8k-15k 12 15.79%
15k-25k 6 7.89%
25k-50k 2 2.63%
50k+ (Please explain) 1 1.32%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Famous classical violinist plays in subway station - No one notice

[ QUOTE ]
I can agree with you AL that she seems like a tool..but that doesn't mean that her view is the authors or the article's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah I agree with that, and as mentioned above think the article is worth a read.

-Al
Old 04-10-2007, 07:34 PM

Hmm, FWIW I just listened to the audio of the Chaconne and wasn't all that blown away myself. It was kind of a limp interpretation IMHO. Better is Henryk Szeryng's:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oZ0K00aEqhE
Old 04-10-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think any currently living classical musician can be considered "famous" outside of classical music circle.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not picking on you, just curious about OOT's knowledge here:

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because I've heard the name Yo Yo Ma and actually have some of his recordings doesn't mean I'd recognize him if I saw him in the subway.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if he had a cello and was playing classical music, regardless of the venue?

I think people are getting way too hung up on the "classical music/individual tastes" slant rather than the actual outcome/meaning of the experiment.

There seems to be some real backlash/hatred for stuff like classical music in OOT, mainly because it is perceived to be high-brow and reeks of elitism. Understood, but I think focusing too much on this aspect bogs down any discussion.

DN
Old 04-10-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[
There seems to be some real backlash/hatred for stuff like classical music in OOT, mainly because it is perceived to be high-brow and reeks of elitism. Understood, but I think focusing too much on this aspect bogs down any discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. First off, OOT loves high-brow elitism - all kinds of indie hipster types here. Secondly, it's not that classical music is inherently high-brow or elitist, it's just that its audience loves to trumpet its importance and significance in a pompous manner.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. First off, OOT loves high-brow elitism - all kinds of indie hipster types here. Secondly, it's not that classical music is inherently high-brow or elitist, it's just that its audience loves to trumpet its importance and significance in a pompous manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the key thing to note is a guy playing a sax or guitar poorly is very very different from a guy playing a violen poorly.

one sounds kind of bad but tolderable..the other makes u want to stab your eardrums out
Old 04-10-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's true (and sorry if I'm derailing DN) but it is, to me, very much a badge of elitism, especially when it comes from an American.

If you grew up in Austria, or just Europe (or if you are an Asian-American like me and forced to take classical music lessons growing up)... you are going to have much more exposure to classical music than your average American for very obvious reasons. And I'd get that you'd be surprised if someone hadn't heard of a world-class classical musician.

-Al
Old 04-10-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I find the indie hipsters to be just as insufferable, if not more.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:14 PM

What did I ever do to you, sunshine?
Old 04-10-2007, 08:51 PM

Badly Drawn Boy did a similar experiment and earned even less IIRC
Old 04-11-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats a really long article to make the point that people usually ignore bums and beggars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignored bums make 50 bucks an hour?