Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: The Ultimate Fighter / UFC thread

Couture's not fighting again this year anyway due to his broken forearm.

Alexander looks good, though I think he's too old to become a megastar.

If you think Jardine only made $14k for that fight, you're nuts. The payroll numbers reports to the athletic commissions are only base salaries for fights. The UFC gives lots of bonuses (in addition to the standard bonuses for Fight of the Night, KO/Sub of the night, etc.), plus these guys are making a lot of money off of sponsorships. It is weird that Jardine made one of the lowest base salaries on the card, though.

Going back to Houson, there's a bunch of routes the UFC can go with the LHW division. You could throw him in with Forrest, Jardine, Wandy, Bisping, etc. If they had signed Sokoudjou, THAT would be a fun matchup with the stories behind it.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! have you heard of this great man called Randy Couture?

I'm loving what I'm seeing from Houston Alexander. I would love to see him beat the snot out of Bisping or Machida.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell how serious you are, but...do you really think Randy is the rule rather than the exception? How many other fighters have done what he has? How many other fighters like him have tailed off as they've aged?
Old 10-03-2007, 01:51 AM

hijack- saw houston alexander in the underground fight nights in omaha. he didnt fight but was there signing autographs and taking pictures. cool guy, he looks like a badass.

/hijack
Old 10-03-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm loving what I'm seeing from Houston Alexander. I would love to see him beat the snot out of Bisping or Machida.

[/ QUOTE ]

Randy is the best ground and pound fighter ever. Since he is not dependent on speed he can be effective at a ripe old age. Strikers are toast once they lose just a shred of hand speed and reflexes. One reason whey Liddell got smoked in his last two fights.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Randy is the best ground and pound fighter ever. Since he is not dependent on speed he can be effective at a ripe old age. Strikers are toast once they lose just a shred of hand speed and reflexes. One reason whey Liddell got smoked in his last two fights.

[/ QUOTE ]

This man says hello.

More seriously though, Randy's strength isn't his ground and pound. It's his ability (to use one of his cliches) to impose his will on his opponent. It's his ability to find holes in his opponent's game and (as was the case with Gonzaga) to exploit the edge he has in a certain area of the fight.

In terms of his actual strength in a fight, it's his clinch and dirty boxing game.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:28 AM

People can say what they want about randy, but theres just no way he'll win a fight against Fedor, sorry to say it, I love couture but there's just not enough holes in Fedors game for him to get a win.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People can say what they want about randy, but theres just no way he'll win a fight against Fedor, sorry to say it, I love couture but there's just not enough holes in Fedors game for him to get a win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fedor would be a strong favorite against Randy, but saying that there's "just no way" Randy could win is ridiculous. Haven't all the upsets in the past year taught you anything? All it takes is one punch with those 4 oz gloves or a cut from an elbow. Watch Fedor's fight against Lindland. Lindland was actually doing very well against Fedor in the first minute and he has a very similar style to Randy, but is naturally about 30 pounds lighter. Fedor has been hurt in the past, and dare I say it, gotten lucky that he wasn't finished. If Randleman had slammed him at a slightly different angle, he could have been paralyzed. Now part of the reason Fedor survived that slam was because he knew to tuck his head, but if the angle had been different, it wouldn't have mattered what he had done. And if Fujita hadn't been gassed when he stunned Fedor, he might have been able to KO him. The point is that Fedor is human, and a great fighter like Randy certainly has a decent chance of beating him.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:29 PM

Yeah, saying Randy can't defeat Fedor is hilarious, but "the past year of upsets" has nothing to do with it. Go back through the year, and only the Serra/GSP fight still looks nuts in retrospect (based on info we have post-fight).

The reason Randy can beat Fedor is the reason Randy beat Sylvia and Gonzaga. He'll try his hardest to get the fight where he wants it. The only problem is that Fedor is basically a faster, stronger Randy Couture in the prime of his career.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:00 PM

how could anyone beat this man?!

Closed Thread