Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2006, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Forum Project Step 1 - Niche Pickin\'

Penguin,

We NEED to avoid people using the same hosts as much as possible. You get penalized in search rankings for having lots of links from the same IP.

Cheers,

JoshK
Old 11-01-2006, 11:31 AM

Ok I'd like to open a site on small cap value stocks. I could do a write up once a week on a company I think is trading at a discount to it's intrinsic value. Any good?

For web hosting is register.com any good?
Old 11-01-2006, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Penguin,

We NEED to avoid people using the same hosts as much as possible. You get penalized in search rankings for having lots of links from the same IP.

Cheers,

JoshK

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this really worth considering when compared to the time/cost savings of investing in hosting as a group. On any of the basic hosting packages out there you could easily have a dozen or more sites reducing the cost dramatically.

If you have some links to reports on the effect of same IP links on search engine results I'd be really interested to see them.

Cheers!
Old 11-01-2006, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I'd like to open a site on small cap value stocks. I could do a write up once a week on a company I think is trading at a discount to it's intrinsic value. Any good?

For web hosting is register.com any good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know if there are SEC restrictions on offering advice on traded securities? I have a background in publicly traded Real Estate companies and could probably design a site around investing in REIT's but I'm wondering if you need to be licensed or otherwise qualified to do this.

Edit: It looks like there are a few investment advice sites out there that do not offer any professional qualifications or licensing. I am going to change my niche to REIT investing.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:19 PM

I am going to make a "make money in college" and keep it different from the other one of this topic that was posted.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:26 PM

I have an idea for a 'Buying a house' blog. I am in the process of buying my own house and therefore im trying to learn as much as I can about this, what to look out for, other costs, renovating, laws, budgeting, financials, buying as a form of investing, etc. It will mostly be geared towards those who are buying for the first time, but I guess others will be able to take something from it aswell.

The only problem I see with this is that I live in Norway and I guess there is very different prices and laws in other countries so I guess I have to be more general in my articles then. What is your take? A decent niche?
Old 11-01-2006, 02:29 PM

Just make your focus "buying a house in Norway." That seems like a good specific niche to me.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:01 PM

Since I have chosen the niche for my site (Investing in Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs)) I thought I would try to provide some of the ideas I came up with for you guys who are having some trouble picking a niche. Remember our niches are due tonight so we can move on to step 2 as a group.

1. Socially Responsible Investing - the broad category is very saturated but you might spend some time looking at specific keyword searches involving some subset of this. (Green building manufacturers, low emmissions manufaturers, etc..)

2. Home energy efficiency - another fairly saturated broad topic but one where you might find a smaller niche that works such as focusing solely on window insulation methods or energy star compliant appliances or something

3. Directory/review site of credit counseling services

4. How to start your own business doing/selling xyz

5. Making money through used book sales

6. Frugality/coupon clipping/bargain shopping

7. Best deals available in town/city xyz for product/service abc

8. Investing in real estate in town/city xyz

9. Specific real estate investment niche strategy how-to guide (Lease to own, fix & flip, foreclosures.) This might be pretty saturated already.

10. Investing in a specific stock sector. (Utilities, small caps, large caps, growth, value, etc...) Another largely saturated idea but it looks like there's enough room in REITs for me so there may be other underserved sectors.

11. Investing in non-traditional items such as art, collectables, antiques, etc... This one has a lot of promise if you have an obscure hobby you can monetize your knowledge of.

12. How-to guides targeted at small business. Could range from how to design an effective logo, pick a compelling business name, get more web traffic, create effective surveys, improve customer service, etc...

13. Directory/review site of trade schools or certification courses in a niche market.

14. Reviews/directory of software applications or other services/products specific to a niche industry. (Virtual tour software, medical testing equipment, software specific to the landscape architechture industry or restaurant industry, etc...)

Remember, the key to eventually making money from our sites will be to first create some good content that targets a specific web consumer. You will be providing information they want, collected all in one place and providing value. Once you are driving traffic to the site you will monetize by either adding advertisements to generate per-click revenue or by selling related items through affiliate programs. (Or by directly purchasing related items at wholesale and selling retail directly through your own store in some cases)
Old 11-01-2006, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this really worth considering when compared to the time/cost savings of investing in hosting as a group. On any of the basic hosting packages out there you could easily have a dozen or more sites reducing the cost dramatically.

If you have some links to reports on the effect of same IP links on search engine results I'd be really interested to see them.

Cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't even have to click any links, just read the descriptions of the top 10 search results.

Google Results
Old 11-01-2006, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't even have to click any links, just read the descriptions of the top 10 search results.

Google Results

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting ... learn something new everyday. Cheers!