Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2006, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Would you save 10 million people?

What do you gain from killing yourself to save 10 million people?
Old 09-17-2006, 06:46 PM

I have no idea.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you want to know?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's it to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

What does it matter if we're all going to die in the end anyways?

OMG NOTHING MATTERS!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 09-17-2006, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the key point for me is that future life is not really affected. i mean, if say 6 billion people were killed, that would cause a serious disruption to the world. also the chances that someone i know will be killed are fairly good at that point. therefore i would sacrifice myself to spare some very high number of people. however 10 million or even 100 million is barely a blip on the screen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you would never be affected in the minutest possible way, a [censored] load of other people would be. Do you not care about anyone other than yourself? Imagine all the grief you would be causing to the people who knew the 10 million. And assume that on average each person had 30 years left to live, you are taking away 300 million years of human life so that you can live what, another 50? It doesn't seem like a hard decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

me being affected is THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE HERE. how could it not be? it's not about being selfish. of course i care about people i know, but honestly it's hard to care about people you don't "know" or can't "see".

for instance would you sacrifice yourself to save 100 trillion alien lives, all of which live more than one million light years from earth?
Old 09-17-2006, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the key point for me is that future life is not really affected. i mean, if say 6 billion people were killed, that would cause a serious disruption to the world. also the chances that someone i know will be killed are fairly good at that point. therefore i would sacrifice myself to spare some very high number of people. however 10 million or even 100 million is barely a blip on the screen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you would never be affected in the minutest possible way, a [censored] load of other people would be. Do you not care about anyone other than yourself? Imagine all the grief you would be causing to the people who knew the 10 million. And assume that on average each person had 30 years left to live, you are taking away 300 million years of human life so that you can live what, another 50? It doesn't seem like a hard decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

how do those 300 million years of live have any value to you once you're dead?
Old 09-17-2006, 06:53 PM

to the people answering yes: would your answer change based on the method of execution? Would a more painful death make you say no like having your head cut off slowly while you were alive?
Old 09-17-2006, 06:57 PM

I think a lot of people saying they would save the 10 million, would be hard pressed to pull the trigger, make the jump, give yourself to medical science when the [censored] does hit the fan. I would imagine that killing yourself is a very hard thing to do (mentally speaking).
Old 09-17-2006, 07:01 PM

yes it's easy to be heroic and condescending when you only have to type out your answer to an unrealistic question.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

me being affected is THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE HERE. how could it not be? it's not about being selfish. of course i care about people i know, but honestly it's hard to care about people you don't "know" or can't "see".

for instance would you sacrifice yourself to save 100 trillion alien lives, all of which live more than one million light years from earth?

[/ QUOTE ]

"of course i care about people i know, but honestly it's hard to care about people you don't "know" or can't "see"."

Do you think it's silly to do things for people you don't know? Do you think there's no reason to give money to charity to try and help out less fortunate people? I bet you would have no objection giving $100 to a 3rd world family because that would do so much more for them than for you. This is how I feel about my life; sure I could use it but not as well as the 10 million combined could use theirs.

You say that you aren't being selfish yet say that you being affected is THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE. Even though you would care if someone you knew was affected I bet it's only because YOU would be negatively impacted by their death. You don't want mom to die, why? Because YOU would be sad. The only reason you would protest her death is because it hurts YOU. Just like the only reason you would protest the death of everyone else on the planet is that it would impact your life, whereas 10 million is just a blip on the radar. Is this right?

I don't know anything about the aliens. If they were similar to ants I would let them die, if they were similar to humans I would die. If there was proof of a planet remarkably similar to earth with 6 billion humans on it but on the other side of the galaxy, would you let them all die so that you could live?
Old 09-17-2006, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how do those 300 million years of live have any value to you once you're dead?

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazingly enough I don't base all my actions on what's in it for me.