Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Re: How do Americans view Europeans?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I generally like Europeans. They seem to "get it" about the important stuff, like family and vacations and work/life balance. It's tough to generalize because of all the different countries but that's my overall sense.

I understand that you may be interested in the thoughts of Americans on this matter but I don't think you're going to get much out of it. Most Americans think about very little beyond food and tv. Plus, Americans are all so different. I'm a northern liberal. I like hockey and Democrats, I live in an urban apartment, shop at a natural foods co-op and so forth. I drive a German car. I have way, way more in common with your average European (at least, in the Western European countries) than I do with a huge numbers of Americans (maybe even most). For instance, people in the South. I have nothing in common with them. Nothing. Their accents are ridiculous, they're politically retarted and their insanely consumeristic and narrow minded.

I guess the thing I like best about Europeans is that they don't have huge political blocs in their country that are trying to roll them back to the 19th century.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is (hopefully), one of the best satirical posts on the internets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

That post crushed it. When i hear about bible belt, god fearing, ignorant, highly conservative Americans i just can't believe they get a vote in my country.

Nothern/liberal America vs Southern/conservative America is likely as different as any two European countries. I like learning about new cultures and seeing new countries, a lot of these people might never leave the country their whole life.

Unfortunately our geography tends to force a cultural ignorance upon us. Canada above us is a very similar country, and Mexico below us is only visited when people want to get drunk on a resort. Most others are an ocean away. I'm not saying that makes it OK for so many of us to be so clueless, but at least there's a reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, they are thinking teh same thing about you, and the people like me, who understand how retardedly fanatical, stupid, false, and somewhat sad, the whole red state/blue state thing is on both sides of teh coin think it about the whole lot of you.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I generally like Europeans. They seem to "get it" about the important stuff, like family and vacations and work/life balance. It's tough to generalize because of all the different countries but that's my overall sense.

I understand that you may be interested in the thoughts of Americans on this matter but I don't think you're going to get much out of it. Most Americans think about very little beyond food and tv. Plus, Americans are all so different. I'm a northern liberal. I like hockey and Democrats, I live in an urban apartment, shop at a natural foods co-op and so forth. I drive a German car. I have way, way more in common with your average European (at least, in the Western European countries) than I do with a huge numbers of Americans (maybe even most). For instance, people in the South. I have nothing in common with them. Nothing. Their accents are ridiculous, they're politically retarted and their insanely consumeristic and narrow minded.

I guess the thing I like best about Europeans is that they don't have huge political blocs in their country that are trying to roll them back to the 19th century.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is (hopefully), one of the best satirical posts on the internets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice. It is satirical. I wasn't sure anybody would get it.

The one thing I don't understand about this thread is all the people saying Americans feel politically superior to Europe. Really? I've never felt that way. Hell, everything we did was born out of Rousseau and the French Revolution.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The one thing I don't understand about this thread is all the people saying Americans feel politically superior to Europe.

[/ QUOTE ] Our educational system repeatedly hammers into us that our system is the greatest in the world, our system of checks and balances is without parallel, the founding fathers were the smartest men who ever lived and possessed huge amounts of foresight that propelled us into the position we now enjoy, etc.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The one thing I don't understand about this thread is all the people saying Americans feel politically superior to Europe.

[/ QUOTE ] Our educational system repeatedly hammers into us that our system is the greatest in the world, our system of checks and balances is without parallel, the founding fathers were the smartest men who ever lived and possessed huge amounts of foresight that propelled us into the position we now enjoy, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Given that, I still can't really ever remember feeling superior to Europe. Other places sure, but I remember growing up thinking that Europeans were a lot like us.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:00 PM

Every American wakes up and kills an Indian before breakfast.

Every European wakes up and discovers they've been conquered by Germany before breakfast.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm From Europe, and I curious how Americans view 'us European' guys.
Do you feel yourself better than us?More modern/less advanced?Europe wealthyer/more poor?Would you ever go to Europe on a holiday?You have different opinions on each country, or do you view us all alike?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am actually pretty liberal, but I kind of get sick of the constant "holier than thou" attitude that Euros exhibit towards Americans. My favorite was some Londoner that made a random crack about Americans in an online poker chatbox and I called him on it. His response: "At least we dont go around bombing countries for no reason." Umm, excuse me? Really?

I have always been against the war, but we get treated as if we all supported it and are all Bush lovers when in reality he barely won 2 elections. I wish Euros would quit acting like their [censored] dont stink.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am actually pretty liberal, but I kind of get sick of the constant "holier than thou" attitude that Euros exhibit towards Americans. My favorite was some Londoner that made a random crack about Americans in an online poker chatbox and I called him on it. His response: "At least we dont go around bombing countries for no reason." Umm, excuse me? Really?

I have always been against the war, but we get treated as if we all supported it and are all Bush lovers when in reality he barely won 2 elections. I wish Euros would quit acting like their [censored] dont stink.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true and I hate the loser liberal Euros who make cracks like this. However, if you were to ask a bunch of Europeans what they disliked most about Americans, I can pretty much garuantee 'Thinks they are better than the rest of the World' and '[censored] don't stink' type comments would be pretty close to the top of the list.

This stuff definitely works both ways and we are pretty much all as bad as each other tbh.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:59 PM

Most Americans think of Brits much differently than the rest of Europe, imo. Because of the common language, but also because of the cultural, political, and military connections. And Emma Watson. I think the average American has a much warmer view of a rando Englishman than of his French or Norwegian analogue.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most Americans think of Brits much differently than the rest of Europe, imo. Because of the common language, but also because of the cultural, political, and military connections. And Emma Watson. I think the average American has a much warmer view of a rando Englishman than of his French or Norwegian analogue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf? Are we being compared to the French now? Thats uncalled for [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Of all the dumb assumptions he could make about you just because you are an American, to assume you did not vote against G.W. Bush can hardly be the worst. He was actually likely to be right.

And part of why you should treat other countries well, is that if people dislike you for your foreign policies they're going to take it out on all Americans, not just the ones who admit to have supported the current president. It's the game-theorietically sensible thing to do.