Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 08:19 PM

Default Re: which poker pro is the most educated ?

[ QUOTE ]

But the toughest part is the math. So, I think a doctorate in EE, ME, ChemE, (don't know about CE,SE,PE,etc.), math, stat, CS, hard science trumps most else (maybe not MD) because you can't hide from the math -- either you figure it out, or you flunk out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Math can be tough, but by your sophomore year, it's behind you. I know people that got PhDs in engineering that didn't have to take any more math. I think the advanced engineering degrees require a lot of work in your effort of your specialty, but the most challenging stuff was in undergrad, especially since you don't have a choice to avoid the stuff you don't like. After that, you're spending a lot of time on the parts that you really enjoyed and were good at (which is different than saying it's easy).
Old 08-27-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i know there was an earlier duke v. yale thread, but which college nowadays pumps out the best poker supahstars?

[/ QUOTE ]

Warwick (UK) and it's not close.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I have an engineering degree and an MBA, both from top programs. Less than 5% of the MBAs I went to school with were capable of surviving an engineering curriculum, mainly due to lack of math ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, even a bachelors in engineering at a good school is very tough.

But the toughest part is the math. So, I think a doctorate in EE, ME, ChemE, (don't know about CE,SE,PE,etc.), math, stat, CS, hard science trumps most else (maybe not MD) because you can't hide from the math -- either you figure it out, or you flunk out.

I'm surprised we're not coming up with more PhDs in those areas who kill poker. I guess they make way more $ doing something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people who do PhD's in those types of fields are not money driven at all. Most are also pretty risk averse, as well, which means that poker is pretty low on most of these people's priority lists. Trust me.

Dr Sucker, PhD (Physical Chemistry)
Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
binger is one of my best friends and barely knows how to get in out of the rain. he did somehow manage to score a phd in theoretical physics from stanford, can't remember what his specialty was but pretty sure it was string theory related.

good story, he almost lost a ton of work he had done on his dissertation when his car got broken into, he paid some dude at the doorstep of a crackhouse who said he might know where his stuff was and the guy came back with all his papers.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a hilarious, yet unsurprising story about Mike. Mike's a good dude from the few times our paths crossed. I'm glad he finished his PhD at SLAC - it seemed like he was unsure whether to do it a few times. I'm also glad he's a multimillionare now.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:21 PM

Daniel Negreanu ldo
Old 08-27-2007, 09:46 PM

if you see him ask him to tell you the full story, it is really effing hilarious.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no name professionals who are highly educated.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this just broke my irony gauge.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
binger is one of my best friends and barely knows how to get in out of the rain. he did somehow manage to score a phd in theoretical physics from stanford, can't remember what his specialty was but pretty sure it was string theory related.

good story, he almost lost a ton of work he had done on his dissertation when his car got broken into, he paid some dude at the doorstep of a crackhouse who said he might know where his stuff was and the guy came back with all his papers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow this sounds like an interesting story.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I have an engineering degree and an MBA, both from top programs. Less than 5% of the MBAs I went to school with were capable of surviving an engineering curriculum, mainly due to lack of math ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, even a bachelors in engineering at a good school is very tough.

I'm surprised we're not coming up with more PhDs in those areas who kill poker. I guess they make way more $ doing something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a faulty generalization. In science and engineering, there are many phd students who go into experimental research. The additional amount of mathematical knowledge that these people need to know from their undergraduate education is pretty small.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is funny how people quantify things rather quickly, apparently without any solid basis.
I have a PhD and I don't think I can be considered more/less educated that a Medical doctor or an attorney. The skills needed are so different that comparing them is rather pointless. And that's not even counting the street smarts that make 100 times my salary just because they are more bussiness/life savvy than I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% with this. Comparing PhDs to MDs to DDSs and so forth is like comparing apples and oranges. I finished 3/5 of my PhD in Medical Microbiology before I downgraded to a MSc and went to medical school which I finished last year. The MD takes a much wider range of skills, but the PhD takes more brute force brain power. The most brilliant people I have met were in research, not in medicine. They are unfortunately socially retarded much of the time, but clearly geniuses.

I would estimate half of the PhD grads would struggle getting an MD and vice versa. They are just different skill sets.

If you want to quantify "most educated", you might have to take total years in post-secondary education or something.

I think someone who has done 2 or 3 different programs would have to take precendence over someone who has spent their entire academic life in one field. Any high IQ person can learn 95% of any field in 4 or 5 years, while it takes a lifetime to learn the other 5%. So someone who has done 4 years of high level education in several different fields would likely have the broadest knowledge base and skill set.

There is one student in my medical class who did an electrical eng degree, then a law degree, then a medical degree and is now looking to work on medical patents for a large company. There must be SOMEONE who explored so many areas before getting caught up in poker.