously, who cares? Why is baseball called baseball? It gets thrown and hit with a bat? And for the record I love baseball, but only if I'm playing.

I've tried to get into soccer, but I just can't. It's like hockey, but without the fights. So much action with little results and then every two seconds someone is flopping on the groud crying getting carried off on a stretcher for NO REASON. In american football if someone gets carried off the field it's because they are physically incapeable of walking.

[/ QUOTE ]

The similarities between soccer and hockey are superficial at best. More happens in a 35 second shift on ice than in the entire 90 minutes of a soccer match (and in an entire regular season of basebore).
Old 11-21-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's just agree to call soccer "communist kickball" and then there's never any confusion when someone talks about football.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed
Old 11-21-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let's just agree to call soccer "communist kickball" and then there's never any confusion when someone talks about football.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed

[/ QUOTE ]

I second. Send it to Iron, bring it to a poll.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:49 PM

I am proud of being able to make a fool of myself on the internets without being hurt , and definitely the ability of other people to, although that comes with some annoyance but can still be humorous. That thing called the Bill of Rights was a great idea too, as well as the Declaration of Independence.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Please describe the event occuring in this photo: [photo of American football player kicking a ball]

[/ QUOTE ]

In football/soccer, the only time a player legitimately uses his hands is when he returns the ball from out of bounds. This happens at most about 2% of game time. The rest of the time, the players use mostly their feet, and sporadically their heads, chests or bellies - i.e. everything but the hands.

In American football, the ball is kicked by the foot only when a team is punting, or kicking for goal. The rest of the time, the ball is HANDled.

Which game do you suppose uses more the foot (foot as in FOOTball) - Association football or American football? And thus literally deserves the name more? Straight answer, please.

BTW, American football is the closest thing to chess in physical sports. Figure that out.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Please describe the event occuring in this photo: [photo of American football player kicking a ball]

[/ QUOTE ]

In football/soccer, the only time a player legitimately uses his hands is when he returns the ball from out of bounds. This happens at most about 2% of game time. The rest of the time, the players use mostly their feet, and sporadically their heads, chests or bellies - i.e. everything but the hands.

In American football, the ball is kicked by the foot only when a team is punting, or kicking for goal. The rest of the time, the ball is HANDled.

Which game do you suppose uses more the foot (foot as in FOOTball) - Association football or American football? And thus literally deserves the name more? Straight answer, please.

BTW, American football is the closest thing to chess in physical sports. Figure that out.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-21-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, can we please end this utterly ridiculous digression.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:57 PM

Jesus F'ing christ, why do threads always get hijacked just because someone calls it football? Seriously when will all you god damn Euros stop getting your [censored] in a twist because Americans call it football? It's like you can't mention your name for communist kickball without throwing in some quip about "those yanks who use their hands but call it football!" So many thread hijacks over such meaningless crap...