Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2006, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Let\'s Read

I think the intelligent investor might be a good start (partly because amazon has already delivered it to me.) But I think another good option, on more thought, would be a personal finance book.

Perhaps starting a duel reading between these two books at the same time would be a good route. This would allow people that currently arent investing a good opening. They could use the pesonal finance book to hopefully streamline their financial situation which would free up some cash to start investing. The intelligent investor would then allow them/me to begin to understand some of the fundamentals of investing (and perhaps practice some investing ideas on paper) while establishing an investing bankroll through the streamlineing of personal investing.

This reading of two books at once may mean the reading will have to be a bit slower, but this may allow for more detailed discussion and overall provide a better value for amatuers/me.

Obviously, those that only wanted to participate in one or the other would be fine as well.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:12 PM

My original thought was that by reading "in order" we would be able to enhance the overall knowledge level of the forum and bring a consistant base of theory to the discussions here.

Since the consensus seems to be at the moment, that this isn't all that important, and to move this forward, I am content to jump around thru the topics as people step forward to lead the book reading discussions.

DesertCat had expressed an interest in leading the discussion on The Intelligent Investor, but hasn't confirmed that he's ready to start. If Buffett wants to kick it off, that would certainly be great too.... Cat?... Buf?
Old 04-14-2006, 10:24 AM

I WAS ready, then I started reading "Market Wizards" which is a lot more readable. I guess I'll go back to the Intelligent Investor tomorrow :]
Old 04-17-2006, 02:18 PM

Link to 1st Book thread: The Intelligent Investor
Old 04-17-2006, 02:19 PM

If anyone has additional thoughts on other books we might read together in any of the categories, please post them.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:20 PM

Applying to both topics 3 and 4: using Robert Haugen's "The Inefficient Stock Market" as the basis of a discussion of the use of regression techniques for investment selection.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:52 AM

ok, now that Cat has started this up, I am interested in opinions on whether we should read one book at a time, or can we read 2-3 books at the same time?

In theory we'll cover roughly 2 chapters per week in any book read, to allow sufficient time for discussion.

Basically, should we do the book readings in series, or in parallel?

Thoughts?
Old 04-24-2006, 10:30 AM

series
Old 04-24-2006, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
series

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-24-2006, 02:25 PM

It might be interesting to read something in parallel that offers a different viewpoint. If II is the classic value investing text, I'd be interested in reading a classic growth investing text and discussing the two side by side. Similarily, as we move on to different topics it would be great to read books in parallel that give a balanced perspective.