Old 02-01-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Re: The Photography Thread

Great stuff so far-

I'm a macro guy - here's some from this past spring-

Old 02-01-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've posted most of the pictures I've taken that I was happy with in other threads.

What's the first assignment? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cables and spiderwebs. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sand dunes and sunsets. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2007, 08:49 PM

now I'll toss some of my images into the ring.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:53 PM

and some more...bonus points if anyone can name the locations of any of the pics (no fair peeking at the url).

the first two are the place where i was married [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since there seems to be a genuine interest in photography I figure I'll extend the offer of feilding any questions you guys might have. Photography was my study in school as well as my current profession. I'm well versed in anything digital or technical as well as color and printing and can answer almost anything you'd want to know. I don't want to hijack this thread but if there is enough interest I will be more than happy to start an "ask me" thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

where did you go to school and what kind of work are you doing now? i'm a photography student at the school of visual arts in NYC.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:24 PM

Has anyone had any luck with getting odd-sized prints done for a reasonable amount of money?

This is a 6 or 7 image panorama I took at Crater Lake last year, which I stitched together (yes, I know there are some ugly spots).

I was hoping to get a test print at Costco, figuring if it looked awful, I was out $10, but after I uploaded the image, it appears that even at poster size, they just take a proportional 4x6 chunk out of the middle and blow it up to 20x30.

The original image is about 4x15, so I wouldn't mind if they would print the picture at 8x30 with a bunch of blank space, and I could just cut it and frame it myself.

The custom print places I've seen online are in the $30-$50 range for something this size...anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-10-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone had any luck with getting odd-sized prints done for a reasonable amount of money?

This is a 6 or 7 image panorama I took at Crater Lake last year, which I stitched together (yes, I know there are some ugly spots).

I was hoping to get a test print at Costco, figuring if it looked awful, I was out $10, but after I uploaded the image, it appears that even at poster size, they just take a proportional 4x6 chunk out of the middle and blow it up to 20x30.

The original image is about 4x15, so I wouldn't mind if they would print the picture at 8x30 with a bunch of blank space, and I could just cut it and frame it myself.

The custom print places I've seen online are in the $30-$50 range for something this size...anyone have any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

start with kinkos, then try local non-national-chain phototography stores, then other local print shops.

You'll probably be able to find a photo shop that can do the printing, but if it was me I'd just do direct to one of the decent photo printing labs

A few submissions from me

one of my first few shots with a hand-me-down macro... which i can't find anymore

shot with light from a sayulita sunset

One of the few older B&W prints i still have lying around. i'm not sure what happened to the rest
this was shot on ilford delta 100, IIRC

Another old B&W print, which was in a pretty sorry state when I foudn it this morning... thank god for the spot healing brush...

I don't remember if this was on delta 100 or ilford's crap low-contrast 400 stuff they were giving away for free. Pretty sure it was 15 or 30 seconds @ f/11

Freeway park in seattle
Old 02-10-2007, 04:10 PM

a couple from japan.

heavily edited:
Old 02-10-2007, 06:34 PM

I really liked the idea of having a biweekly/monthly "Photo Mission" thread, as was mentioned earlier in this thread. Is anyone else interested in participating? Kind of not worth it if we've only got a couple people, so I'm hoping there will be lots!
Old 02-10-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really liked the idea of having a biweekly/monthly "Photo Mission" thread, as was mentioned earlier in this thread. Is anyone else interested in participating? Kind of not worth it if we've only got a couple people, so I'm hoping there will be lots!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in. Is it going to be like a take a certain number of pictures on a given day? or try to capture a specific type of subject? what's the plan? I need some motivation to get out and shoot more, especially in the overcast seattle winter...