Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Nancy Pelosi Going to Syria

The only difference between Bush and Pelosi on Syria is that she wants direct talks with Syria whereas Bush prefers doing nothing while hoping for a pretext for subversion and violence.

Pelosi's position comes much closer to public and congressional preference, U.S. popular opinion and values and indeed the stated U.S. foreign policy of preferring negotiation and discussion to ignoring disputes, recently reiterated by both the Congress and Bush's own Iraq Study Group. The loose cannon is in the White House, not Congress.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:56 PM

Default Nancy Pelosi = Huge Out-of-Control Ego

[ QUOTE ]
As callous as it sounds there's a domestic political price to pay beyond the damage she's done to herself. Regardless of what the public thinks of Bush/Repubs on foreign matters, you certainly don't distinguish yourself with this kind of buffoonery (cue irrelevant Bush cracks).
The Dem prez hopefuls have to be none to pleased with the political advertising bonanza their opponents have been gifted. Anyone think Democrats are weak, misguided and just don't understand a dangerous world? They probably will after some Repub ad agencies get to work on this.
What an unnecessary and momentous blunder.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I look at this incident and the request for the superjet for a mere Speaker-of-the-House, it gives me reason to believe that Nancy Pelosi has a huge out-of-control ego. Which will be good for the Repubs. I suspect she will continue to overplay her hand and make an ass of herself. I thought it was very funny that the Israeli PM denied ever giving her a message to deliver to Syria on the behalf of Israel. Not only did she lie but it was a STUPID lie. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Nancy Pelosi Going to Syria

[ QUOTE ]
The one thing that I have learned from this mis-administration is that hypocrisy knows no bounds.
from Pennsylvania's Lancaster Intelligencer Journal LINK

[/ QUOTE ]
The President can appoint any special envoy he wants to. My beef is when congressmen try to conduct diplomacy without the executive branch's consent.

[ QUOTE ]
In 1997, Rep. Dennis Hastert (R-IL) led a delegation to Colombia at a time when U.S. officials were trying to attach human rights conditions to U.S. security assistance programs. Hastert specifically encouraged Colombian military officials to "bypass" President Clinton and "communicate directly with Congress." LINK

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm no fan of Hastert. I think the guy is a moron.
Assuming, this is true then Hastert overstepped his role of Speaker-of-the-House.

[ QUOTE ]
The wingnuts really need to get a grip on reality.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have been 100% consistent on this issue.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Nancy Pelosi = Huge Out-of-Control Ego

[ QUOTE ]
and the request for the superjet for a mere Speaker-of-the-House

[/ QUOTE ]
There was not a request for a "superjet". The Pentagon felt it would be safer for her to use a plane that did not require refueling.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Pentagon felt it would be safer for her to use a plane that did not require refueling.

[/ QUOTE ]
It was the Pentagon that resisted and denied her request.
The Pentagon did not want to lose one of their working planes and convert one of their existing jets for Pelosi's convenience. After the Pentagon rejected her request, Murtha made a veiled threat to the Pentagon that we control your money. Perhaps you remember the accusations that somehow Rumsfeld pulled the strings for the Pentagon to block her request. Quite pathetic on her part....

Pelosi made her request for the superjet via her 2nd in command in the house.
If an national emergency occurs she will be flown to to the underground bunkers outside DC. She will NOT be flown to California. Hastert's plane has plenty of range to accomplish this mission
Old 04-05-2007, 09:45 PM

The Sergeant at Arms, a nonpartisan position in the House, requested the plane, not Nancy Pelosi.

[ QUOTE ]
The Air Force transport plane decried by Republicans as an extravagance for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was requested by the House sergeant-at-arms as a matter of security, he said Thursday.

“I regret that an issue that is exclusively considered and decided in a security context has evolved into a political issue,” Bill Livingood said in a news release. He said because Pelosi lives in California he was compelled “to request an aircraft that is capable of making non-stop flights for security purposes, unless such an aircraft is unavailable. This will ensure communications capabilities and also enhance security.”

[/ QUOTE ]

And additionally, just so we can be clear the use of this plane, which is far from Demon Pelosi's personal jet at the taxpayer's dollar:

[ QUOTE ]
The guidelines provided by the Pentagon say Pelosi could be accompanied by family members, provided they pay the government coach fare. The plane could not be used for travel to political events. Members of Congress could accompany her on the plane if the travel is cleared by the House ethics committee.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17035721/
Old 04-05-2007, 09:51 PM

Even the White House via Tony Snow says Felix is a liar.
[ QUOTE ]
Criticism of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's request for a military jet to transport her and her staff between Washington and California "is a silly story and I think it's been unfair to the speaker," White House spokesman Tony Snow said Thursday.

"After September 11th, the Department of Defense -- with the consent of the White House -- agreed that the Speaker of the House should have military transport," Snow said.

"What is going on is that the Department of Defense is going through its rules and regulations and having conversations with the Speaker about it. So Speaker Hastert had access to military aircraft and Speaker Pelosi will, too," he said.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-05-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Where is the Beef?

[ QUOTE ]
Even the White House via Tony Snow says Felix is a liar.
[ QUOTE ]
Criticism of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's request for a military jet to transport her and her staff between Washington and California "is a silly story and I think it's been unfair to the speaker," White House spokesman Tony Snow said Thursday.

"After September 11th, the Department of Defense -- with the consent of the White House -- agreed that the Speaker of the House should have military transport," Snow said.

"What is going on is that the Department of Defense is going through its rules and regulations and having conversations with the Speaker about it. So Speaker Hastert had access to military aircraft and Speaker Pelosi will, too," he said.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Liar huh..... Hastert was given a plane after 911. Just as Tony Snow said. Pelosi was given access to the SAME plane Hastert had. Tony Snow confirm this....

Tony Snow carries the water for Bush and Bush made the decision not to crucify the speaker politically. Dumb move on Bush's part. I could never be a white house spokesman because you have to spin everything to your master's bidding(Bush). When Tony Snow had his talk radio show in the evenings, he would have had a lot of fun making fun of Nancy Pelosi bid to get a souped-up jet... Pelosi made an ass of her self trying to get this jet...
Old 04-05-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Where is the Beef?

[ QUOTE ]
Pelosi made an ass of her self trying to get this jet...

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, did you read what I posted above? If you follow the link, Pelosi said she'd fly commercial if that was necessary to get her home without stopping. She DID NOT request this jet. It was suggested to her by the Sergeant at arms as a security feature.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Sergeant at Arms, a nonpartisan position in the House, requested the plane, not Nancy Pelosi.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow.....where to start.
1st, the Sergeant at Arms(SA) is a VERY partisan position.
When the Repubs control the house the SA is a Repub. When the Dems control the house, the SA is a Dem.
2nd, only the most politically naive believe that Pelsosi had nothing to do with requesting that jet. She sent the SA to get it for her. Her play was 100% transparent... After the fact she tried to play dumb about the whole affair... 'Gee Whiz.... I had no idea he was trying to get me a coast-to-coast jet. It was a complete surprise. Perhaps he wanted to get me that jet as an early birthday present.' [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Closed Thread