Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Re: 10K LSAT YO?

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding law school: it's never interesting. Ever. You'll be playing on tilt in every class by your second semester. If you're not sure you want to be a lawyer don't waste your time, because the schooling is abysmal. I'm a 3L and I've hated every second.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

About a month into second semester of my 2L I wanted to quit really bad. I talked it out with a bunch of people. I decided not to quit and to gut it out because "hey, having a J.D. will always look good" and it was only a little over a year more and I had already came this far, etc. Same logic applied after graduation - might as well take the Bar. Then, might as well work a year or two and pay off all this debt.

5 years in to my legal career and I'm still wanting to quit. My fiance is almost done with nursing school and when she finishes I finally will quit.

My point? Don't have one. Just another dissatisfied lawyer.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Regarding law school: it's never interesting. Ever. You'll be playing on tilt in every class by your second semester. If you're not sure you want to be a lawyer don't waste your time, because the schooling is abysmal. I'm a 3L and I've hated every second.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

About a month into second semester of my 2L I wanted to quit really bad. I talked it out with a bunch of people. I decided not to quit and to gut it out because "hey, having a J.D. will always look good" and it was only a little over a year more and I had already came this far, etc. Same logic applied after graduation - might as well take the Bar. Then, might as well work a year or two and pay off all this debt.

5 years in to my legal career and I'm still wanting to quit. My fiance is almost done with nursing school and when she finishes I finally will quit.

My point? Don't have one. Just another dissatisfied lawyer.

[/ QUOTE ]

1L year was great, and it was all downhill from there.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Brag: found out I passed for the second time last week.
Double Brag: Insta 10% raise

[/ QUOTE ]

Nicely done, sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, forgot.

Triple Brag: Found out while at the cardroom (took a long weekend for bar results), proceeded to straddle cap next pot with J2o, river trip deuces for ~30BB pot, whole table tilts until I buy round of drinks.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My GPA is low though so who knows- we may end up in the same school and class. Then maybe we'll become study partners, form a lasting bond, and become bff. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
My GPA is really high. Somewhere around 3.92 at the University of Michigan, majoring in Computer Science (and minoring in Spanish, lol).

But that shouldn't rule out our becoming bffs. I enjoy long walks on the beach and kicking puppies. Um, I mean, not kicking puppies. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2007, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That should be enough motivation ($160,000 / year ftw).

[/ QUOTE ]
(Edit: BRAG I've made more than that so far this year from poker and poker-related ventures. This is obv because I run sick hot (especially at staking) and I will probably go on a 100k downswing during the summer, as I secretly blow at poker. So, yeah, 160k/yr guaranteed would be nice.

I mean, unless I somehow stop sucking at poker, and putting in lots of hours, and winning lots more money.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:54 PM

I feel like I've had this conversation with a few friends before. They seem to decide on law school simply for lack of a better plan. I try to talk them into doing something they would genuinely enjoy instead. I usually fail.

You're a good poker player and you make good money doing that. Why would you sidetrack that life do jump into something you're not even sure you would enjoy? Just because it gives you a more concrete structure and goal to pass a few years of your twenties? [censored] it. Make poker money while it's there to be made. Enjoy your youth. Don't commit to something you don't even know you want to do.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:06 PM

Not to get all materialistic, but $160k/year is a really conservative estimate. That's base salary for someone fresh out of law school. Even then, you can probably expect a ~30k bonus depending on the firm.

Granted, it still pales in comparison to the scratch some pros make, but lawyers make a bundle. (Of course, it's not worth it if you don't enjoy what you do. If I had the option to make 200k playing poker, no contest, even if a steady job offered more)
Old 05-21-2007, 10:32 PM

also, enjoy 80 hours a week of pure misery and death. No thanks. By the way, I am almost 100 % positive i could get over a 160, and prob could get ovoer a 170 having done no prep work or anything whatsoever and knowing nothing about what's on the test... just doesn't seem like a complex thing if its logic puzzles and reading comp
Old 05-21-2007, 10:50 PM

two thoughts. one is my first practice was a 164 as well. spent 1 month, took 10 practice tests, and scored mid 170's. not hard at all.

second thought to all the hating on lawyers - it varies greatly with what type of law you practice. i intern at a non-profit practice and love it. plan on doing public interest. sure the pay sucks but i've got poker to keep me happy (and working 45 hours/week allows for plenty of poker) and i will actually enjoy what i do. just my 2 cents.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to get all materialistic, but $160k/year is a really conservative estimate. That's base salary for someone fresh out of law school. Even then, you can probably expect a ~30k bonus depending on the firm.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, i don't think that 160k salaries are all that common for first year associates. these kinds of positions/firms are out there, especially if you are coming from a good school, but they are nevertheless SUPER competitive. it's not like getting that job would be a piece of cake.

also, to OP...i would echo what nath said. if you are planning to go to law school simply out of a lack of anything else to do, it may not be the best idea. then again, if it's something you genuinely want to do, something you genuinely think you'll enjoy, then don't let others who are down on it dissuade you. it's still possible to find lawyers who love their jobs.