Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Best films about drug use and addiction?

Spun should tickle you real good.

All about the drugs, starring Micky Rourke, Jon Leguizamo, and directed by an ex-music video director.

Cliffs: This movie holds the record for the most edits of any feature length film.

EDIT: just noticed that Spun has been written two times already.

Traffic is the most unrealistic, convoluted POS I ever seen. Full of half-baked, conveniently controversial material. The cinematography was okay. I know that it is supposed to be based on a true story, but.... give me a ####### break.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Basketball Diaries
^ DiCaprio's best movie

I didn't know there was a Christiane F movie, I read the book and loved it... definitely have to check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL that movie is so unbelieveable its not bad, but Leo wasn't 2 convincing as a basketball player. Also hes probably made 10 better movies.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got an amazing opportunity to write a script (paid upfront!) on a musician who was a drug addict. I'm looking for ways to make it unique and realistic. It's not supposed to be linear, more congruent to his lifestyle (impulsive and unrestricted with talent, ambition and sheer insanity).

It's not about drugs per se or showing the experience of drugs but rather about living a fast life -- low low times and lifting himself up to greatness while doing everything and anything big, wild and out of control.

Any writers, feel free to share ideas if ya have them. These drug-films will definitely help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was waiting to see anything remotely like Tarantino come out for a long time, and it's still far from common. By that I mean showing people into drugs are not all evil, and certainly not all the time. I'd just suggest that drug dealers not be turned into cartoons, nor the people who use drugs into victims or idiots or both, if you want to give a feeling of welcome verisimilitude. Tarantino showed you can do that even when hyping the action and absurdity way up. It can feel real even when it's very unlikely to be, if you do it right. The after-school portrayal of everything druggy has long been bankrupt and an instant ticket to irrelevance. I guess I'm saying, these stories are so much more interesting and true to life when they aren't cheap and full of paint-by-numbers predictable attitudes and events. Leave your characters the room to live and breathe in your script rather than talking down to the audience, and your flick will be so much better.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Been years since I last watched it, but there's the nutty La Luna

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079495/

The only oedipal film I can recall. The son is a junky, IIRR. Mom really goes to the limits to try and get her sn distracted off the junk, if you know what I mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it was called Luna here when it first came out. Terrible bring-down for the then-idolized, miraculous and now almost entirely forgotten Jill Clayburgh.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Geez, where do you find these films DB!

"the scene where Joe licks the dirt off his mothers face is at once touching and erotic..."

Lol. Sounds really awkward and uncomfortable to me. I'm tempted to add it to my queue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love director Bertolucci and main actress Clayburgh, and I'll just say ... I wouldn't.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Boogie Nights has pretty much the most accurate coke scene I've ever seen (with Juilianne Moore and Heather Graham).

[/ QUOTE ]

i always tought scarfaces "head into the pile" at the end was the most accurate coke scene ever made

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I especially like that he had a diving board behind his office chair set up for that. I mean, how likely was that?
Old 09-28-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Boogie Nights has pretty much the most accurate coke scene I've ever seen (with Juilianne Moore and Heather Graham).

[/ QUOTE ]

i always tought scarfaces "head into the pile" at the end was the most accurate coke scene ever made

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my most favourite drug scene in any movie, ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7fdwk7iirk

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow that was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. I guess if it fit into the movie it would be alright, but I just couldn't take it seriously. I kept thinking... wow the director hasn't done any drugs.

Trainspotting is probably the best movie I've seen about drug use.

[ QUOTE ]
Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: People think it's all about misery and desperation and death and all that [censored] which is not to be ignored, but what they forget is the pleasure of it. Otherwise we wouldn't do it. After all, we're not [censored] stupid. At least, we're not that [censored] stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a truth you don't see in many drug movies. Requiem is overrated because of its sexy factor (stylish/cool cinematography).
Old 09-29-2007, 05:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow that was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. I guess if it fit into the movie it would be alright, but I just couldn't take it seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, it was a comedy.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm more partial to this one. (NSFW, and quite graphic).
Old 09-29-2007, 08:49 AM

I skipped 5 pages of this thread, but nobody had mentioned Traffic.