Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Zeitgeist part I - \"The Greatest Story Ever Told\" (Christianity,et

[ QUOTE ]
Mythology as Metaphor - Jonah and the Whale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtuinWQkTfY
18m

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you point out the Biblical passage that says "Jonah breaks into pieces" and then "comes back to life"?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Zeitgeist part I - \"The Greatest Story Ever Told\" (Christianity,et

[ QUOTE ]
Can you point out the Biblical passage that says "Jonah breaks into pieces" and then "comes back to life"?

[/ QUOTE ]

That variation is not in the bible but can be found in belly of the monster stories elsewhere. It's a popular myth.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That variation is not in the bible but can be found in belly of the monster stories elsewhere. It's a popular myth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reference?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reference?

[/ QUOTE ]

Joseph Campbell - The Power of Myth.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:03 AM

Eh, I almost started another thread for this, but it's probably better here. I've been thinking about the movie, have watched it twice now, and feel it is valuable in some way, EVEN if the historical accuracy of the facts is completely weak. It was kind of hard to articulate for me, but I settled with something like this:

Many religious doctrines are centered around a "son of god." The sun is something we can all relate to. It makes us happy and All humans presumably like the things it provides. It's a good metaphor for a "universally good" person, it works. Create an ideal dude, and call him the son of god. Turns out that dude probably leads a happy and "good" life, and people will naturally happen to dig him.

Then tell a good story. People learn about how this "ideal" person acts. Yeah, people like that may or may not exist in real life. Yeah, the inspiration from the story probably came from some actual real people.

So Z might be historically inaccurate. It's not a religion, though, it just claims to have the truth. I see people everyday try to claim the truth. Eh, Z's just food for thought, maybe just a good story. I think it hits a lot of good stuff and flows really well.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, I almost started another thread for this, but it's probably better here. I've been thinking about the movie, have watched it twice now, and feel it is valuable in some way, EVEN if the historical accuracy of the facts is completely weak. It was kind of hard to articulate for me, but I settled with something like this:

Many religious doctrines are centered around a "son of god." The sun is something we can all relate to. It makes us happy and All humans presumably like the things it provides. It's a good metaphor for a "universally good" person, it works. Create an ideal dude, and call him the son of god. Turns out that dude probably leads a happy and "good" life, and people will naturally happen to dig him.

Then tell a good story. People learn about how this "ideal" person acts. Yeah, people like that may or may not exist in real life. Yeah, the inspiration from the story probably came from some actual real people.

So Z might be historically inaccurate. It's not a religion, though, it just claims to have the truth. I see people everyday try to claim the truth. Eh, Z's just food for thought, maybe just a good story. I think it hits a lot of good stuff and flows really well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Expanding on this line of thought:

Joseph Campbell - The Hero's Journey
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...9572&hl=nl
56m
Old 08-15-2007, 01:28 AM

Hey Guys,

I watched parts of zeitgeist on a whim on seeing it from a website that proclaims it as something totally radical and totally unbelievable, something that would "wake you up" from what's happening in the world, and who's trying to hide it all.

Now, I know I'm new here, but please try to remain impartial about my credibility as I find subjects about this extremely fascinating and I'm no troll, I post in other forums all the time. Here's my 2 cents....

First off, As this video brings up good points about the banking system, and the Fed Reserve (The Fed act IS an illegal act, forbidden in the constitution) don't believe me? Look up what Jefferson said about ANYONE going away from the proven worth and real value of gold & silver. It's death. Our fore-fathers knew what they were doing, and did not fool around. However, this is not the subject I want to focus on.

I see this in a few other videos not so well put together, how they rig it all together as a focus point against Christianity, which is ludacris IMO.

Oh, and Nielsio, for what it's worth, I used to be like you as well, the logical mind. As you can see in my post, I'm still logical AND I can be religious. You most likely see this as an oxymoron. However, if one digs deep enough, one can see between the lines. Shades between the black and white, and sometimes even a highly contrasting yellow.

I used to be the guy that said to my friends who were religious, WHY do you continue to believe in this? saying stuff like "You're a smart guy, just be rational and you can see religion and god is a joke" There is one simple word which can begin to open the doors for you, or not. Wisdom.

For example, there are HUGE points that support Christianity. From completely debunking all the arguments, like mass hysteria, to looking at the subatomic level, you can find it if you look for it.

As with most things on the internet, I see this video as a (very well) organized piece with one goal of dismantling Christianity, and I further speculate that these are uber nerds with nothing better to do but be 101 fighting keyboardists for "freeing" people from the shackles of religion. They are JUST as extreme as the Islams. I also admit I personally looked for anything to back up my claims, to the point of beinging whatever I say to make it seem like I was right, uncanny I see you doing the same for yourself.

Also, I believe in evolution. Just wanted to get that out of the way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2007, 06:48 PM

A little update:

The movie now has over 2.7 millions views (and that's just counting the views of the full movie).

The facebook group of Zeitgeist now also has thousands of members.

It has really gone supernova.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:18 PM

I watched the first hour and half of this movie and I must say it's pretty sweet. I'll have to do some fact checking later on, but there is some stuff in there that I have already learned from various history classes and whatnot that I consider to be facts.

I really want to read up on the whole Jesus = Sun god and the ages stuff. Looks pretty interesting.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:37 PM