Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Time Travel Game: how would you make money?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd become a beat maker. I don't know how well "our" music would appeal to the early 90s but with material ranging from Britney Spears to Linkin Park to Pharrell, I'm sure I could produce something successful. Could do this in well under a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

How? The technology in 1992 would not allow this...plus, what makes you think music today would be popular during the "grunge" period of popular music?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok step by step process

Step 1. Get an internship at movie production company

Step 2. Bet the big moneyline upsets...finding a bookie isn't hard.

Step 3. Pitch your awesome original movie/tv ideas while at work.

Step 4. You've now been hired as a movie executive. Keep betting the moneylines etc. Make tons of $$ of your movie ideas.

Step 5. Bang supermodels.

Step 6. Your a multi millionaire...and its only been 4-6 months

[/ QUOTE ]

When you're sitting around in 1992 with 100 other people who write screenplays for a living, what makes you think your ideas will standout as "awesome"? Just because they've since been made into movies?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the vast majority of people who write screenplays for a living have [censored] ideas. The top 5-10% have the great high concept ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

But how are you going to rewrite Memento or something else from memory and have the credibility so some studio is going to make your movie? You don't think they get tons of interesting screenplays all the time? What's going to make yours standout? Because it was a killer movie in 1999 doesn't mean if some random guy tried to rewrite the screenplay from memory that it would shock people with its awesomeness.

[/ QUOTE ]

no they don't.
And you wouldn't be remaking Memento of all movies.
You be pitching sutff like There's Something About Mary, Wedding Crashers, Liar Liar, all 1 million romantic comedys/horror movies etc. You'd be able to pin point the hot talent before they become expensive. etc etc
Basically you would go from being an intern to a creative exec/producer in the span of a month. If you were betting sports,moneylines etc at the same time with most of your salary and income generated thru pitches...you'd be a millionaire easy after a year

[/ QUOTE ]

Either this is an attempted level or you aren't thinking this through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your not writing any scripts. That can be left to screenwriters

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey I got this great idea ... these 2 guys go around crashing weddings ... one falls in love with a chick ... chaos ensues ... you fill in the rest ... please to be having my million dollars?

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a guy with an idea. not a movie pitch
a pitch requires u to tell the entire movie from beginning to end.

and in the case of both Dom and I and anyone else who has even basic knowledge of screenwriting...it is likely we could simply spend 2-3 months writing out several comedies/blockbusters from memory.

Thus we could probably become a millionaire just off the scripts alone..not having to use the ideas to sell pitches/move up job wise and then parlay that money into gambling.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've seen Wedding Crashers/night at the Museum/Something about Mary/etc etc right? More than once?
go grab a pen...you can write out a summary for pretty much every single scene from the entire movie in about 30 minutes unless your have a godawful memory.

Now do the same for the Sixth Sense, Liar Liar, yada yada yada

Randomly start a conversation in the office the next day with one of the executives/agents/managers/producers/etc..talk about your movie...tell it well

guess who is no longer an intern.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are given the time to make script summaries, then why not just write the notes for every NFL game? You don't need to somehow land a job in Hollywood and convince somebody to buy your NFL picks.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and in the case of both Dom and I and anyone else who has even basic knowledge of screenwriting...it is likely we could simply spend 2-3 months writing out several comedies/blockbusters from memory.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're still missing my point: What is going to make your script standout so that some company is going to buy it up and get to it quickly enough for you to see much for your months of work? You are a no name with no contacts. You can't say "Oh but this was a huge hit in 2003, I guarantee it will work." You can jump up and down and tell them your idea rocks, but on black and white paper, what makes these scripts such sure locks? They were only hits when combined with the right talent, etc. On paper, I don't think the script for Wedding Crashers screams "blockbuster sure lock" and stands out as much as you think it does.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:37 PM

What makes you think that your idea wont just get used and you will get nothing. Screwing people over is the name of the game in that industry.

What makes you think you would get paid? What is the lead time from good script ----> movie-----> profit ------> you actually get paid.

I figure you would need a couple of hits under your belt before you see any real cash.

