Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2006, 01:01 AM

Default Re: It\'s going for $1,000,000,000 per kilo

Seriously, think about what you are claiming.

Do electrons have mass? Yes.

Does "electricity" have mass? No.

I understand that mass and energy can be equated, but it is marginal to propose that we can give some mass to an energy that is not associated with a mass at the instant we want to determine it. We can calculate how much the electrons weigh that are used, and use this as what we pay for - although ina renewable sense. We can also calculate the cost of certain methods that create electrical energy - combustion, etc. But assigning a mass to the electricy itself is marginal at best. And even if you did, it would have no meaning in terms of economics.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, think about what you are claiming.

Do electrons have mass? Yes.

Does "electricity" have mass? No.

I understand that mass and energy can be equated, but it is marginal to propose that we can give some mass to an energy that is not associated with a mass at the instant we want to determine it. We can calculate how much the electrons weigh that are used, and use this as what we pay for - although ina renewable sense. We can also calculate the cost of certain methods that create electrical energy - combustion, etc. But assigning a mass to the electricy itself is marginal at best. And even if you did, it would have no meaning in terms of economics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh.

Just go back and read my initial comment again, because given that:

A) You are NOT buying electrons
B) You are buying ENERGY
C) The question was about buying something for dollars PER KILOGRAM,

The ONLY way to calculate a meaningful result is to use the mass-energy relation.

Jesus H Christ.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:12 AM

But do we buy batterys for the amount of "electricty-grams" they provide? No. So it is illogical wo create a $ amount that is in terms of electrical mass. This amount HAS NO BEARING on economics. It can't be compared to any other cost/gram numbers. I agree with you point that a mass for a certain energy can be calculated, but consider the outcome and what it applies to. And I also agree that we dont buy electrons, that was stated as an alternative that actually relies on mass.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:24 AM

Your problem is with the OP. Perhaps it is poorly formed. I'm satisfied with my interpretation of it. Given that I'm asked about a $/mass sale on a product that is actually energy, the mass-energy relation is the only thing that makes any sense.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:49 AM

vnh
Old 06-10-2006, 02:16 PM

Thread way to nitty. We might as well be saying that we're not buying a gallon of gas, but buying the fractional amount transformed into heat radiation by reaction with oxygen, or you're not buying an apple but the tiny amount of mass lost by breaking up the glucose molecules. I'm paying a billion dollars a pound for gas and apples now!
Old 06-11-2006, 11:36 AM

Physics is gay.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:36 AM

This thread is amusing. But the guy with "degrees in physics and nuclear engineering" needs to start posting again. It's awesome when people who are wrong are so sure they're right that they insult and ridicule everyone who disagrees with them.