Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 08:45 PM

Default Re: Lets debunk some urban legends

can someone clarify if eating too much salt causes high blood pressure?
Old 04-29-2007, 09:01 PM

cops need 30 seconds to trace a call.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was taught in high school that the Bernoulli principle makes plane flies. That's false.

The Bernoulli principle is negligible for planes. Planes fly because the wings are angled slightly upward, so air coming from the front bounces downwards, pushing the plane up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really?! I thought it was Bernoulli. That's why the wing is shaped like that, with the round on the top and the flat on the bottem. Google brings up a crapload of sites talking aobut Bernoulli & airplanes. Any reference to verify that it's just angle and not bernoulli?

edit: O snap! You callin' the wiki a liar?!

[/ QUOTE ]

I learned it from my physics prof who spent a little class time running the numbers.

It's possible that there's a series of wrong answers that people give that get closer and closer to a very complicated correct answer, and my prof's answer could be just a more accurate wrong answer than the one they teach you in high school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your professor was wrong.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was taught in high school that the Bernoulli principle makes plane flies. That's false.

The Bernoulli principle is negligible for planes. Planes fly because the wings are angled slightly upward, so air coming from the front bounces downwards, pushing the plane up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really?! I thought it was Bernoulli. That's why the wing is shaped like that, with the round on the top and the flat on the bottem. Google brings up a crapload of sites talking aobut Bernoulli & airplanes. Any reference to verify that it's just angle and not bernoulli?

[/ QUOTE ]

I learned it from my physics prof who spent a little class time running the numbers.

It's possible that there's a series of wrong answers that people give that get closer and closer to a very complicated correct answer, and my prof's answer could be just a more accurate wrong answer than the one they teach you in high school.

[/ QUOTE ]
There's gotta be somebody around here who knows the real answer. I think our question boils down to "Which is more important for lift: the angle of the wing for pushing air down, or the curvature wing for bernoulli?"

Is there a Doctor (in aerospace engineering) in the house?

[/ QUOTE ]

We need to get Patrick Del Poker Grande over from OOT, I'm pretty sure he's an aeronautical engineer. I'm basically positive that the angle of the wing very little impact and that the lift is entirely generated from the higher-velocity air on top of the wing having a lower density.

This thread is doing a terrible job of debunking urban legends since there seems to basically be alot of arguing over completely opposing viewpoints going on.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
There's gotta be somebody around here who knows the real answer. I think our question boils down to "Which is more important for lift: the angle of the wing for pushing air down, or the curvature wing for bernoulli?"

Is there a Doctor (in aerospace engineering) in the house?

[/ QUOTE ]

We need to get Patrick Del Poker Grande over from OOT, I'm pretty sure he's an aeronautical engineer. I'm basically positive that the angle of the wing very little impact and that the lift is entirely generated from the higher-velocity air on top of the wing having a lower density.

This thread is doing a terrible job of debunking urban legends since there seems to basically be alot of arguing over completely opposing viewpoints going on.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I didn't want to get my doctorate, but I did get my master's in aerospace engineering. My specialty is the structures and not the aerodynamics, but I can at least vouch for Mr. Bernoulli's principle on this one. Maybe you can find a PhD who did his thesis on something in aerodynamics, but for now you'll have to live with me.

It is the Bernoulli effect that makes an aerofoil produce lift. While angling any planar surface up produces a reaction in the upward direction (in this case - or when you stick your hand out the window of a car), there's also a ton of drag force. I suppose you could brute force your way through it with some hugely powerful engine, but it's by far not the way to go.

In fact, this is what is happening when a plane stalls. When you increase the angle of attack, you do generate a lot more lift, but at the expense of a ton more drag. When you reach an angle of attack that's too large, you won't be able to sustain your airspeed and then there's not enough lift generated and you'll start falling. The engine just won't be strong enough to "brute force" your way through it.

It turns out this is what you're trying to do when you're landing and is why pilots flare the plane up on the landing approach. You get a high angle of attack for big lift, while at the same time getting an airbrake effect, slowing the plane down as much as possible. A perfect landing is when you're right about to stall just as you're touching down.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:20 PM

I've heard many times that you can kill a person with a open palm strike to the nose. This is a myth. The nose cartiledge is not strong enough to penetrate the skull. However, a person can die from severe blunt head truama.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fcc regulation not an faa one. cell towers can tell where your phone is and can bill you from a low place like the ground. when in the air they are hit with multiple pings from your phone at many towers. it costs them air usage so they dont want it. they got the fcc to ban phones in all planes even private ones.

as for the airlines when flying in instrument contdions they dont want to take a chance on their navigation equipement getting corrupted in any way even if its a small chance. most likely some other device would do it rather than a cell phone.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL nh
Old 04-30-2007, 03:38 AM

So everyone already knew that water going down a drain has nothing to do with what hemisphere you're in?

I guess I'm the only one who was completely stunned.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:47 AM

Qantas are trialling allowing cell phones to be used on Aussie domestic flights.

The catch? You must have global roaming enabled - calls will be billed at international rates - meaning whatever Qantas choose to bill you at.

Initially this may only be available for SMS/MMS & data usage - presumably to stop passengers belting the [censored] out of some loudmouth who wont get off the phone.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard many times that you can kill a person with a open palm strike to the nose. This is a myth. The nose cartiledge is not strong enough to penetrate the skull. However, a person can die from severe blunt head truama.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong, Bruce Willis did this in the Last Boy Scout I believe.