Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 04:36 AM

Default Re: Does your significant other mind poker?

Well, the truth is my option isn't up there, and I kinda need to get this off my chest. ( I AM prepared)

I've been playing poker for a bit now as my sole source of income. Taking home more than my wife actually. We talked about it after I injured my back and couldn't work for a while. She said it was cool. Now it isn't! She basically said if I want to stay married to her (we have 3 children) I have to go and get a "real job" where I actually leave and go to a freaking office. WTF? I am making my mortgage payment with this income, it's not HUGE money, but sh1t we have a nice house in the burbs... Anyway, this sucks and I had to vent. Don't know how much I'll be playing anymore, if even at all. My family is obviously the most important thing in the world to me, and I won't sacrafice it for anything, but who the h3ll is she to force me to do this? Thanks for reading. Flame on....
Old 06-15-2005, 08:10 AM

I once got head while multi tabling"?

Only once? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

You poor thing ! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You missed

She understands it’s a hobby so she doesn’t mind, but wouldnt like me to play in all our free time so I limit my play.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the one I fall under...and I would think that a lot of others do as well.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
She basically said if I want to stay married to her (we have 3 children) I have to go and get a "real job" where I actually leave and go to a freaking office. WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

What is her reasoning behind saying this? Could you explain her thought process?
Old 06-21-2005, 04:11 PM

My wife was very worried at first, but after a couple of small wins I and cashing some out just to keep her from upset about it. I hit 2nd in a multi table game for $6300 the game lasted until 4:00 AM, she woke up when I went to bed so I told her. the next day I get home from work exhausted and fell asleep on the couch. she walked in from work woke me up and told me to go play poker. Now its a year later and she im still playing with out one negative word from her.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:16 PM

MOnday night, after the kids were in bed, my wife and I were sitting in front of the TV when she turned to me and said, "Is there any poker on TV tonight?" God, I love that woman!

We were on a family vacation and I got a no limit hold 'em game together, and she really enjoyed playing. Not saying she's caught the bug, but she is interested and doesn't mind me playing.

JunkHead
Old 06-21-2005, 04:38 PM

All these stories sound so great but I have a hard time a woman could be thrilled about her man playing poker all the time, especially if it takes time away from the relationship.

The last 2 posters who said their wives tell them to play -- (junkhead and eddiemoney) -- how many hrs a day do you guys play and what are you wives doing while you are playing?
Old 06-21-2005, 04:47 PM

My wife never tells me to play. I sit with my laptop and play while she knits. Now, don't get the wrong impression. We are not an old married couple, despite the knitting.

She enjoys watching poker on TV with me. She even asks great questions. For example, the last WPT we watched with Danny Nguyen (sp) and The Statue, my wife noticed The Statue not playing many hands. My wife said, "Won't the other players notice that he rarely plays any hands and know that when he does it's probably a very good hand?"

What a woman...

JunkHead
Old 06-21-2005, 05:21 PM

That really sucks.

I can see where this comes from though as my ex-wife (whom I am still friends with) would likely have had almost a severe reaction if I was playing poker while we were still together.

My current GF is cool with it and sees that I make more money at this then at other employment opportunities.
She sees it even more vividly now because I took her with me on the party-poker cruise...and would be taking her to Vegas for the WSOP if she was available.
I came damn close to winning an Aruba satellite the other night on UB and she was aware of that too.

Her parents are another story however.
They don't necessarily disapprove of me because they see that I make their daughter happy.
But they are traditional latino-catholics from South America and they envisioned their daughter being with a doctor or lawyer or something to that effect (she is a nurse...her dad is a doctor).
since they don't speak english (and I don't habla espanol) I can't explain much about it to them and I'm sure she only does a so-so job at it.

Her mom thought I had some sort of 'addiction' at first but now understands that I really do pay the bills by doing this AND that I'm getting quite good at it (with the cruise and WSOP trips as evidence).
but it still seems like VERY high-risk without being exactly the most noble of professionals to them and I can hardly blame them for thinking this.

When we first started dating 2 years ago I was 'between jobs' and just learning how to play so there's no way she could have envisioned where my 'career' has gone in the past couple years.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All these stories sound so great but I have a hard time a woman could be thrilled about her man playing poker all the time, especially if it takes time away from the relationship

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo! Mine never minded that I played and still doesn't, but 4 tabling 5000 hands a week, reading and posting here, a full time job, etc., etc., etc. doesn't leave a lot of time for the significant other.

This point was brought home to me in a rather unpleasant manner last week and I came thisclose to losing a 15 year relationship with a woman I truly love.

We're working it out now but I think I'll be passing on the less attractive bonii for now.On the up side my bonii will be getting more of a workout than usual. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]