The script/hit song ideas stink.

The reason sports betting and horse punting will work is because you know the market exists and it is a guaranteed way to get cash fast.

If you could recall some specific financial market info that could work - but I don't know who could do that. The sports & racing stuff is easy for anyone who had an interest at the time. There are things you just know.

No other horse punters from that time? Getting a few 12/1 shots up etc will build that bankroll really fast. The sports stuff I can recall off the top of my head all involve favourites - so I will double up there, but horse racing provides the odds.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're still missing my point: What is going to make your script standout so that some company is going to buy it up and get to it quickly enough for you to see much for your months of work? You are a no name with no contacts. You can't say "Oh but this was a huge hit in 2003, I guarantee it will work."

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG

If some one handed midget writes The Sixth Sense and gets it into any agents or even agent's assistants hands...it is so going to sell..esp in the 1992 spec market compared to today

There are plenty of tyro scribes making spec sales with little to no contacts in 2007. and the spec market of 2007 is so so much worse than the spec market of 1992...not to mention most of todays writers scripts aren't even very good. Now you write 3-6 of these specs from movies that were huge blockbusters and from scripts that sold for hundreds of thousands of dollars....and you think they all of a sudden aren't going to sell cuz u dont have tons of contacts?

you don't need tons of contacts to sell a script. You need a awesome script.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What makes you think that your idea wont just get used and you will get nothing. Screwing people over is the name of the game in that industry.

What makes you think you would get paid? What is the lead time from good script ----> movie-----> profit ------> you actually get paid.

I figure you would need a couple of hits under your belt before you see any real cash.

The script/hit song ideas stink.

The reason sports betting and horse punting will work is because you know the market exists and it is a guaranteed way to get cash fast.

If you could recall some specific financial market info that could work - but I don't know who could do that. The sports & racing stuff is easy for anyone who had an interest at the time. There are things you just know.

No other horse punters from that time? Getting a few 12/1 shots up etc will build that bankroll really fast. The sports stuff I can recall off the top of my head all involve favourites - so I will double up there, but horse racing provides the odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

ughh I'm gonna stop. Its like dealing with idiots.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:19 PM

Well, now it's like not dealing with idiots.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:20 PM

Step 1. Legally change my name to "Nostradamus."

Step 2. Predict Hurricane Andrew, Ruby Ridge, and the election of Bill Clinton, or any other events of importance I happen to remember.

Step 3. Get a syndicated newspaper column, television show, radio show, etc. Destroy Oprah Winfrey by predicting her arrest, at an unspecified time in the not-too-distant future, of strangling Stedman and two of her dogs during a drug-induced psychotic episode. (Optional? No. Not really.)

Step 4. Profit.

(Note that I will not tell anyone that I am "from the future and know what's going to happen." I'm only telling them that I know what's going to happen.)
Old 09-11-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you remember what happened in week five of the NFL that well to make a few bets? Maybe you remember how your favorite team did...put it all on that and do the same the next week - assuming you remember who won, of course...

[/ QUOTE ]You may not know what happened in week 5. But surely you remember who won the Super Bowl that year. Plus, there's always big boxing matches. (e.g., make the date 1990 instead of 1992, then you put all of it on Buster Douglas.)

Plus the whole premise of not studying is odd. If you're smart enough to build a time machine, aren't you smart enough to print a few pages from the Internet before you jump in the time machine?

How about this: rob a bank on the day you leave, then jump into the time machine back to the present. They'll never catch you because you don't exist in their reality. (Or would a 15 year younger version of you be arrested?)
Old 09-11-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, now it's like not dealing with idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

"You take nothing with you but your memory of what happens between August, 1992 and today."

if your a carpenter your obv not going to go the hollywood/script route. The best route for anyone with some sports knowledge is to go the moneyline route.

but if you've spent the last 10 years going to film school, writing scripts and working in the film industry...you'll sell a script(s) with the knowledge of hundreds of hit movies in your head that have yet to be made.

And people don't just go around stealing your screenplays.
Its doesn't need to be made to get paid 100,000+ for your work.