Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 03:12 AM

Default Re: Greg Raymer Campaigning for Libertarian Party\'s Vice Presidential

I am a Libertarian, and assuming Greg goes along with most of it's platform I see no reason why I would not support him.

LETS DO THIS.

Down with the 2 party duopoly.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Re: What the Hell ? Let\'s put our money where our hearts are ....

Greg, the Democrats have actually really gotten the job done most of the time. Look at the rest of the world -- the European social service democracies are teetering on the brink of financial collapse, the emerging Asian superpowers still have a horrible standard of living for most citizens, the Arab world is mainly authoritarian regimes and very low standard of living. Here in the U.S. we have a pretty good blend of private rights and public good. the libertarian party line is nonsense. People simply must work together to make life better, and not just on defense issues. While our government isn't great, it's a whole lot better than what's out there, and frankly, a complacent millionaire lawyer poker players acting like it's totally useless and corrupt is so clueless it amazes me.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:51 AM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/po...Board=politics
Old 12-05-2006, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the Libertarian Party still off the ballot in NC? I remember gathering almost 1000 signatures in '04 and then being super pissed when they didn't get to stay on the ballot. That was the day I decided not to care about politics anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, cause if at first you don't succeed...um...quit. I mean what the hell, I have things to do with my life. Important, non-loser-y things like surfing the internet. If it doesn't work RIGHT NOW in high def full surround sound, what a waste of effin effort.

Ah the old homilies we learned at our parents knees are always the best.

--Zetack
Old 12-05-2006, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
European social service democracies are teetering on the brink of financial collapse

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you exxagerate a bit

[ QUOTE ]
Here in the U.S. we have a pretty good blend of private rights

[/ QUOTE ]

You really sure about that???
Old 12-05-2006, 01:38 PM

A patent lawyer.

The protection of private intellectual property is not inconsistent with a libertarian view of the proper role of government.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the European social service democracies are teetering on the brink of financial collapse

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiousity, what countries are you referring to?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although I do not agree with every plank of the official LP platform, I do agree with most of them, and their platform and philosophy are MUCH better than the blues or reds.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

[/ QUOTE ]

The last Libertarian Party standard bearer - Michael Badnarik - believes zip codes are illegal demarcations of federal territory, refuses to file federal income taxes, and cited "sky-diving instructor" as one of his current jobs in 2004. He wants to withdraw from the UN and bulldoze the building. His first act as president, if elected, would be to "announce a special one-week session of Congress where all 535 members would be required to sit through a special version of my Constitution class. Once I was convinced that every member of Congress understood my interpretation of their very limited powers, I would insist that they restate their oath of office while being videotaped."

Go Badnarik/Raymer 2008!
Old 12-05-2006, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Raise the issue? LOL.
Anyone who cares about poker is already aware of the issue."

When was the last time you saw this issue in the national media ? Are you relying on the PPA to carry your water ?

What have they done since the days before the election, what do they plan to do ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree with you re. PPA. However, my point was related to candidate Raymer and whether anyone cares about him outside of the poker world. I don't feel he can make people care by simply being a candidate for VP without having done his time in the trenches.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:06 PM

First let me be very clear that I'm not saying this country is perfect. But by comparison it's among the better places to live in the world. Among the Euros that I'd say are likely to have significant social upheaval in the next 20 years are Italy, Germany and France. All three have rapidly shifting demographics, problematic economies and huge funding gaps.