Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How many Business & Finance magazines do you subscribe to?
1 10 71.43%
2 1 7.14%
3 2 14.29%
more than 3 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Re: cocaine addiction AND non-addiction: real stories/facts

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cocaine is not addictive at least physically.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, and is a far safer drug than my over the counter meds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guids,

I'm fairly certain that once you've advanced to the point of shooting it up (and probably smoking it for that matter), it's got its claws in you pretty deep. I doubt the group of people wet work was referring to that were slamming cocaine weren't fully functioning members of society, or even close.

This is a slight tangent because the substance was meth, but it refers to the slippery slope of addiction. There was a Newsweek story a couple/three years ago about meth getting hold of towns. In one example, a guy was hanging out with his friends and had a long drive home, so they gave him a line of meth to "help keep him awake". According to the story, he then started using a couple of times/week. Within a few months they were smoking it, and not long after he was shooting it up. He was married with kids. His wife finally put the pieces together and tried to kick him out, but in a rage he beat the [censored] out of her and ended up in jail for a long time.

I realize it's meth and that the story is probably an outlier, but it reminds me that things like that and wet work's story above do happen, and I'm not sure I want to tempt fate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea those people I metioned were the worst I'd come across. Definitely not functioning members of society. There definitely seem to be poeple who can keep it a once in a while thing though. I wasted a lot of years but I've been clean for a long time now. Looking back it almost seems like a bad dream. Being clean is the only way for me.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I had a severe coke addiction that lasted about two years.

[/ QUOTE ]

can you describe your usage and lifestyle at the time before and leading up to your addiction? would be very helpful!

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't want to go into too much detail because I don't like giving too much personal info out on the internet.

The first time I did it, a coworker came over to my apartment on X-mas day before we had to go to work. Brought some blow and assured me I wouldn't get addicted(he later ended up in rehab). I enjoyed it, definitely put me in a better mood considering I was pretty down about having to work that day.

A couple of weeks later, a friend tells me he knows where to get larger amounts of coke in a nearby city so we go and I buy some, started dealing to friends and partying pretty regularly. Having it available all the time was definitely the reason I became addicted. It was 9 months down the line before I started taking it to work.

The whole thing was dumb and I was weak. I'm just thankful I got through that phase without getting busted. My biggest regret was introducing it to a friend and watching him get addicted and royally screw up his life.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:05 PM

Old 02-27-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
assuming average levels of susceptibility to addi(c)tion

[/ QUOTE ]

first off - i don't know what this means. an average level of predisposition to addiction, means no predisposition to addiction.

also, the people in the thread who say things like "it makes you feel this" or "it makes people do this" etc don't know much about drugs. most drugs have wildly varying effects. for example, when i do coke - probably 3 times in the last 5 years, but when i was younger, much more - all i wanted to do was sit in the corner and feel it. i didn't feel invincible, or focused or energetic - i just felt subtly fd up.

also, the real question you are heading towards is how likely is it that someone who is not predisposed to addiction can wind up an addict. the answer is a very small percentage. i base this only on the hundreds or thousands of people i know releatively well who have used drugs and/or drank and/or gambled and/or smoked and/or spent vast sums of money and/or fill in pleasurable activity.

i have maybe known one person who "became" an addict. the others were already addicts - even before they first drank or did drugs or whatever. this is of say 400 people i know who have tried to get sober from one thing or another. so 399 of them were addicts already and only one of them became an addict.

perhaps not scientific - but enough for me. i would say that if you aren't an addict, then you will rarely get addicted.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:33 PM

Coke is not addticive at all Ive done it ony 50-70 times in ym life, and I can qui at anytimew.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:35 PM

This thread is worthless without PJN.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Coke is not addticive at all Ive done it ony 50-70 times today , and I can qui at anytimew.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-27-2007, 07:49 PM

Had a roommate in college. We were all addicted to drugs in general, marijuana in particular. However, whenever we got cocaine, this guy would just wig out. He'd pinch from a "group" stash, he'd think about it constantly, and when the supply ran out, he'd be licking the bag and fiending for more. Many of these traits were NEVER displayed with any other drug. That is, for him to punch from a group stash of weed would be unthinkable. He'd fiend for weed when out, but not to the same degree. That said, it would be a once every 6-8 months thing. Once the bag ran out, we'd likely not buy more mainly because of how much it meant to him. I wonder, though, if it weren't cost prohibitive to a college student if his use of cocaine would have been more problematic.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:54 PM

Yeah, I hate how even though I do coke very rarely, like once or twice a year, I immediately become this Golem-like obsessive trying to get hold of as much of my friend's coke as I can. Dabbing the plate clean when no-one's looking, trying to get an extra line, etc. All of a sudden I stop giving a [censored] about my friends and am just interested in their coke, and how I can keep the supply coming.

Yeah I could buy my own, but I don't want to go there. So last couple of times we had a party, which started out as usual with E before moving onto coke much later on, I told my two friends who're always handing out the drugs (for free, close circle and this just seems to have been the way it's developed) not to give me any coke. I felt glad of it, too, even though I was feeling flat as the E wore off just as they were doing line after line.

[ QUOTE ]
Had a roommate in college. We were all addicted to drugs in general, marijuana in particular. However, whenever we got cocaine, this guy would just wig out. He'd pinch from a "group" stash, he'd think about it constantly, and when the supply ran out, he'd be licking the bag and fiending for more. Many of these traits were NEVER displayed with any other drug. That is, for him to punch from a group stash of weed would be unthinkable. He'd fiend for weed when out, but not to the same degree. That said, it would be a once every 6-8 months thing. Once the bag ran out, we'd likely not buy more mainly because of how much it meant to him. I wonder, though, if it weren't cost prohibitive to a college student if his use of cocaine would have been more problematic.

[/ QUOTE ]